Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Sigil 0.3.3

The new release is here. More details in this Sigil dev blog post.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Very nice, I like the ePub validation in Sigil.

An aside, I did install the new version before I uninstalled the old, as I did the install while I was reading the changes. Anyway I had no problems doing that maybe because for some reason the old Sigil was installed in "Program Files (x86)" folder when I was sure I installed the 64 bit version before. Don't know but everything is working nicely.

Thank you.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
The new release is here. More details in this Sigil dev blog post.
Nice

I assumed that I also should have un-installed Flightcrew, and did.

Can we still call Flightcrew externally (from Calibre: Open With)? Is there a special syntax needed?
Note my test of the green check indicate 3 errors. One was fixed simply by pressing F8 and saving
The other opened the fil (error 2 places), I fixed and saved.

Questions
If I fix and Don't save first, will the Green tick a)run on the in memory version. b)Remind/force a save first?
Can FC clear previous error lines when Starting another validation pass?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
I'm downloading the new version now. WOW google code is slooooow, 9.9MB should be downloaded within 30 seconds or less, it tells me download will take 41 minutes, hehe. Yeah I have broadband.

theducks: yeah when I read the questions I also started to wonder.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I assumed that I also should have un-installed Flightcrew, and did.

Can we still call Flightcrew externally (from Calibre: Open With)? Is there a special syntax needed?
No, you misunderstood how FlightCrew is integrated.

The FlightCrew project is actually three separate things: "FlightCrew" is the epub-checking C++ library that can be integrated into other applications (as a block of code). "FlightCrew-GUI" is one such application; a GUI executable that presents a nice interface to the internal library. "FlightCrew-CLI" is the same thing, only the interface is command-line.

Basically, the FlightCrew library is "plugged into" Sigil. It's inside the Sigil EXE.

You can have FlightCrew-GUI and -CLI installed separately. They also have the FC library "plugged in".

Quote:
Questions
If I fix and Don't save first, will the Green tick a)run on the in memory version. b)Remind/force a save first?
It always runs on the "in memory" one. That is, it never uses the epub file that you have saved somewhere yourself.

Quote:
Can FC clear previous error lines when Starting another validation pass?
It always does this. Running a validation pass erases the old error messages.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #6
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN View Post
I'm downloading the new version now. WOW google code is slooooow, 9.9MB should be downloaded within 30 seconds or less, it tells me download will take 41 minutes, hehe. Yeah I have broadband.
Yes, they seem to be having some issues currently. Downloads are slow for me too.

I'm sure they'll fix it soon though.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post

It always runs on the "in memory" one. That is, it never uses the epub file that you have saved somewhere yourself.

It always does this. Running a validation pass erases the old error messages.
Thanks for the Answers.
I will reinstall FC (for the GUI)

The XP version does not clear the previous error messages UNTIL the end of the run, where it puts up the new messages or PASS (same with the old GUI)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:16 PM   #8
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
I noticed that I still have to make a choice Do not install at the open candy. Did you not used the opt-in for the Iniblue RegistryBooster? I also started wondering after reading the FAQ on that site, that Open Candy makes registry entries regardless if you install the software or not. I directly went and removed them from the registry with regedit.

Thanks for the new version although I sort of whish there was a plain zip distribution or if the installer would remove the open candy registry entry.

Cheers
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:40 PM   #9
Valloric

Quote:
I noticed that I still have to make a choice Do not install at the open candy.
There are two options presented: install or don't install. Neither is selected by default. Just select "don't install".

Quote:
I also started wondering after reading the FAQ on that site, that Open Candy makes registry entries regardless if you install the software or not. I directly went and removed them from the registry with regedit.
Feel free to remove it (in fact OpenCandy list a procedure explaining how to do this), but all it really does is write down what offer it showed to you if you rejected it. It does this so that next time, it doesn't have to waste your time by showing you something you already rejected.

Also, it writes down something along the lines of "Sigil presented offer X".

I don't see the problem here.

Quote:
Thanks for the new version although I sort of whish there was a plain zip distribution or if the installer would remove the open candy registry entry.
You are free to build Sigil from source.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Valloric: Don't be so sure about google's servers recovering anytime soon. See http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=4843
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #11
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@Valloric: Don't be so sure about google's servers recovering anytime soon. See http://code.google.com/p/support/issues/detail?id=4843
Oh freaking hell. One would expect Google would know their way around server issues, wouldn't one?

But I'm pretty sure all we can do is just wait it out.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:

theducks: yeah when I read the questions I also started to wonder.
I've just downloaded the new version onto my netbook and it was quick- perhaps issues have been fixed? I usually get fast download speeds as I have cable internet, but the wi-fi connection to the netbook probably reduces that to just fast broadband. The download only took about 3-4 seconds.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'd suggest those of you experiencing slow downloads star the issue I linked to above, so google knows it is affecting lots of people.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #14
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
For what it's worth, Zone Alarm is finding this file malicious:

"This file silently extracts executable files from itself and runs them, spreading additional malicious software onto your PC."

I suspect it's the new software added to make a little money that's doing it, but I wanted to share it in case there's a way to report this as a false positive on ZoneAlarm's site somehow.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
MAJOR ANNOYANCE

with v0.32 I could set it to be the default program for .epub format.

with 0.33 - win 64 setup exe version - , in windows7 64 bit, it will not appear in the choose default program options. I can browse to it, but it does not then add to the window thus I cannot see any way to make it the default.. is this likely to be fixed soon, or should I roll back to 0.32 ?

Last edited by cybmole; 01-11-2011 at 09:39 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote