Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-24-2022, 07:48 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
How do you tag?

Has anyone created a set of tags and just stuck with them? I can't seem to make up my mind and keep changing them. I use heirarchal tags and I have so many redundant ones it's like I just want to delete them all and start over, but I have too many books to do it.

I have 5387 books with 3997 tags plus a columns for characters and genres.

Has anyone just started over?

Suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Tags are like the Dark Arts. Constant vigilance is needed.
Fix, avoid recreating. That is an insane amount of work.

I just browse Manage Tags and adjust there (sometimes I do need to search for members).

I clean the Nonsense (to me).
Fiction (that is assumed. I do tag non-Fiction)
Series name (as a tag)
'Identifiers' listed in Tags
'A novel'

I merge name variants. expand abbreviations like SF (I leave things like FBI)
I break apart: Action & Adventure or Mystery and Detective (2 tags)
I also standardize on and or &

I use hierarchical with the base the primary. I remove the reverse. It is not needed because Calibre search will find all And I fix those that had periods and got misapplied

Science Fiction.Military
Military.Science Fiction
non-Fiction.Military
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
This may be of interest: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=348443
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:19 PM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After finding this slight mess I've been considering doing my own re-organization. I figure I'll just copy everything to an #oldtags column and then gradually sort through it.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:26 AM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Has anyone created a set of tags and just stuck with them?
Yes. I use 20-30 tags with more than 25,000 books and generally stick with them. They're not hierarchical. I've found that creating subgenres and subcategories is a quick way to madness and hell, so I don't use them. I delete all tags that come with books and enter my own, and that's it. Sometimes I use temporary tags for fixing something, but they're strictly temporary.

I don't read much nonfiction, so I manage to keep it simple. Tagging nonfiction would be more complicated than tagging fiction and would possibly require subcategories. For fiction main genre tags are enough IMO. To try to tag everything down to the smallest details would quickly lead to chaos if you had a large library.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-25-2022 at 03:28 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 06:34 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I usually only define tags for genres, that's all, and I usually stuck to them, that's all. Custom columns, however, is another beast.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 07:07 AM   #7
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I usually only define tags for genres, that's all, and I usually stuck to them, that's all. Custom columns, however, is another beast.
Personally, I have different columns for different booktypes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-11-25 08_05_58-Window.png
Views:	98
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	198003

Fiction, nonfiction, magazines and comics use Subjects (which is derived from Tags).

Documentation uses Documentation.

Fanfiction uses Fandom.

I have a grouped search, category, which combines these three categories for easier searching and also use in the Similar Books.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:16 AM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I also have several custom columns, but they have nothing to do with genres or book types, because I read novels almost exclusively anyway. I have no fanfic, short stories, magazines or comics in my library. Nor documents, those I keep in a folder outside Calibre.

One custom column indicates which books are on which devices, one indicates which books I want to read more than others and so on.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 01:46 AM   #9
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Lol....those columns...I am looking at my main library holding...120 columns. Many are just single dates, or single items, or y/n, placeholder columns to store tags before cleaning, etc. Still my tag browser is pretty long.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 02:32 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
Lol....those columns...I am looking at my main library holding...120 columns. Many are just single dates, or single items, or y/n, placeholder columns to store tags before cleaning, etc. Still my tag browser is pretty long.
I have less columns but a lot of them are calculated.... And for placeholders before cleaning... that happens in another library
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 11:33 AM   #11
uli
Zealot
uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.uli can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo, Calibre
I've been using the Goodreads metadata downloader for years over 10 years. Happy I spent time tweaking the tag mapping of +900 down to 50 more general tags. Very satisfied with the results.

Only peeve is "Fantasy" seems to be added to every second Science Fiction novel... noting is perfect.
uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:38 PM   #12
Fynjisx
Connoisseur
Fynjisx began at the beginning.

Device: xiaomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I merge name variants.
Can you show some examples of what you mean?
Quote:
I break apart: Action & Adventure or Mystery and Detective (2 tags)
Action & Adventure in the list of tags are two different tags or like one?
Quote:
I also standardize on and or &
like this?
Quote:
I use hierarchical with the base the primary. I remove the reverse.
non-Fiction.Military
do you remove the reverse with a plugin??
Fynjisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 07:27 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fynjisx View Post
Can you show some examples of what you mean?

Action & Adventure in the list of tags are two different tags or like one?

like this?

do you remove the reverse with a plugin??
Name variants (even the publisher mess this up between books in a series)
Sometimes I INSERT a tie-breaker into a series that multiple authors chose but are not related. series (Author initials) < paren do not mess up Author Sort

Always Mystery not Mysteries (I singularize most things )

Most of my work uses the human Eyeball Mk1. and the brain (does this make sense in this context. What did I do last time ). I decide which version of a tag to keep. For hierarchical, what is the primary tag Science Fiction.Military or Military.Science Fiction
Remember. there are differences between what an Author tags (trying to SELL) vs what a Librarian does (file). Authors, that customers as stupid that need every possible keyword for a topic, to be able to find their book on a site (do I really need every mythical creature listed for a sword&sorcery book?)

Calibre does have tools that can filter some during import. Preferences:Adding books: Adding Actions: Filters... (buttons near bottom)

Remember Rule #1
It is YOUR LIBRARY. Do it your way. What we offer is advice on what did or did not work for us.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 02:18 PM   #14
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I did a major reorganization of tags in 2019 and stick to only about 10 categories with a couple of those having subcategories to aid when making recommendations to family members. I have over 5,000 ebooks and magazines, so yeah, it's a lot of work, particularly as I was starting off with the categories given by publishers (nightmare!). Mobilereads member suggested just working on the tag manager on the left and that eliminated a LOT of work. I just used my 8 categories and deleted a lot of stuff (I added 2 later). Only about 15% of stuff was left without a category but easy to find later on.

That said, if you want several tags for each book, go for it. Make it useful to you. Some folks like to group books by published year in addition to the genre, for instance.

Last edited by Tarana; 12-27-2022 at 07:58 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 10:24 PM   #15
Montana Harper
Zealot
Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Montana Harper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone 12, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I use the BISAC subject headings, made into hierarchical tags. It took some setting up and a little bit of annual upkeep since they update the entries annually, but it works for me. I use dummy "books" with all the tags (one for each major subject heading) and don't allow any extraneous tags in the default "Tags" field.

I also have a secondary tag column that I use to build other columns out of. That's where I track the epub version number (if there is one), edition number (if there is one), regional version, if I have the audiobook, etc. It's also where I track temporary to-do tags for my processing workflow.
Montana Harper is offline   Reply With Quote