Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-28-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Looking for new E ink device with very white background, dark letters

I've been reading on tablets, but need something for reading outside. My problem is that the tablets, with their very white backgrounds and dark letters, are my preferred visual style. I have a Kobo Glo - really old - but the background is so grey that I just can't read on it.

The PW has the background I prefer - but I do not want another Amazon ereader (long story, probably whined enough on here about them lol).

I'd prefer 7-8"; while money is an object, not a big one if I can find something a really like.

Prefer epub, but could convert if needed.

So, very white background, dark font or heavy font.

Thanks for any help.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
If you already own a Kobo and the only thing you don't like is the grey background of what is an old model, then either the Kobo H2O or the Aura One is the easy answer, especially if you are looking at a 7"+ device. The background shouldn't ever look grey, that's what the light is for!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
If you already own a Kobo and the only thing you don't like is the grey background of what is an old model, then either the Kobo H2O or the Aura One is the easy answer, especially if you are looking at a 7"+ device. The background shouldn't ever look grey, that's what the light is for!
Thanks, I've been looking at the reviews. Especially, https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/kobo-aura-one/review/, shows the Aura One and the PW - the Aura background really looks a lot darker than the Kindle. Is it just the way the picture was taken, or is its really darker/greyer?
Old 03-28-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Thanks, I've been looking at the reviews. Especially, https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/kobo-aura-one/review/, shows the Aura One and the PW - the Aura background really looks a lot darker than the Kindle. Is it just the way the picture was taken, or is its really darker/greyer?
That's the comfort light being on. The Kobo Aura One has colored LEDs that allow you to adjust the light so it's not so blueish. If the comfort light was off, the Kobo Aura One would have been at least as white looking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:52 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks, JSWolf, I would have discarded it without your knowledge - will take another look. Are all the Auras comparable as far as the screen lighting is concerned?
Advert
Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
In the Kobo forum there is a thread complaining of there not being enough contrast between the screen and the font on an Aura ONE, so be warned. (Edit: The thread is about the Aura HD, not the Aura ONE.)

If you can find one, try a Glo HD. Another option is the Nook Glowlight Plus. Both are 6" devices that handle ePub. Both have 300ppi Carta screens. Neither has expandable storage. The Kobo has a better UI and is more hackable. The Nook is waterproof.

There's also the Aura H20. Screen is 6.8", has expandable storage and is waterproof. That may be your best bet.

Question: Did you try turning on the light, even in a bright room? The light can add more contrast to the screen.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 03-28-2017 at 05:03 PM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:55 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thanks, JSWolf, I would have discarded it without your knowledge - will take another look. Are all the Auras comparable as far as the screen lighting is concerned?
I would expect so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I think the whiteness of the screen is probably quite similar between the PW and either of the Kobo's. But be aware that means with the light set to low or off, it might look a little grey compared to your tablet, if you are outside in bright sun, you should be turning the light up on a lighted reader to give you the white screen.

In that cnet review, you don't know the light settings in those pictures, they probably have the light set higher on the PW as well as the comfort light setting making the screen look darker on the Aura One.

I think there is some issue with the comfort light making it more difficult to get the lighting just right, and for that reason I'd personally just go for the Aura H2O over the Aura One. But I'd also shy away from the One being 7.8" compared to the H2O's 6.8" screen. I'm pretty sure either would be fine for you in terms of the screen being whiter than your old Kobo Glo.

Edit: to cut a long story short, I agree with ZodWallop ;-)
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That thread is about the Aura HD.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks everyone. I'm off to compare, but think I like the size of the Aura H20 better than the One.

Edit: As I compared them (over the internet), I think that I actually prefer the size of the One - more room for reading, as I'm a very fast reader. Unfortunately, it seems that they are hard to come by - except for ebay and Canada. I'm in the US. Anyone know of a US store that might have the One?

Last edited by peaceridge; 03-28-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
I have a Kobo Glo - really old - but the background is so grey that I just can't read on it.
I think your Kobo Glo must be defective in some way then. I used to have one and I now have a Kindle Voyage and a Paperwhite as well as a Kobo Aura and the contrast on the Kobo Glo was better than on the Aura and every bit as good as on the Kindle.

I read on my Kindles and Kobos just fine. The Aura has one of the worse front lit screens ever made and it's still excellent. The difference in that and the Kobo Glo's contrast is small, but it as there.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:43 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I'm off to compare, but think I like the size of the Aura H20 better than the One.

Edit: As I compared them (over the internet), I think that I actually prefer the size of the One - more room for reading, as I'm a very fast reader. Unfortunately, it seems that they are hard to come by - except for ebay and Canada. I'm in the US. Anyone know of a US store that might have the One?
I'm in California. My Kobo Aura One was a Christmas present from my husband. He ordered it from Indigo in Canada. There are also a lot of other people who post here who live in the U.S. and ordered from Chapters Indigo.

I wouldn't worry about ordering from Canada--it may take a day or two longer to arrive. On the plus side though, you'll benefit from the exchange rate. Even with shipping charges (no free shipping on international orders), my Aura One ended up being less expensive than it would have been to order from Kobo.com.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:44 AM   #13
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
I really recommend the H2O. I remember when I bought it, I had considered the Aura at first because of price. But the pages just looked so grey compared to how whiter the H2O was. I'm sure the Aura One is the same or even better. I love the screen of the H2O, so I think Aura One is just as good
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:57 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want maximum contrast, you should be looking at devices with eInk "Carta" screens. The Carta screen has (according to the manufacturer's data sheet) 25% better contrast than the older "Pearl" screens.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:23 AM   #15
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:

amazon US have kobo readers
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote