Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-20-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
Krishirex
Krishirex began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Irex DR1000 Software Version 1.01, 20 October, Latest news

Hi All, Just saw Latest news on Irextech website Support page in a box on the right side of page - software version 1.01 with some improvements, no mention of battery life, but it shows they are working on things to improve their DR. Mine arrives tomorrow but the download may be useful to members who already have the device. Best wishes. (Extract below) :

iRex DR1000 Release Notes - Software Version 1.01 - 20 October 2008
Posted By: Thom On: 20 Oct 2008 13:11

Details
DR1000 Software Release
2008 October 20

iRex DR1000 Release Notes
Software Version 1.01
20 October 2008

What’s new in software release 1.01
This software release 1.01 is part of an ongoing process to improve the performance of the iRex Digital Reader 1000 series.
This release will solve a number of issues that were discovered in the v1.0 software.

• Mobipocket Dictionary Lookup now working as intended.
Dictionaries will be detected in the ‘System/Dictionaries’ folder and for compatibility with Mobipocket Desktop Reader, in the ‘eBooks’ folder if it exists.
• Last read page and zoom factor now saved correctly.
• Improved boot time by storing font-cache on internal Flash memory.
• Issue solved that a crash during boot may cause the reader not to complete booting

Download and installation instructions for software release 1.01 on the page
Krishirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
Krishirex
Krishirex began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR1000S
Sorry, Apparently old hat ! My apologies, I thought something new came up.
Krishirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Device: iPad 2, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishirex View Post
Sorry, Apparently old hat ! My apologies, I thought something new came up.
Hey, this is the first time I've heard about it, and I've been looking for it! Thanks. Was just released today.
dhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
bug99
bug99 began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
HELP!!!

I just upgraded to the new firmware (1.01). It booted fine and I was reading a paper on it. I then turned it off, I got the usual 'now turning off' screen. but now, I can't turn it on again!

I wish this thing had a physical 'on/off' button!

does anyone have any ideas? I've tried rebooting my computer, but when I connect the USB cable to both the device and the computer, it does not turn on the DR1000 as usual.
bug99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #5
dhill
Connoisseur
dhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to beholddhill is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug99 View Post
HELP!!!

I just upgraded to the new firmware (1.01). It booted fine and I was reading a paper on it. I then turned it off, I got the usual 'now turning off' screen. but now, I can't turn it on again!

I wish this thing had a physical 'on/off' button!

does anyone have any ideas? I've tried rebooting my computer, but when I connect the USB cable to both the device and the computer, it does not turn on the DR1000 as usual.
Try pressing the reset button. The DR seems to go dead alot
Advert
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
bug99
bug99 began at the beginning.

ahh...you're a genius! I am not

I did try to hold it down before posting last time, but I suppose that I hadn't kept it down for long enough.

thanks!
bug99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #7
dhill
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishirex View Post
Mobipocket Dictionary Lookup now working as intended.
Dictionaries will be detected in the ‘System/Dictionaries’ folder and for compatibility with Mobipocket Desktop Reader, in the ‘eBooks’ folder if it exists.
Maybe it's just me, but the dictionary still does not work. I even copied my mobi books to an eBooks folder per the instructions below. Still no go. What am I doing wrong?

Okay, it does work, user error. It could not find the word that I was looking up, so it says 0 words found in 0 dictionaries.

Now, when you lookup a word from a book, enter the dictionary, and return to the word list, the Cancel and Continue Reading button takes you back to the dictionary and not the book. You have to close the dictionary from the menu in order to get back to your book. Menu/Task Manager/(book name) takes you back to the dictionary and not your book. You have to do Menu/Close Document to get back to your book. Not sure if this is how it was designed or whether the Cancel and Continue Reading button should take you back to your book.

I'll post this on the iRex site.

Last edited by dhill; 10-20-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
dlb
dlb began at the beginning.

Happy Camper!

Well, I'm one of the few if only happy camper. They finally fixed the problem where opening a document doesn't not take you back to the page you last read.

The battery issue is not a major problem for me because i don't read my DR1000S for 3 to 5 hours straight. Haven't tried the dictionary, but that is not an issue either because i would not use that anyway.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:38 PM   #9
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhill View Post
Now, when you lookup a word from a book, enter the dictionary, and return to the word list, the Cancel and Continue Reading button takes you back to the dictionary and not the book. You have to close the dictionary from the menu in order to get back to your book. Menu/Task Manager/(book name) takes you back to the dictionary and not your book. You have to do Menu/Close Document to get back to your book. Not sure if this is how it was designed or whether the Cancel and Continue Reading button should take you back to your book.
In the menu click on "Jump to Previous", this works for multiple steps (see below) Better still a key shortcut that I just learned about myself (from the iRex thread): hold down one "enter" then tap the other one too.

I'm trying it using the free 1913 Webster dictionary. Additionally, you can use Find in the dictionary, which is different from the Find in regular documents. (ex.: looked up "harpies": plural for harpy (Duh!) -> find: Harpy -> ah, that's better -> tap keys: back to book)
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 06:05 PM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
The Dictionary support works sort of. I thought it was supposed to work on pdfs but it doesn't on mine.
On ebooks though it does work sort of. However It seems to stick in the dictionary and in my case it does take a lot of effort to get back to your book. The return didn't always work, it just kept on going back to the dictionary. as Dhll says you have to close the dictionary to get back to the book. Even then the stylus indicator said it was in word look up mode. May be me just getting used to it though.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #11
allovertheglobe
Grumpy Old Man
allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.allovertheglobe can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo, Nook Classic,Color,ST/Glow, iRex DR1000, Sony 505, REB1100&1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
The Dictionary support works sort of. I thought it was supposed to work on pdfs but it doesn't on mine.
I had mixed success: it does work on some PDFs, but for a couple it seemed not to "capture the word" and the dictionary lookup (for nothing) came obviously up empty.
So far I have been able to get back to the original doc (regardless of format) every time.
allovertheglobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:39 AM   #12
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, when it does work it works quite well, however I think it would be useful to have an easier "return to where you were". I have found the appropriate icon in the menu now, but I do keep forgetting.

iRex do seem to like menus in this device, why can't they use the status and menu bar along the bottom more effectively?
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 11:16 AM   #13
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
I had mixed success: it does work on some PDFs, but for a couple it seemed not to "capture the word" and the dictionary lookup (for nothing) came obviously up empty.
So far I have been able to get back to the original doc (regardless of format) every time.
I'm not sure, but aren't there basically two ways a PDF can be encoded. It's either stored as individual characters/text, or else each page is simply stored as an image. I would guess that dictionary support works on the former, but not the later. If the pages are just a series of images the DR won't be able to recognize individual words.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote