Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-10-2022, 11:43 AM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
P.S.:

I'm still trying to understand why the POSTER image matters inside Sigil. I am not...I'm not criticizing the poster's query. I'm simply trying to understand it better--perhaps there's a workaround. ???

Hitch
I think they're just assuming that if Sigil shows it, then there must be a way to make other readers show it (with some special coding) too. Maybe. *shrug*
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:02 PM   #47
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I think they're just assuming that if Sigil shows it, then there must be a way to make other readers show it (with some special coding) too. Maybe. *shrug*
Buuut, I think that s/he said that it was showing in other readers, but NOT in Sigil?

Hmmmm

H
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #48
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
If the OP wants to force a specific image placeholder for a video for older readers, then adding the poster attribute to the video tag with a url to a still image in the book should do that.

The default (first frame) image placeholder works in Sigil without the need to add the poster attribute, but adding the proper poster attribute and value may be required for some older readers.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:30 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Buuut, I think that s/he said that it was showing in other readers, but NOT in Sigil?

Hmmmm

H
I'm pretty sure it was the opposite. The video itself is playing in both Sigil and on "other readers", but the thumbnail image is only showing in Sigil and NOT on "other readers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by increase View Post
The video plays in an epub reader but the thumbnail image does not show on the reader, yet it displays in the sigil page
Quote:
It is the video thumbnail it displays on the sigil page but when I open the reader it shows blank yet the video plays ok

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-10-2022 at 03:32 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 04:16 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm pretty sure it was the opposite. The video itself is playing in both Sigil and on "other readers", but the thumbnail image is only showing in Sigil and NOT on "other readers."
Yup, proof positive. I'm losing the marbles that are yet in the old bag....so to speak....

Hitch
Old 10-14-2022, 12:51 AM   #51
increase
Connoisseur
increase began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
P.S.:

I'm still trying to understand why the POSTER image matters inside Sigil. I am not...I'm not criticizing the poster's query. I'm simply trying to understand it better--perhaps there's a workaround. ???

Hitch
Its not the poster inside Sigil, that displays correctly, it is the reader (Iam using Moon reader Pro) that does not display the thumbnail
increase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:49 AM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Its not the poster inside Sigil, that displays correctly, it is the reader (Iam using Moon reader Pro) that does not display the thumbnail
Okay, so, here's a question then and I probably misread this earlier in the thread too or overlooked/skimmed it:

Does anybody know if MoonReader does show posters for video content in the first damn place?

In other words, do you have any actual reason to think that what you're coding is wrong or incorrect? Have you ever seen an embedded video, from a commercially-made ePUB, with a poster, work with the poster visible in MoonReader?

Hitch
Old 10-21-2022, 06:45 AM   #53
MicroDrie
Connoisseur
MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MicroDrie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, Linux Mint, Tablet, and Telephone
Video support in Epub

Quote:

In other words, do you have any actual reason to think that what you're coding is wrong or incorrect? Have you ever seen an embedded video, from a commercially-made ePUB, with a poster, work with the poster visible in MoonReader?

Hitch
In the past I have studied the phenomenon of video in an epub. I have found out through experience that something that is displayed correctly in Sigil is unfortunately no guarantee that this is also the case on another Epub reader.

Sigil follows the Epub standard very well, Epub readers usually follow it only very limited. You should be happy if the video is showing and anything more like display buttons and poster is usually not possible for more than the default key.

When HTML5 was introduced, not everything immediately worked perfectly in all web browsers. However, for HTML5 there are brenchmarks that show what a web browser does and does not support. Unfortunately I haven't seen a single brenchmark for Epub readers yet. As a result, there is no incentive for the makers of Epub readers to strive for their Epub readers to fully support the Epub standard.

And so unfortunately the development of an Epub reader is stuck on a digital plain text version of a paper book where you can be happy that the Epub reader can be displayed with many limitations with perhaps some text formatting and a video.

You may find that the attached Epub file shows which HTML commands your Epub reader supports. If an option is shown in red, it is not possible to use it in your Epub reader under any circumstances. But even with a green display, a completely correct display is not always the case, because only the acceptance of an HTML5 command can be tested, not the correctness of the display of the HTML5 command.

After a lot of research I have not succeeded in overruling the standard display of a video with my own control keys. In principle, there are many HTML5 examples on the Internet that are displayed correctly on a standard browser. The fact that the poster is not displayed on the Moon reader, but is displayed correctly on Sigil, leads me to the conclusion that the code is good, but that the Moon reader does not support a poster with a video.

If someone does have a poster view for a video, I'm very curious about the code of that Epub.
Attached Files
File Type: epub ModenizrTests.epub (41.7 KB, 58 views)
MicroDrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:40 PM   #54
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroDrie View Post
Unfortunately I haven't seen a single brenchmark for Epub readers yet.
EPUBTest.org.

Their older website (pre-2017) used to have compatibility/functionality tests across lots of devices/apps. (Similar to CanIUse.com for HTML+CSS.)

They were testing all sorts of things in the EPUB specs like:
  • HTML5
    • <audio>/<video>, <figure>, <article>, <section>, ...
  • CSS3
    • Counters, calc(), ...
  • MathML
  • SVG
  • Media overlays
  • alt text
  • hidden in the <spine>
  • [...]

I wrote about it most recently in:

Quote:
And so unfortunately the development of an Epub reader is stuck on a digital plain text version of a paper book where you can be happy that the Epub reader can be displayed with many limitations with perhaps some text formatting and a video.
I also discussed this to death years and years ago:

At the time, I thought AZARDI / Infogrid Pacific had a fantastic EPUB/ebook analysis in their old blogposts.

If I remember correctly, they used an analogy:

"Currently, ebooks are like looking at a book under a piece of glass."

AZARDI was then describing ways to display+look through the ebooks in a more useful way.

Ebooks should be ENHANCEMENTS on top of a physical book, not just a "glass" replacement.

(Of course, I still love ebooks and am a 100% ebook reader, but the blog did make many good points.)

Since then, there's been slow, but steady progress in some of these areas.

(Like popup+bottom-of-the-screen footnotes or multi-language support.)

But yep, there can definitely be more ebook-only enhancements.

- - -

Side Note: Personally though, I think <audio> + <video> ARE NOT one of those features.

See my posts in:

where I described many of those "INTERACTIVE/MULTIMEDIA EBOOKS" failures over the decades. (Kindle-in-Motion, etc.)

- - -

Side Note #2: On AZARDI + their old blog...

I remember during the introduction of EPUB3 + merging of IPDF with W3C, they also had very good posts on the "wrong direction" EPUB3 was taking.

They were bringing up many important points that are still relevant today.

(Now, this info is very hard to find, because the old URLs are mostly dead. You'd have to use Archive.org to recover them.)

Quote:
The fact that the poster is not displayed on the Moon reader, but is displayed correctly on Sigil, leads me to the conclusion that the code is good, but that the Moon reader does not support a poster with a video.
Moon+ Reader is abysmal. They do not follow the EPUB specs. They completely override everything and try to force the book into their mold.

I most recently described this again in:

Here's a piece of one of my posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Moon+ Reader is horrible. I've written about why many times over the years. Some reasons:
  • No <table>s
  • No SVG
  • Completely overriding publisher CSS
    • Breaking essential formatting like poetry + scenebreaks.
  • Locking Text-to-Speech (TTS) behind paywall.

[...]
Quote:
If someone does have a poster view for a video, I'm very curious about the code of that Epub.
Most likely similar code to what's online and works in web browsers... except no EPUB3 readers (except maybe latest version of iBooks + Readium) would support such a thing right now.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-21-2022 at 04:11 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #55
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

This ^ Tex's post, above:

is why I asked if the bloody poster EVER shows up. I mean, from commercially, competently-made eBooks, rather than MicroDrie's experiment(s).

Are we, in fact, chasing a coding glitch or are we chasing a unicorn?

AFAIK or remember, Moon+Reader is bloody abysmal and while it's one thing to go coding and chasing and testing something that we've all SEEN work, it's entirely another to try to invent the damn wheel for an eReader that has basically turned its back and spit on the wheel in the first place. Every single time I get a customer having layout hysterics, it's almost inevitably, yes, yes yes, Moon+Reader.

So, before we all leap into the pool: has anybody, here, anybody at all, ever seen a movie/video poster display in Moon+Reader? Going once, going twice...

Hitch
Old 10-21-2022, 04:30 PM   #56
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I mean, from commercially, competently-made eBooks, rather than MicroDrie's experiment(s).

Are we, in fact, chasing a coding glitch or are we chasing a unicorn?
Well, again, it's like HTML5+CSS3 + all the Accessibility stuff...

"Progressive Enhancement" + "Graceful Degradation" are 2 key concepts.

I mean, it wouldn't hurt if you coded the stuff correctly.

Just that the poster image wouldn't work in the current EPUB3 readers.

Doesn't mean a future device/app wouldn't be able to take advantage of it though. :P

So you have to:

1. Temper your expectations.
2. Always remember to test fallbacks + various devices.

(For example, you don't want to code your ebook in a way that makes it unreadable on all the old devices. Like old Kindles, etc. See InDesign's iBooks-only EPUB3 output...)

Quote:
Moon+Reader is bloody abysmal and [...] it's entirely another to try to invent the damn wheel for an eReader that has basically turned its back and spit on the wheel in the first place. Every single time I get a customer having layout hysterics, it's almost inevitably, yes, yes yes, Moon+Reader.
LOL.

Another one I ran across a few years ago, the author was still using the ancient "EPUBReader" addon for Firefox.

He's sending me a screenshot of my "broken ebook". I've never seen such an example in my entire life, and there was NO WAY my simple/clean HTML+CSS could even produce such an outcome...

So I told him to:
  • Install ADE
    • As I described in one of the initial emails...
  • Install Thorium Reader
    • As I described in one of the initial emails...

He never followed those instructions, and instead, the EPUBs were just opening up in his default program—EPUB Reader—(which must've been installed at least 10 years before).

You can't make up some of this stuff...

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 10-21-2022 at 04:43 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote