Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-21-2024, 09:36 AM   #751
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
One technique for RH doing R to L or a LH person doing L to R is to have the page at a right-angle and learn write vertically "downhill". I don't know if that helps for a Scribe.

I've seen the claw writer!

I've abandoned notes on my eInk Sage and Elipsa. I use either Gboard handwriting (converts to text from finger or digitiser-active pen for any app) or Nebo which is hugely better than the version on Kobo. A TCL NxtPaper 11 Android 13 tablet. The Gboard seems to be installable on at least old as Android 7.0. Scroll on Keyboard layouts and turn off slurping in Privacy.
Leave on cursor move via slide on space bar.
Tap on existing keyboard language to add handwriting and PC Keyboard, not on add Keyboard.

Turn off most options.

Works on my ancient Android 7.0 phone to "type" in Jota Notes with a finger handwriting. Very nice on 11" tablet with Digitiser active pen.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-21-2024 at 09:41 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 02:13 PM   #752
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
What did your wife ever figure out with this?
Unfortunately this ended up being a deal breaker for her; despite loving the device overall, she never found a way to use it comfortably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
One technique for RH doing R to L or a LH person doing L to R is to have the page at a right-angle and learn write vertically "downhill". I don't know if that helps for a Scribe.
That would work, but requires re-learning how to write. My wife wasn’t open to this, but perhaps this might work for you, kevinp.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 04:35 PM   #753
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post

That would work, but requires re-learning how to write. My wife wasn’t open to this
Yes, that's the snag and I understand her viewpoint. I'd rather a different gadget than doing that.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:27 AM   #754
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
That would work, but requires re-learning how to write. My wife wasn’t open to this, but perhaps this might work for you, kevinp.
I'm 56 years old. I'm not about to relearn to write just for this tablet! Guess I will wait until there is a real solution for this.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 12:26 PM   #755
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Yes, that's the snag and I understand her viewpoint. I'd rather a different gadget than doing that.
What I quite don't understand is the inability to simply turn the touch screen off like we can on Oasis. Or have a toggle switch on the writing toolbar (both/touch only/pen only). Or even automatically ignore all touch input when it detects the pen in close proximity until a timeout or touch/pen on writing toolbar. So many missed opportunity. All this can be done optionally if you want, doesn't have to be forced.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 02:30 PM   #756
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
What I quite don't understand is the inability to simply turn the touch screen off like we can on Oasis. Or have a toggle switch on the writing toolbar (both/touch only/pen only). Or even automatically ignore all touch input when it detects the pen in close proximity until a timeout or touch/pen on writing toolbar. So many missed opportunity. All this can be done optionally if you want, doesn't have to be forced.
Yes, some or all of those on other products or iOS/Android apps.
The Scribe is not the only option. I did seriously consider it, but I'll never buy one now, not even cheap S/H. Maybe if very cheap out of curiosity. I don't need one to test ebook compatibility.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-25-2024 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-26-2024, 10:07 PM   #757
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, some or all of those on other products or iOS/Android apps.
The Scribe is not the only option. I did seriously consider it, but I'll never buy one now, not even cheap S/H. Maybe if very cheap out of curiosity. I don't need one to test ebook compatibility.
I like mine, only wished I could turn off the pen functionality as I almost never use it. Bought mainly as a large display reader, and as that it doesn't disappoint.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:08 AM   #758
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
I like mine, only wished I could turn off the pen functionality as I almost never use it. Bought mainly as a large display reader, and as that it doesn't disappoint.
Hide the Writing Toolbar and the pen will only do what a finger would do.

You can still use it for Notebooks if you ever want to, the toolbar will still be there of course.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:39 AM   #759
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just bought my Scribe while in the U.S., and I love it.

But, as mentioned earlier, I too would love to see some kind of implementation to disable the touch screen completely (as in the Kindle Oasis) - especially on such a wonderful reader with an excellent screen. I use mine only for reading and like to hold it in different ways while I read.

If you want it for reading, it offers a wonderful reading experience.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:00 PM   #760
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Hide the Writing Toolbar and the pen will only do what a finger would do.

You can still use it for Notebooks if you ever want to, the toolbar will still be there of course.
Yes, I do have my writing bar off. It still costs battery life to have the stylus field turned on. Not a real issue, as battery life is excellent, even with the stylus turned on all the time. But it could be better.
Old 03-01-2024, 06:05 AM   #761
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I went ahead and bought a Scribe despite being a lefty. I realized I didn't write with a "claw", but from the left and just drag my hand through the ink. I would end up with ink all over my fingers.

Anyway, my premium pen wasn't working. I could hold it a half inch above the tablet and it would write. I contacted Amazon, and without any questions they sent me a new pen. Then I searched for the problem online and someone said they beat the pen against their knee a few times and it started working. So, I tried that and the pen started working fine.

So far I'm quite happy with the Scribe. Even what little writing I've done so far worked great. I made one PDF as a template and used the "send to Kindle" web site. I learned a little about formatting and making sure all pages were in portrait mode since I wasn't able to turn them on the Scribe.

I'm still trying to get used to the huge screen for reading. I've spent the past few years reading on the little screen of my 10th gen PW and only recently started reading on an 11th gen PW I bought for my mother and got back after she died.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 10:02 AM   #762
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Yeah, that big screen is great for reading but takes a little getting used to. I love it.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:32 PM   #763
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I love my scribe. I use it to keep track of books read, a diary and my expenses and general scribble
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:46 PM   #764
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I'm still trying to get used to the huge screen for reading.
For novels, give landscape with two column mode a try. Before they added the two column mode, landscape mode for novels was near useless as the lines were just too long to comfortably read, IMO.
Old Today, 04:30 AM   #765
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I’m tempted to buy the Scribe for the large screen, as an e-reader, I have no use for Notes. I currently have a Kindle 6.8 and a Kobo Forma. I love the Forma but it’s flaky and I’d prefer a large e-reader in the Kindle family. What do people think who use the Scribe only as an e-reader? Thanks
Josieb1 is online now   Reply With Quote