Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 11-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2 & PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
Re: 1., do you have a specific search term that exhibits the issue with this dict?
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:00 PM   #17
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Alita
@NiLuJe Here’s the most recent one I looked up: “demon”. Instead of showing you “demon” noun 1, noun 2, followed by the synonym match “daemon” noun 1, noun 2, it instead shows the “daemon” entries before the “demon” entries. I used the command line sdcv and got the same results, so it’s fore sure an sdcv thing.

But forget all that for now and let me know what you think of the dictionary!

Last edited by mbrisco; 11-17-2022 at 01:33 AM.
mbrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:30 AM   #18
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinoptic View Post
Anyone? And I would be interested in the shorter version referenced above.

Edit: I’ve found a site that purports to have it but it looks dodgy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post

Finally, the wonderful fellow has seen it fit to release what he has. StarDict SOED optimized for KOReader!

This is the version styled to work with e-Ink (grayscale):
This one is identical to the e-Ink version but uses color (not the best colors and not a lot of time spent on the color choices, but you can play around with the CSS and suggest better ones here):
@Martinoptic This is the first time he's uploaded it, so I'm curious what that other dodgy site you found earlier is. PM me
The site I referred to has the 2nd edition, NOT the good fellow’s shorter edition. I apologise for the confusion.

Last edited by Martinoptic; 11-17-2022 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Clarification
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 07:32 AM   #19
Martinoptic
Bibliolater
Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martinoptic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Thank you for posting this!
Martinoptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:37 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2 & PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa & Sage
#magic

(c.f., https://github.com/Dushistov/sdcv/issues/89)

Code:
Found 4 items, similar to demon.
0)Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 6th Ed.-->demon
1)Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 6th Ed.-->demon
2)Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 6th Ed.-->daemon
3)Shorter Oxford English Dictionary, 6th Ed.-->daemon
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:16 AM   #21
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
Is there any way I can use this on Kobo without Koreader?
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 04:42 AM   #22
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)
mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbrisco ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@NiLuJe Wow that's a lot more involved than I would have thought, but I see you've made previous pull requests to sdcv. Anything I can do to help? Seems like what you need though is advice from the project owner.

@Ned There are some instructions floating around for converting StarDict to the Kobo dictionary format, but I don't know how well they'd work on a more full-featured StarDict dictionary like this, or whether Kobo dictionaries support non-embedded CSS or even inline CSS. I know nothing about Kobo dicts unfortunately

Addendum: I tested this dictionary on KOReader on Kobo and on Kindle, and while Kobo seems to look up everything instantly, Kindle randomly has a several-second delay when looking up words. Sometimes it's instant, especially right after looking up another word a few seconds ago, but mostly it takes several seconds. I don't quite get why. Maybe some refresh/CPU timing thing for Kindle interfering with sdcv.
Old 11-23-2022, 11:52 PM   #23
Chrona93
Chrona93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrisco View Post

Finally, the wonderful fellow has seen it fit to release what he has. StarDict SOED optimized for KOReader!

This is the version styled to work with e-Ink (grayscale):
This one is identical to the e-Ink version but uses color (not the best colors and not a lot of time spent on the color choices, but you can play around with the CSS and suggest better ones here):
Notes
  1. KOReader uses the `sdcv`utility for its internal StarDict lookups. This utility has a bug where it returns synonym matches before primary matches, which is not the designed order for this dictionary (or any dictionary, probably). The `sdcv` repository looks abandoned and they seemingly don't respond to issues or anything, so maybe @NiLuJe can take things into his own hands for the KOReader build as far as this goes.
  2. KOReader uses MuPDF to render its dictionary. MuPDF added support for small-caps with version 1.16 in 2019, but KOReader is stuck using version 1.13. There is a stalled effort to bump MuPDF to 1.17 in KOReader, even though 1.20 is the latest version. If we can get at least 1.16 on KOReader, the dictionary will look even better because the CSS uses small-caps to indicate linked headwords within entries (which just show up as bold right now). Again, appeal to @NiLuJe.
  3. MuPDF also doesn't even support CSS pseudo-elements even in its latest release for whatever reason, which makes "special notes" blocks in the dictionary entries look rather unremarkable, so that may be fixed in a future version.
  4. KOReader doesn't support highlighting text within dictionary lookups. You can chain look up words from dictionary entries by holding down on them. This lack of highlighting makes it almost impossible to know what word you're holding down to lookup and often you end up selecting multiple lines instead of a single word. Once again, @NiLuJe, plz
  5. I advise shrinking the KOReader dictionary font size for a better experience with this dictionary. I use font 14 but I have young eyes, so you might go for something larger if you want. The default is 20 in the KOReader settings.
  6. I advise reading the SOED guide if you want to get the most out of the dictionary, though most things should be straightforward. First line is the word, pronunciation, part of speech, earliest use date. Then the entry, which can be followed by quotation and example usages in phrases. Afterwards, you have compound phrases that use the word. Then at the end you have derived words, like conjugations. Some entries also have special notes at the end. The last thing in each entry is the etymology. In the download, there is included a list of the HTML tags used in the dictionary and what each of them marks.
  7. You can look up phrases. This dictionary is great for that. It'll link you to the main entry since StarDict doesn't support linking to anchors (I think), but if you scroll down, you'll find the phrase you looked up, guaranteed.
  8. This takes advantage of bidirectional StarDict synonyms to minimize file size (the same word can point to multiple entries, and the same entry can have multiple words pointing to it), so it's only about 32mb for the entire dictionary.

The fellow in question welcomes any mistakes or suggestions. This is the 6th edition, and several fixes have been made on it already by the fellow to fix mistakes that were present even in the base dictionary.

---

@Martinoptic This is the first time he's uploaded it, so I'm curious what that other dodgy site you found earlier is. PM me
Hey, sorry for the dumb question but how does one get this working with koreader? I try simply putting the zip into the /data/dict/ folder as said at https://github.com/koreader/koreader...ionary-support but it's undetected. Do I need to convert this with penelope or pyglossary first, and how would I go about doing that?
Chrona93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 11:59 AM   #24
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [Kids edition], Kindle PW1
You need to unpack that zip archive and copy the files inside as a subdirectory inside /data/dict:

shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #25
Chrona93
Chrona93 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
You need to unpack that zip archive and copy the files inside as a subdirectory inside /data/dict:

Thanks. The zips seem to have problems opening with engrampa on Linux so that's why I got confused, they open fine elsewhere though so I guess this is a bug with engrampa.
Chrona93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #26
AvijitBis
AvijitBis began at the beginning.

Device: None
The kindle dictionary used by amazon is the best one in my opinion. but it's not available in stardict format and i don't know how to convert it myself. I do have the files here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mS3...usp=share_link
I wish any expert will look into this
AvijitBis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:57 AM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvijitBis View Post
The kindle dictionary used by amazon is the best one in my opinion. but it's not available in stardict format and i don't know how to convert it myself. I do have the files here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mS3...usp=share_link
I wish any expert will look into this
Sorry, but the English dictionary used by Kobo is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 05:18 PM   #28
mbrisco
(gtfo/freak)

Which dictionaries do the Kobo and Kindle use? Oxford Dictionary of English and New Oxford American Dictionary? They're nice but not as thorough as the OED and SOED. You wouldn't want to read entire OED entries on your mobile device anyway, hence the SOED

Tags
dictionary, koreader, oed, soed, wiktionary