Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #46
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
According to my UPS tracking number, the device shipped from China on April 22nd and will arrive April 26th. I'll have pics and a report sometime next week. Specs and hardware are identical to the Haleron Mini. We'll see...

Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:48 AM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Ill have mine on Monday as well. Last I checked it was in Alaska.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #48
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
*patiently waits*
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #49
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Is it soup yet?
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #50
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Stumbled upon some new devices...

In my explorations today, I ran across these new devices:

First up, the Sovos eReader+ for £99.99/$130US
Features:
  • Color TFT 5 inch Display
  • 1GB Internal Memory
  • SD Card Slot
  • Integrated Speaker
  • EBook Formats supported:ANSI/UNICODE TXT/PDF/HTML/FB2/PDB/EPUB
  • Voice recorder function
  • 3.5mm Stereo earphone jack
  • Battery Life: 7 hrs Ebook, 5 hrs Video, 30 hrs audio
  • Currently available for preorder in the UK Link

Next, a 7inch MID from Eken
Features:
  • Seven-inch, 800 x 480 display
  • 2GB Internal Storage
  • SD Card Slot
  • Android 1.5
  • Battery Life 2 hrs?!?!?!?!
  • Cheap @ $680 RMB in China or roughly $99.53USD
  • Link

Finally, and the one that has me the most interested.....
Velocity Micro announced they are releasing two new devices. Slashgear source article and Device website

Both devices come with the following features:
  • 7 inch Color Screen, capacitive touch
  • Apps Market
  • Android 2.1
  • Expandable storage via both SD and USB Storage
  • Accelerometer
  • 3.5mm headphone socket
  • User-replaceable battery
  • Integrated speaker and microphone

Then the Cruz Tablet adds a 2-megapixel front-facing webcam together with a docking station that charges the slate as well as allowing it to work as a digital picture frame.

The cheaper Cruz reader is supposed to come in at $199.99 this summer, with the Cruz Tablet coming in at $299.99.

I think I may have found my device in the Cruz Tablet.

Last edited by jalandar; 04-25-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 PM   #51
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sovos (1st link) is the Delstar new model

the Eken model is the rebranded version of what Katelyn and I are waiting on. Although it mentions Android 1.5 in that review and I should be getting one that is 1.6 and upgradable to 2.1
Old 04-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #52
jalandar
Connoisseur

Please test out the battery life and let us know how it goes, the reported 2 hours is not very flattering, even at that price point.

I would be willing to fork out $300 for that Cruz tablet though, the camera and other features are quite sweet. I was leaning towards the $199 Archos 7, and I still may do that, and then get the Cruz down the road since it wont be out for a bit anyway. But if the one you and Katelyn are getting has better battery life than reported, it may be worth a look.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #53
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Mine has arrived and its currently charging. only played with it a moment. it couldn't find my home network currently. could be a because its not charged.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #54
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katelyn View Post
According to my UPS tracking number, the device shipped from China on April 22nd and will arrive April 26th. I'll have pics and a report sometime next week. Specs and hardware are identical to the Haleron Mini. We'll see...

Please, I'm curious, is this really the device's interface or is this a mock lPad joke?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:24 PM   #55
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Mine was delayed a day due to plane problems but will arrive tomorrow. In regard to the image, only Dullin knows right now but that is a real photo of the same device type we bought. I'll know tomorow!

Last edited by Katelyn; 04-26-2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #56
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Please, I'm curious, is this really the device's interface or is this a mock lPad joke?
Thats basically the Android "home screen" interface that comes "stock". You have rows of Icons to choose from and that sort of quick launch bar at the bottom where you can locate a few icons that you use regularly.

Sorry my flash isnt working.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0850.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	50557  

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-26-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #57
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Thats basically the Android "home screen" interface that comes "stock". You have rows of Icons to choose from and that sort of quick launch bar at the bottom where you can locate a few icons that you use regularly.

Sorry my flash isnt working.
Thank you, that looks interesting.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #58
Dulin's Books
Wizard

I've got Aldiko and FBReader J loaded. for some reason Aldiko is opening the books upside down.... The program opens rightside up just the books are upside down.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #59
Katelyn
Addict

Looks like it's an unbranded Eken. Here is a video posted just yesterday by shanzai.com.

Last edited by Katelyn; 04-26-2010 at 08:01 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #60
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Ladies and gentleman ... we have soup!

When you've had a chance -- do send us a thorough assessment. (Thanks for the pic in the meantime!) I am still not clear if the unit is, indeed, upgradeable to Android 2.1 or whether it will have access to the Android Market. Thanks!
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, tablet