Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 12:31 AM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have uploaded a new beta that does that. Please test by first deleting the My Files folder to ensure that the driver creates it correctly, even when it is missing.

https://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:59 AM   #17
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have uploaded a new beta that does that. Please test by first deleting the My Files folder to ensure that the driver creates it correctly, even when it is missing.

Thanks! I won't be able to get to this until later today, but I will test it out then.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #18
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Guys,

I'm no expert, but thought I should share my experience with the Glowlight 3.

I have copied epub files in folders with various names. Moved those folders into the NOOK folder. The device finds them without any problem. It seems like a "My Files" folder is not mandatory.

Also note that the user guide states that you can use your own images as screensavers, but I have an email from B&N customer service that tells me the Glowlight 3 cannot do that.

Bottom line: the user guide is factually incorrect in at least two instances. I hope they will revise it and upload an accurate version.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Guys,

I'm no expert, but thought I should share my experience with the Glowlight 3.

I have copied epub files in folders with various names. Moved those folders into the NOOK folder. The device finds them without any problem. It seems like a "My Files" folder is not mandatory.

Also note that the user guide states that you can use your own images as screensavers, but I have an email from B&N customer service that tells me the Glowlight 3 cannot do that.

Bottom line: the user guide is factually incorrect in at least two instances. I hope they will revise it and upload an accurate version.
The only reason this "My Files" thing came up is that someone asked if the books that Calibre sideloads could appear in the "My Files" section of the Nook library, and not mixed in under "Books" with all the Nook-downloaded books.

I'm perfectly fine with the setup as it was, but we're only doing it for this other person's sake!
Old 12-05-2017, 11:53 AM   #20
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
The only reason this "My Files" thing came up is that someone asked if the books that Calibre sideloads could appear in the "My Files" section of the Nook library, and not mixed in under "Books" with all the Nook-downloaded books.

I'm perfectly fine with the setup as it was, but we're only doing it for this other person's sake!
Right, but the user guide does say to use the "My Files" folder, even though it clearly isn't necessary.

I'm afraid B&N may have copy-pasted sections of the old Glowlight Plus user guide into this new product.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Hi, Kovid:

This beta created the folder, and the books show up in "My Files" in the Nook "My Library". Mission accomplished! I hope our poster will thank you for this extra effort!
Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 PM   #22
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Right, but the user guide does say to use the "My Files" folder, even though it clearly isn't necessary.

I'm afraid B&N may have copy-pasted sections of the old Glowlight Plus user guide into this new product.
Oh, I know it isn't necessary. I was fine with the setup as it was. But someone else may be happy with it. Kovid was very gracious to accommodate this.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:59 PM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have committed the change. IMO it is important that calibre should work the same on all Nook models, as far as possible. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...6c1e6f5103bbcd
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:53 AM   #24
Isurvey
Isurvey began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thank you!! Works! Thanks Downeaster59 for being able to confirm the issue and solution.
I agree that it is not necessary but it does make the Nook experience much nicer and in line with previous Nook implementations.
Calibre is a wonderful program and I thank Kovid for all his hard work!!

Have a Wonderful Safe and Happy Holiday Season!
I can't support with coding or software, but just made a donation to help the only way I can.
Thank You!

Last edited by Isurvey; 12-08-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Isurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 11:40 AM   #25
donsimpson17
Donald E Simpson, PhD
donsimpson17 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight 3
I have a (now) old nook simpletouch with a library of 600+ epubs (many are public domain from Project Gutenburg, some are my own manuscripts converted to epub using Calibre -- thanks, Kovid!). I bought the new nook Glowlight 3 and tried sideloading the entire library of 600+ titles using Calibre and also just by Windows drag and drop -- I tried various folder naming schemes etc. Anyway, the device did not recognize the added files, no matter which approach I tried. I got a replacement device at BN; same thing on the new one.

I finally figured out that you can only sideload a few epubs at a time -- I've tried as many as 30 so far -- and it still takes a few seconds for the device to update the library and recognize the epubs so that I can begin reading. But at least it works.

Adding a library of 600+ epubs all at once just seems to overload the Glowlight 3 -- I don't know if the Library will eventually update or how long it might take (hours? days?), but for the time being, I'm just adding a few epubs at a time using Calibre (I am also taking the opportunity to weed out duplicates etc.!) and it seems to be working. This is a minor inconvenience (and it drove me nuts until I figured it out); I should think BN should be aware of this drawback, and realize that many users are likely to already have large libraries of epubs they'll want to add.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the device, and Calibre! Best wishes.
donsimpson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #26
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsimpson17 View Post
I have a (now) old nook simpletouch with a library of 600+ epubs (many are public domain from Project Gutenburg, some are my own manuscripts converted to epub using Calibre -- thanks, Kovid!). I bought the new nook Glowlight 3 and tried sideloading the entire library of 600+ titles using Calibre and also just by Windows drag and drop -- I tried various folder naming schemes etc. Anyway, the device did not recognize the added files, no matter which approach I tried. I got a replacement device at BN; same thing on the new one.

I finally figured out that you can only sideload a few epubs at a time -- I've tried as many as 30 so far -- and it still takes a few seconds for the device to update the library and recognize the epubs so that I can begin reading. But at least it works.

Adding a library of 600+ epubs all at once just seems to overload the Glowlight 3 -- I don't know if the Library will eventually update or how long it might take (hours? days?), but for the time being, I'm just adding a few epubs at a time using Calibre (I am also taking the opportunity to weed out duplicates etc.!) and it seems to be working. This is a minor inconvenience (and it drove me nuts until I figured it out); I should think BN should be aware of this drawback, and realize that many users are likely to already have large libraries of epubs they'll want to add.

Otherwise I'm really enjoying the device, and Calibre! Best wishes.
Before sideloading ebooks put your nook into sleep mode. I have found that my STR works best at sideloading when in sleep mode--loaded 1300 ebooks at one time with in in sleep mode with no problems.

Just as a general observation I have found with all of my android devices usb operations seem to do best with the device in sleep mode.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:06 PM   #27
donsimpson17
Donald E Simpson, PhD

I'm not sure if the Glowlight 3 is technically considered an Android; in any case, I can only report my own experience, as follows:

My Glowlight 3 does not appear on my Windows desktop in sleep mode; consequently I cannot transfer files to test.

My Glowlight 3 needs to be awake, and I need to "turn on" USB mode before it will appear on my Windows desktop.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced problems bulk sideloading epubs, and what is the cut-off number, if any.

Thanks,
Don
Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 PM   #28
donsimpson17
Donald E Simpson, PhD

BTW I should add I also own a nook Tablet 7", which does run Android.

For what I want from an ereader, I found it too fragile and too distracting (connected to distractions); I just want a simple, portable ereader.

I expect to still get a lot of use out of my Simpletouch (non-backlit) nook; it's sturdy and dependable, if somewhat heavier than the new Glowlight 3.

I wanted the Glowlight 3 for reading in bed with the lights off, but I find it very pleasant to read in room light and daylight too. I expect it will be my new workhorse ereader.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #29
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsimpson17 View Post
I'm not sure if the Glowlight 3 is technically considered an Android; in any case, I can only report my own experience, as follows:

My Glowlight 3 does not appear on my Windows desktop in sleep mode; consequently I cannot transfer files to test.

My Glowlight 3 needs to be awake, and I need to "turn on" USB mode before it will appear on my Windows desktop.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced problems bulk sideloading epubs, and what is the cut-off number, if any.

Thanks,
Don
The Glowlight 3 runs on Android 4.4.2, so yes, it is an Android device. (I've installed Instapaper on it, and a few other apps.) I haven't tried adding 600 ePubs at once, but even with 100, I found that I needed to restart my Nook for it to find the new ePubs - and even at that, it took a little time. Perhaps the Glowlight 3 also indexes the new ePubs? If so, that would add to the time. Once the ePubs are finally visible in the Nook Library, the Nook reader works well.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:20 AM   #30
donsimpson17
Donald E Simpson, PhD

Agreed; about 100 at a time did the trick. I didn't restart; I just ejected and waited a few seconds after each upload. The library eventually updates with all the added books; but in the meantime, it reverts to showing just BN books, which is what threw me off.

Sorry I went to the trouble of exchanging devices, but BN should let users know that large sideloads take some time to show up in the library.

Anyway, got 'em all on there and really enjoying the device now!