Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-31-2022, 01:32 AM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iPadOS 16.1/macOS Ventura

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-16/features/

https://www.apple.com/macos/ventura/features/

Out of the box, nothing about the updates seems likely to change my life or anything.

I'm interested in the Tab Groups improvements for Safari (something I only started using a couple of months ago, and that I really like). Gonna need to read up on Passkeys.

The one that's baffling me at the moment is Stage Manager. Seems like a total waste of screen, and on my iPad Pro there doesn't seem to be a keyboard shortcut to toggle it on and off. I must be missing something.

Looking forward to External display support for iPad. Can it use AirPlay displays, or does it need to connected with wire?

And Czech-English dictionary (but not yet Safari translation for Czech). A special interest of mine.

One might wish for Continuity Camera (Desk View, Studio Light, Portrait mode etc.) for iPadOS. Just sayin'. I have not tried it yet on my Mac, and don't see anything in System Settings about it.

'Desktop-Class Apps'. I guess they're referring to Apple's iPadOS apps. Have not looked at this yet.

I read that Ventura frees up a lot of disk space for system files, particularly for Intel Macs. That is result of dropping support for pre-2017 Macs. Fortunately I don't have any that old.

https://www.macworld.com/article/782...atibility.html
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:41 AM   #2
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I always wait for at least a .1, usually .2 or .3 release before upgrading anything. Give them a chance to work out bugs.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2022, 06:04 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I always wait for at least a .1, usually .2 or .3 release before upgrading anything. Give them a chance to work out bugs.
And never ever buy any 1st gen anything from Apple. They always screw it up.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
+1

I'm thinking of moving from Mojave to Monterey, but Ventura is far too new to risk yet.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #5
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
My Gen 1 Airpods seem fine compared to my Gen 2 Airpods.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2022, 09:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
My Gen 1 Airpods seem fine compared to my Gen 2 Airpods.
THis is Apple. There has to be something wrong with the 1st gen Airpods.
Old 11-02-2022, 01:04 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

2nd generation AirPods have better time between charges, support newer version of Bluetooth and pair faster. Sound-wise I think they are identical, and they added wireless charging battery case option (which also works with 1st gen AirPods). I still have a pair of the originals, though the battery is only good for a couple of hours of listening (they took a ride in the washing machine, which didn't help).

I have not had any issues with Ventura or iPadOS 16.1 so far. Apart from not understanding what's so nice about Stage Manager.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
THis is Apple. There has to be something wrong with the 1st gen Airpods.
So what is wrong with them. I used them for 3 years, and compared to the 2nd gen, the first gen is fine.
Old 11-02-2022, 06:33 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
2nd generation AirPods have better time between charges, support newer version of Bluetooth and pair faster. Sound-wise I think they are identical, and they added wireless charging battery case option (which also works with 1st gen AirPods). I still have a pair of the originals, though the battery is only good for a couple of hours of listening (they took a ride in the washing machine, which didn't help).

To me, there is a big difference between screwing things up, and adding/ improving features.

And I believe the first gen Airpods had a wireless charging case on release.
Old 11-02-2022, 08:06 AM   #10
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
To complete the picture though, any first issue of anything will be subject to problems until after it's mass-tested by the market. So it's not peculiar to Apple.
I remember in my own systems and programming days exactly the same thing, and it wasn't until something was live that you could be sure it worked.

One thing about Apple that I don't like though, is that they are very quiet about their problems. They will mess something up with an update, say nothing, then quietly sort it out in a later update.
How much better it would be if they admitted the problem and said they were working on it, as being on the receiving end of one of them, you waste an awful lot of time looking for what's wrong.
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
To me, there is a big difference between screwing things up, and adding/ improving features.

And I believe the first gen Airpods had a wireless charging case on release.
The first gen AirPods did not have this option. I would have opted for it.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:47 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

So far I cannot get Continuity Camera to work. The notes say it needs to be 'properly mounted' whatever that means. It says 'stable', 'near your Mac', 'rear cameras facing you and unobstructed' -- did that, but still no luck.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:52 PM   #13
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
The first gen AirPods did not have this option. I would have opted for it.
Oops, looks like you were right. Sorry about that.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:57 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
To complete the picture though, any first issue of anything will be subject to problems until after it's mass-tested by the market. So it's not peculiar to Apple.
I remember in my own systems and programming days exactly the same thing, and it wasn't until something was live that you could be sure it worked.

One thing about Apple that I don't like though, is that they are very quiet about their problems. They will mess something up with an update, say nothing, then quietly sort it out in a later update.
How much better it would be if they admitted the problem and said they were working on it, as being on the receiving end of one of them, you waste an awful lot of time looking for what's wrong.
One place you compare notes about issues is https://forums.macrumors.com

I'm checking there for clues about getting Continuity Camera working.

Update: got it working if I connect via USB, but not yet otherwise.

Last edited by tomsem; 11-02-2022 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-02-2022 at 02:05 PM.