Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-31-2021, 04:36 AM   #1111
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
The Jupiter one sounds like part of City by Clifford D Simak.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:26 PM   #1112
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The one on Jupiter sounds like Call Me Joe by Poul Anderson. You can read it here: https://www.baen.com/Chapters/978162...791085___2.htm
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #1113
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
that looks like a good story, but alas, not the one im looking for. This one for sure had the cockroach in a suit and carrying a briefcase. Also, there is another one where some guys were transformed to go down to jupitor, big hulking rhino type bodies, but none of them wanted to come back, turned out that that form was much better than human form. Those are the two that are in my mind to search for. Anybody know a site that might help with these kind of questions? Maybe like Penzler or something?
I recall a comic book adaptation of a story about someone whose body was transformed into a form that would be suitable for life on Jupiter. Could be the same story, but I can't remember the name of it. Seems to me his existence on Jupiter was a solitary one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 07:08 PM   #1114
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The one on Jupiter sounds like Call Me Joe by Poul Anderson. You can read it here: https://www.baen.com/Chapters/978162...791085___2.htm
I'm nearly positive that was the name of the story in the comic. Another story in the same issue of that comic was Isaac Asimov's "Does a Bee Care?" It was a great comic. Wish I could remember its name.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-07-2021 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Swypo corrected.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:41 AM   #1115
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur
BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
A story from Aesops Fables?

I wish ask if anyone knows of a story of a band that played very badly and the band leader thought that he could make them sound better by making them change places. Was it one from Aesop’s fables?
BrickyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2021, 06:28 PM   #1116
Bookworm0323
Bookworm0323 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
looking for title/author

Woman Returns to hometown faces past tragedy (death of child) gets back together with ex (father of children)

I first read this book in late 2006 early 2007. It was about a married couple who has three young children and somehow one of them dies.
It seems to me that it was an accident in the yard or house. Possibly involving blind chords. The mom was a nurse at a hospital and her husband can't get a hold of her and brings daughter to the ER (daughter is maybe twoish, surviving children are maybe 5 and 8. Following the accident the family is broken, the other kids were not given enough attention and everyone feels responsible for the accident. The book was told from the parents point of view mainly the wife though at times I believe it went back and forth between her and the husb/ex husb. The book doesn’t reveal details of accident till maybe mid-book.
The couple divorces. Later (10-15 years) the woman goes back to hometown or at least where she lived when she was married. (maybe to finalize divorce) at that time surviving children are grown the couple reunites. The husband owns or runs a book store or a coffee shop. I think when the couple reunited it was during the Christmas season.
Bookworm0323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:18 AM   #1117
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hopefully an easy one (relatively new book?)

Yesterday, my Kindle with special offers "offered" me a free Prime Reading book. It was a thriller with the Macguffin being world-changing consequences arising from a 60-year-old undelivered letter.

When I tried to download, the Kindle threw an error, and kicked me back to the book I was reading, and out of the offer area.

I can't find it on Amazon's site today. Obviously, I can't recall the author's name, but I think the title has the word "Memorial" in it.

EDIT: I just found it. "The Last Monument" by Michael Grumley. And it's NOT free for Prime Reading, which is probably a mistake that got corrected in the time between them sending me the offer and me trying to take advantage of it. Maybe it was a January title, and my screen hadn't updated yet by February 2? I'll go check Overdrive, can't see spending $7...

Last edited by curtw; 02-03-2022 at 11:34 AM.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 09:26 PM   #1118
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
The Jupiter one sounds like part of City by Clifford D Simak.
I first read this as the stand-alone story Desertion back in the 70's when I was a kid. I'd forgotten the author's name (but definitely not the story) and was surprised to find it again decades later as part of City.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 08:42 AM   #1119
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
Yesterday, my Kindle with special offers "offered" me a free Prime Reading book. It was a thriller with the Macguffin being world-changing consequences arising from a 60-year-old undelivered letter.

When I tried to download, the Kindle threw an error, and kicked me back to the book I was reading, and out of the offer area.

I can't find it on Amazon's site today. Obviously, I can't recall the author's name, but I think the title has the word "Memorial" in it.

EDIT: I just found it. "The Last Monument" by Michael Grumley. And it's NOT free for Prime Reading, which is probably a mistake that got corrected in the time between them sending me the offer and me trying to take advantage of it. Maybe it was a January title, and my screen hadn't updated yet by February 2? I'll go check Overdrive, can't see spending $7...
It is in the Kindle Unlimited program. My library has the audiobook, but not the e-book.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:35 PM   #1120
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
It is in the Kindle Unlimited program. My library has the audiobook, but not the e-book.
Thanks. After finding it, I checked out the Amazon reviews. Decided it’s a pass.
Spoiler:
Bad guys are modern Nazis.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #1121
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm0323 View Post
Woman Returns to hometown faces past tragedy (death of child) gets back together with ex (father of children)

I first read this book in late 2006 early 2007. It was about a married couple who has three young children and somehow one of them dies.
It seems to me that it was an accident in the yard or house. Possibly involving blind chords. The mom was a nurse at a hospital and her husband can't get a hold of her and brings daughter to the ER (daughter is maybe twoish, surviving children are maybe 5 and 8. Following the accident the family is broken, the other kids were not given enough attention and everyone feels responsible for the accident. The book was told from the parents point of view mainly the wife though at times I believe it went back and forth between her and the husb/ex husb. The book doesn’t reveal details of accident till maybe mid-book.
The couple divorces. Later (10-15 years) the woman goes back to hometown or at least where she lived when she was married. (maybe to finalize divorce) at that time surviving children are grown the couple reunites. The husband owns or runs a book store or a coffee shop. I think when the couple reunited it was during the Christmas season.
Sounds like a Jodi Picoult book
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:43 PM   #1122
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
The book I am looking for is actually a short story, but I am certain it was published in at least one collection of Isaac Asimov stories.

In the story almost all people acquired the ability to read by some fast and easy process, maybe by taking a pill or something. But there was a small proportion of children where that process did not work and they had to learn to read the old fashioned way. These children were considered unintelligent by their peers, most adults, and even themselves.

Spoiler:
It turns out that they weren't so dumb after all and theit teachers knew it.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 02:12 AM   #1123
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The book I am looking for is actually a short story, but I am certain it was published in at least one collection of Isaac Asimov stories.

In the story almost all people acquired the ability to read by some fast and easy process, maybe by taking a pill or something. But there was a small proportion of children where that process did not work and they had to learn to read the old fashioned way. These children were considered unintelligent by their peers, most adults, and even themselves.

Spoiler:
It turns out that they weren't so dumb after all and theit teachers knew it.
It is by Isaac Asimov, and it's called Profession.

It's even available on-line, by permission of Doubleday: https://www.abelard.org/asimov.php
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 08:17 PM   #1124
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
Time Travel + cockroach statue

I am still looking for the title of the short story about a group of guys who travel to the future one at a time, come back and just start drinking themselves silly, until one explains that the first thing he saw when he arrived in the future was a statue of a cockroach.....wearing a suit and hat and carrying a briefcase.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:20 AM   #1125
SomeSteve
Groupie
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblacknail View Post
I am still looking for the title of the short story about a group of guys who travel to the future one at a time, come back and just start drinking themselves silly, until one explains that the first thing he saw when he arrived in the future was a statue of a cockroach.....wearing a suit and hat and carrying a briefcase.
Well, a couple of things here fit, many don't, but at least there's a cockroach:

"The Figure" by Edward Grendon, originally in Astounding Science Fiction, July 1947. It has been anthologized a few times.

https://archive.org/details/Astoundi...e/n45/mode/2up
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths