Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #46
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
as i said before, the update that may block google installs is this one:
The latest generation of the Amazon Fire HD 8 tablet was announced today with minor updates. The tablet is shipping with Fire OS 6, which is based on Android Nougat,...

i.e. Fire OS version 6.2.1.x.
it is already on the latest Fire tvs.

& it will be pushed to 2017 tablets, but we don't know when. Until then, you are safe, and maybe if you get google installed and working before that comes along, you will stay safe. [ that's the scenario I am hoping for ]
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's working. I used the downloads in post #38 on page four:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ama...t3850363/page4

And that's all it took. No special hoops to jump through. Ignore the warning notice about updating Play Services and you're in.

ETA: Turn off automatic updates or it updates the Amazon Alexa app and it doesn't work.

Last edited by issybird; 11-30-2018 at 11:43 AM.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #48
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Several posters, myself included, have confirmed that adding Google play to the 2017 fire tablets is easy and works well. And same goes for older, but not too old tablets. They have to be running fire os 5.

The OP has a 2018 model though, and has not succeeded. We did find one claim on xda that is was do-able still, but one one here has been able to confirm that.

We don't know if fire os 6 ,when it gets pushed out more widely, will block new Google installs and maybe disable existing ones.

Google accounts will not install to fire TV running fire 6, but that may be due to other blocks.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:47 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Several posters, myself included, have confirmed that adding Google play to the 2017 fire tablets is easy and works well. And same goes for older, but not too old tablets. They have to be running fire os 5.

The OP has a 2018 model though, and has not succeeded. We did find one claim on xda that is was do-able still, but one one here has been able to confirm that.
I just confirmed it. Don't I count?
Old 11-30-2018, 03:20 PM   #50
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I just confirmed it. Don't I count?
Sure, if you have the same 8th gen 2018 model as the OP, which was not explicitly stated.

Your reward is you get to debug what went wrong when the OP tried it .

I did say , in early posts, that the 2017 process should work, but then we had the OP saying oh no it didn't....and that he needed to hear how to do it from someone with the exact same model.

I did not qualify for that, So Over to you
Old 11-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #51
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Sure, if you have the same 8th gen 2018 model as the OP, which was not explicitly stated.

Your reward is you get to debug what went wrong when the OP tried it .

I did say , in early posts, that the 2017 process should work, but then we had the OP saying oh no it didn't....and that he needed to hear how to do it from someone with the exact same model.

I did not qualify for that, So Over to you
The title of the thread is Google Play on 8th Generation 8" Tablet, so the natural assumption is that's the device. And then I post that I've succeeded, and I link to the page and cite the specific post dated last night where I found the correct apks. Did you even read my post or look at the link before assuming I was mistaken?
Old 12-01-2018, 12:52 AM   #52
stumped
Wizard

ok - the thread had wandered far and wide, and I am pretty sure that somewhere in the maze the OP had said tried that - did not work, so I was just asking you to confirm that you & he were working with same device, same Fire OS version ...
as for the link. yes I checked. FWIW it was me who , via google, tracked down & provided that link to XDA for the OP in the 1st place.

dunno why I bothered/ why I still bother , all it gets me is blowback.... and AFAIK the OP has given up.

Still, good to know it can be done

Last edited by stumped; 12-01-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #53
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I'll jump back in - just once - to say that I did see the link by Issybird, did try again to install the older 7.x, etc. files in that link with the same unworking results. All files load, Google Play app shows up but refuses to let me sign in with correct password, username, etc. Device is working fine. CC works. Using the Kindle app to read. I miss the Chrome browser but alll-in-all no other problems.
If I ever do get Play installed and working I'll post it here.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:21 PM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I'll jump back in - just once - to say that I did see the link by Issybird, did try again to install the older 7.x, etc. files in that link with the same unworking results. All files load, Google Play app shows up but refuses to let me sign in with correct password, username, etc. Device is working fine. CC works. Using the Kindle app to read. I miss the Chrome browser but alll-in-all no other problems.
If I ever do get Play installed and working I'll post it here.
Is it worth doing a factory reset and trying again from scratch? I also did it mostly for Chrome; I also grabbed Gmail, Firefox and a few other apps just in case it stopped working for me (it's still good) but I tend to agree with you; there are few must-have apps. Out of the box would have been good enough for me if that's how it turned out. I'm not that fussy and I couldn't beat the Black Friday price plus trade-in discount.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:48 AM   #55
stumped
Wizard

factory reset and start over is probably the only option now, and you may conclude it is just not worth it
this is because a previously failed attempt at getting all the google programs to work can leave traces behind after you uninstall the apps. they have no effect on normal amazon app operations but can get in the way of re-doing the google stuff
and also, google often does not allow an older version to be installed after a newer one. so if you shoudl have installed v5 of google account manager, but you mistakenly installed v6, you may not be able to successfully install v5.
account manager has to be fully working before the other stuff will work, and some threads say you must use a particular v5 and not anything later. I have not cross checked that statement with what worked for issybird though.
when I have done this process ( & I have done 3 fire devices) I always did account manager first, and then rebooted, before continuing with the other 3 apps.

PS there is a separate issue with chrome. I don't think it affects the 2017 devices, but on my older HDX, it has a text corruption issue ( well known and dell documented) where some text in boxes goes screwy. apparently , this started in v69 and one fix is to sideload v68 and block updates. I just switched to firefox instead on that tablet. the same bug affects brave browser as that is chrome-based
chrome bug is documented here and elsewhere; it affects older fire and older android tablets only. my newest Lenovo tablet is fine

https://productforums.google.com/for...me/Yb021aoNADs

I mention it here because anyone adding google stuff to a fire HDX to enjoy chrome may regret it !
PS the bug can also be bypassed by selecting desktop site in chrome settings for any affected page, but that option does not stick and has to be re-selected each time
Old 12-14-2018, 01:37 PM   #56
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:

We don't know if fire os 6 ,when it gets pushed out more widely, will block new Google installs and maybe disable existing ones.

Google accounts will not install to fire TV running fire 6, but that may be due to other blocks.

I just got my FireHD 8, 8th gen yesterday. Running Fire OS 6.3.0.1.

Followed the directions at xda-developers and all is good. Login to google fine, all apps I wanted to install work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:52 AM   #57
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
I just got my FireHD 8, 8th gen yesterday. Running Fire OS 6.3.0.1.

Followed the directions at xda-developers and all is good. Login to google fine, all apps I wanted to install work fine.

Good to hear - questions:
Device was registered with Amazon before you installed Google Play- correct?

Did you install an SD card before installing Google Play? If so did you install it as a permanent or temporary card?

Thanks.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #58
Lparsons21
Zealot
Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lparsons21 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Good to hear - questions:

Device was registered with Amazon before you installed Google Play- correct?

Did you install an SD card before installing Google Play? If so did you install it as a permanent or temporary card?

Thanks.

Yes it registered with Amazon during the initial startup. I don’t use or need an SD card since almost all the reading/listening is via subscription.

Lparsons21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 12:13 PM   #59
stumped
Wizard

A SD card shouldn't make a difference, but safest sequence if starting over would be remove any cards and factory reset, then register with Amazon.
Check for updates until it says up to date Then carefully do the Google thing. Reboot after adding the 1sf one, the account manager.. take extreme care to use only the versions that worked for others with same hardware
Once Google is done ,add an additional sd card if you wish. It is better to add those as external storage because that is removable and card can be read or written to from other devices.
Amazon used to not play nice wih Samsung cards, dunno if that got fixed. I returned mine. Reviews suggest sandisc as being most compatible
Old 12-16-2018, 08:59 AM   #60
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Yes it registered with Amazon during the initial startup. I don’t use or need an SD card since almost all the reading/listening is via subscription.

Thanks, all, for info. May try it again.
Yes, I found the best way to use the SD card is as external storage.

Last edited by The Old Man; 12-16-2018 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Added info