Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Guess I've missed any fraud posts.

As for cards expiring, last I checked they don't expire where I am anymore (regular resident cards), at least as long as they are used regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbynormal52 View Post
While I'm here, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows whether or not you can gain a library card in another county of your own State (online) if you live in a place that does have a library, but only one, and VERY limited?

Just wondering if any States allow for that "special" privilege?
Most places I'm aware of it wouldn't be a state thing as libraries I'm familiar with aren't run at a state level, but a county, city, municipality level or a consortium of several of those. I know here there is a statewide coop for members of libraries in most, not all, places in the state can get a card from other libraries in the state, but I have no idea if they work for digital. I know where I am out-of-state cards do not work for digital.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
While I'm here, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows whether or not you can gain a library card in another county of your own State (online) if you live in a place that does have a library, but only one, and VERY limited?

I did write to California Libraries main site asking. But thought I may get an answer here from someone that has been able to do this. I will let you know what I find out in case there are any others maybe seeking the same kind of info
Check your home library's website to see if they participate in reciprocal borrowing. If so, you'll be able to legally get a library card from participating libraries.

I belong to multiple libraries because of that feature. Because I don't travel as much as I used to, I let several of those cards expire because renewal involved a physical appearance at those libraries.

I actively use four libraries.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 12:20 PM   #18
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
In California, many, but not all, public libraries will allow any resident of the state to get a card. You have to apply in person. However, many, again not all, will let you renew by phone. You just have to confirm your contact information.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:22 PM   #19
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Fire Tablet 7"
Thank you both for the non-resident info.
abbynormal52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #20
abbynormal52
Groupie
abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.abbynormal52 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
In California, many, but not all, public libraries will allow any resident of the state to get a card. You have to apply in person. However, many, again not all, will let you renew by phone. You just have to confirm your contact information.
Thanks so much for this info, I very much want everything I do to be 100% legal, follow the rules. But for me I just haven't acquired that perfection.

I think that what I read on the CA.gov/libraries site that there is an option to get a card online, I am not sure though. I'm just waiting to hear back. Since I like my library in my "home" State, I will call them today after they open, and ask if they might have a non-resident card I can purchase.

I didn't say I couldn't afford to buy "any" books because once every couple of months I can.

Thanks again
Advert
Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #21
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I did write to California Libraries main site asking. But thought I may get an answer here from someone that has been able to do this. I will let you know what I find out in case there are any others maybe seeking the same kind of info
Doing a quick search, I'm going to say yes.

https://www.sjpl.org/librarycard

For my state, CT, some of the libraries (including my local library) are part of a consortium; you can use your local library card in other libraries, and there is a state wide/consortium library for ebooks and audiobooks.

I'd suggest asking your local library.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #22
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Check your home library's website to see if they participate in reciprocal borrowing. If so, you'll be able to legally get a library card from participating libraries.

I belong to multiple libraries because of that feature. Because I don't travel as much as I used to, I let several of those cards expire because renewal involved a physical appearance at those libraries.

I actively use four libraries.
I'm checking all that out today If there's a payed-membership I'm more than willing to pay that for being a non-resident. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find

Thanks much
Old 01-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Doing a quick search, I'm going to say yes.

https://www.sjpl.org/librarycard

For my state, CT, some of the libraries (including my local library) are part of a consortium; you can use your local library card in other libraries, and there is a state wide/consortium library for ebooks and audiobooks.

I'd suggest asking your local library.
This is what my card is for, a consortium of libraries in my Home County. I worked there and payed taxes for 50 years, but that probably still doesn't make me a taxpayer now.

I signed up for a card first thing when I moved here, but just the one, small library. I'm retired and only pay a sales-tax so I probably don't qualify, or have a right to this library either, not legally.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #24
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Guess I've missed any fraud posts.

As for cards expiring, last I checked they don't expire where I am anymore (regular resident cards), at least as long as they are used regularly.

Most places I'm aware of it wouldn't be a state thing as libraries I'm familiar with aren't run at a state level, but a county, city, municipality level or a consortium of several of those. I know here there is a statewide coop for members of libraries in most, not all, places in the state can get a card from other libraries in the state, but I have no idea if they work for digital. I know where I am out-of-state cards do not work for digital.
The reason I went to the State site was to try and find out from there, "which" counties might sign me up by email, or phone. There are more libraries in this State, so many I was overwhelmed!!
Old 01-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #25
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
I signed up for a card first thing when I moved here, but just the one, small library. I'm retired and only pay a sales-tax so I probably don't qualify, or have a right to this library either, not legally.
I'd be shocked if there were a jurisdiction where residency wasn't the sole qualification for having a library card.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I'm checking all that out today If there's a payed-membership I'm more than willing to pay that for being a non-resident. I'll keep you all posted as to what I find

Thanks much
I forgot to mention this, but reciprocal library cards are free.

Here are some of the libraries that allow out-of-state residents to purchase library cards:

Non-Resident Library Cards --> ebooks -- audiobooks --> updated 03 Jan 2017
  • Hennepin Co (MN) -- $60/year --> 122,020 -- 19,358 --> digital checkouts NOT allowed

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-03-2017 at 01:21 PM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:53 PM   #27
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I live in Spain and I have paid library cards in Brooklyn Public Library (it has been told to me that they don't offer them anymore but I still can renew it) and Free Library of Philadelphia. Orange Count y in Florida offers it too (but more expensive). They need no justification, only identity proof and money.
Thanks, and wonderful to meet someone from Spain!

I had done some research on Overdrive and found out, I think, it's pretty much World-Wide!!
Old 01-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Also there is Kindle Unlimited for $60 for six months. Sometimes they run specials. Plenty of reading material.

I buy a subscription to Brooklyn Library every year. I get Free Library of Philadelphia for free because hubby was a vet. (They no longer offer that option though.)

My local library is very small on digital loans too.

I should mention FLP has Freading and Hoopla as well as Overdrive and a few more digital services.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:30 PM   #29
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I forgot to mention this, but reciprocal library cards are free.

Here are some of the libraries that allow out-of-state residents to purchase library cards:

Non-Resident Library Cards --> ebooks -- audiobooks --> updated 03 Jan 2017
  • Hennepin Co (MN) -- $60/year --> 122,020 -- 19,358 --> digital checkouts NOT allowed
OMGosh, this is wonderful! I'll check them out! I'm seeing this forum is quite active. I didn't realize it until I started looking into "new Posts" and seeing so many up-to-date posts I figured I'd keep trying to connect.

Really appreciate all you other bookworms, yeehaw!! Denise
Old 01-03-2017, 01:34 PM   #30
abbynormal52
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Also there is Kindle Unlimited for $60 for six months. Sometimes they run specials. Plenty of reading material.

I buy a subscription to Brooklyn Library every year. I get Free Library of Philadelphia for free because hubby was a vet. (They no longer offer that option though.)

My local library is very small on digital loans too.

I should mention FLP has Freading and Hoopla as well as Overdrive and a few more digital services.

Sent from my XT1528
Hate it when something is taken away from a Veteran. We have all we have due to our military, who doesn't know that.

Anyway, I am gaining some awesome info here. Also, I did notice that Amazon has a lot of free books offered, usually 1st of series looks like, but Barnes and Noble didn't have that much of a selection I don't think. I know I won't live long enough to read from all the options that are out there for us