Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
zobop
zobop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
File Conversion Output Layout

Hello,

When I convert .epub files to .mobi files, is there any way to just have all the files from my batch conversion placed in one folder?

It is a real chore to have every single file placed in a separate folder. Then I have to go in and extract the .mobi file from each folder manually to place them where I want them.

If I do a batch conversion of 100 .epub files, I want all 100 .mobi files to be in one folder, not in 100 folders.

Thanks
zobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobop View Post
Hello,

When I convert .epub files to .mobi files, is there any way to just have all the files from my batch conversion placed in one folder?

It is a real chore to have every single file placed in a separate folder. Then I have to go in and extract the .mobi file from each folder manually to place them where I want them.

If I do a batch conversion of 100 .epub files, I want all 100 .mobi files to be in one folder, not in 100 folders.

Thanks
You do know that Calibre is a LIBRARY MANAGER, not just a fiormat converter?

Calibre is quite capable of exporting books when and where you NEED them.
There is no need for you to even know where calibre keeps them (see the stickies at the top of this section), only Where you want to send them (and maybe what format is needed, if not connected to a device).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks
Have you thought of just using the command line to do the conversions?

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-convert.html
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
zobop
zobop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I purchased a program by Dongsoft called epubtokindle convertor. I thought that would work nicely, but the quality of the .mobi files after the conversion is horrible.

I also purchased their pdftokindle program. That is even worse.

I like the quality of the conversions from Calibre. But I really do not need my books catalogued and sorted in all those folders and sub folders and sub sub folders. They get buried too deep. I am getting ready to purchase a couple kindles and will have all my book files loaded on flash drives and dvd's. But I want them sorted in my simple tree structure that does not use sub folders for each book. I will just create one folder for each author. If I have 50 books from the same author, I do not want a separate folder for each book. I want all 50 books from that same author in one folder named for that author. I know some people think the other way is more organized, and technically you are correct. But I do not like the books scattered and buried so deep.

Another great reason to have all files available is that it is easier to create book lists. I like to use folderview for this. It will create and print a list of all files in any folder. You can leave out the extensions and details of the files and only show the name.

I am not proficient at command line work like some of you.

Thanks
zobop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I like the quality of the conversions from Calibre. But I really do not need my books catalogued and sorted in all those folders and sub folders and sub sub folders. They get buried too deep.
I used to have my books organized the way you mention. I still used Calibre for conversion (along with KindleGen sometimes), but instead of leaving the books in Calibre I used the Save To Disk function after conversion and deleted the books from Calibre. That worked fairly well.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
I like the quality of the conversions from Calibre. But I really do not need my books catalogued and sorted in all those folders and sub folders and sub sub folders. They get buried too deep.
The mistake you are making is to even look inside the calibre directory structure. Just ignore HOW files are saved in it, and what they are called, and utilize the power of calibre to send material to your eReaders.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote