Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-17-2022, 02:03 AM   #16
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I think I can hear a tiny BZZ noise if I hold my ear right up against the Kobo as I tap the screen, but it's so quiet I can't even be totally sure it's really happening. Coil whine varies between PC graphics cards, so it could be that my particular Kobo is quieter than others, or maybe my ears just aren't up to the challenge.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:30 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I think I can hear a tiny BZZ noise if I hold my ear right up against the Kobo as I tap the screen, but it's so quiet I can't even be totally sure it's really happening. Coil whine varies between PC graphics cards, so it could be that my particular Kobo is quieter than others, or maybe my ears just aren't up to the challenge.
You Kobo is not quieter then others. Mine makes no noise unless I use the buttons. I've also never heard my Kobo Aura H2O make any noise.

I've never heard any of my Sony Readers (with touch screens), Kindle PW3, or Nook STR make noise.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2022, 10:04 AM   #18
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You Kobo is not quieter then others. Mine makes no noise unless I use the buttons. .
No noise that you can hear. How old are you?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
No noise that you can hear. How old are you?
I'm almost 59. But even putting my Libra 2 to my ear I was unable to hear anything. I've had a touchscreen reader since the Sony Reader PRS-650 was released.
Old 09-17-2022, 05:29 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm almost 59. But even putting my Libra 2 to my ear I was unable to hear anything. I've had a touchscreen reader since the Sony Reader PRS-650 was released.
The highest frequency sound that can be detected by a human decreases with age, as early as 20 years old (probably even younger). There are devices that emit sound piercingly loud to teenagers that most adults don't hear at all.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2022, 05:31 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Can you hear this sound if you have the Kobo where you would when reading?
Old 09-17-2022, 11:11 PM   #22
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Not even close. I did return a GPU once for coil whine, and whatever sound the Libra is making is 10x quieter than that. My ears are able to hear up to ~17 kHz test tones, but coil whine isn't usually a super high pitch AFAIK. This is a case of low amplitude, not high frequency, I think.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 04:20 AM   #23
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Not even close. I did return a GPU once for coil whine, and whatever sound the Libra is making is 10x quieter than that. My ears are able to hear up to ~17 kHz test tones, but coil whine isn't usually a super high pitch AFAIK. This is a case of low amplitude, not high frequency, I think.
Frequency depends on the device, and it can often be higher frequency than people like John or I could hear.

Unfortunately the annoyance of coil whine has been replaced by the annoyance of tinnitus... and you can't switch that off
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:16 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
It is very possible that my ears aren't very sensitive (a misspent youth listening to loud music) so I tried watching Victoria, my cat, when I turn the pages without using buttons. No reaction. But she's used to the various noises I make, such as the clicking of my keyboard keys, so probably just ignores any lowish sounds. Also she's about 17 years old, so could be getting a bit deaf. (I can't be certain of her exact age as she was part of a feral colony.)
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote