Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #1
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
Time zone - can this be changed?

My International Kindle lives in Luxembourg (CET timezone) but always shows GMT (UK time). I've searched around quite a bit but I've not found any way to adjust the time zone manually.

My Kindle is obviously getting its time correctly via Whispernet - it adjusted for the end of summer-time correctly two weekend ago - it's only the timezone which is wrong.

Any suggestions?
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
AFAIK, you have two options: either jailbrake and fix it yourself, or tell Amazon that your kindle is broken and ask them to fix it.

You can check to see if the kindle receives the correct time zone like this: turn on wireless, wait a few minutes to make sure it has got a good connection and had time to do whatever it needs, then go to Home -> Menu -> Settings and type 611. look at "Local time offset" close to bottom of that page and see if it is provied. This is not provided here in Sweden and I think Amazon has assumed it should be.
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
How do you set the time yourself? I have a Kindle International, and it too is showing GMT time (as was my previous International - the one I have now is a replacement).
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just out of curiosity, does it affect anything in the performance?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
wayneriette
wayneriette began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
so can we adjust the time or not ???
wayneriette is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Yep, you can change it. The kindle isnt broken at all and you certainly dont need to jailbreak it. Go into menu and settings. Type 311 (NOT 611) This will locate all the telcos in your area providing a wireless service - I had about 10 to choose from. You might need to try out a couple, but one of them will reset your clock to local time. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and fixed it - although the clock had originally been correct, for some reason when I turned the wireless on about 6 weeks ago it changed the time. But all good now.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
Ezh
Ezh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 Global
Thank you very much for this thread and for 311 solution. Just changed timezone on my Kindle 2 Global from GMT to correct CET by switching from automatic to O2 network and back.
Ezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #8
Jonas777
Groupie
Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jonas777 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 Intl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Yep, you can change it. The kindle isnt broken at all and you certainly dont need to jailbreak it. Go into menu and settings. Type 311 (NOT 611) This will locate all the telcos in your area providing a wireless service - I had about 10 to choose from. You might need to try out a couple, but one of them will reset your clock to local time. I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and fixed it - although the clock had originally been correct, for some reason when I turned the wireless on about 6 weeks ago it changed the time. But all good now.
Well, good for you. I have tried all the networks available in my area and none of them fixes the time. Guess I have to travel more...
Jonas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Come to Australia, it will work fine Jonas. Sorry it didnt work for you, it seems to have done the trick for many, including me!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #10
oilcitysis
oilcitysis began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
fix time

Good morning everyone.
I was having trouble with the time zone on my Kindle 2.
I am in Florida and it was 4 hours off. I called amazons help line and they checked my address. It wasn't registered to the kindle. This corrected the problem right away. So instead of getting frustrated and trying other suggested (forum) fixes just call amazon and ask them to check that the address is registered to your kindle. Have a great week.

Hope this was helpful.
oilcitysis is offline   Reply With Quote