Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-04-2016, 02:43 AM   #1
the_doc
Connoisseur
the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Hanlin v3; Kobo Mini
Screen Server Folder?

In one of the last development versions of KOReader appears the option "Screen Server Folder".
I think the name itself is a bug. It should be "Screensaver folder".
When the option appeared I wrote the route to my screensavers folder in PBChess so KOReader could take pics from there as screensaver images, but nothing happened.
Does the feature work?
Did I not write the address correctly? How it must be written?
Could somebody explains how it works and what it does?
Is it possible to add a screensaver to show the cover of the book you are reading or some other image when you turn off KOReader with the new option, without going first to Nickel or KSM?
Thanks.
the_doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Right, that is probably an error in translation form one of the international developers on the project. (In the File Manager Menu) If you tap on that "Screen server folder" menu item, you will get a message box, named "Screen saver folder" and a keyboard, to enter a path to the folder you wish to use. The path probably should start from /mnt . [The current default location is "/mnt/onboard/screensaver/"]

(In the Reader Menu, the one you get when you have a book open) There is a "Screensaver" menu item. Poking that gives you the option to select "Use this book's cover as screensaver", poking that makes it checked or unchecked. There is also an option to, "Display proportional cover image in screensaver".

The image(s) in the "Screensaver Folder" will be used, if the "Use this book's cover as screensaver" is unchecked or a cover image can't be found. If the user has not defined an image or folder to use, a message box with "Suspended..." will be used.

It looks to be from wherever your "vlasovsoft" folder is. ( For me using KSM7.4, it would be "/mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft/sleep/", works on my Kobo AuraHD. )

There is a new feature for powering off, with the Power Switch, that gives you a message box with the option to Power Off, if you hold it for 5 sec. (It uses my KSM power off image.)

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-04-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #3
the_doc
Connoisseur
the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!the_doc , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post

(In the Reader Menu, the one you get when you have a book open) There is a "Screensaver" menu item. Poking that gives you the option to select "Use this book's cover as screensaver", poking that makes it checked or unchecked. There is also an option to, "Display proportional cover image in screensaver".
Nope. It is not there. I think I remember seeing that option, but it is not anymore. It is missing.

Quote:

It looks to be from wherever your "vlasovsoft" folder is. ( For me using KSM7.4, it would be "/mnt/onboard/.adds/vlasovsoft/sleep/", works on my Kobo AuraHD. )
In my case it is "/mnt/onboard/.kobo/vlasovsoft/sleep/"
I use fmon to start KOReader. But it is not working. I guess it uses the 'cover of last book' option when in sleep mode because that was the option I selected in a previous version of KOReader.

Quote:

There is a new feature for powering off, with the Power Switch, that gives you a message box with the option to Power Off, if you hold it for 5 sec. (It uses my KSM power off image.)
Yes, I know, and I use that option to turn off my device when I am using KOReader. In that last comment I was wondering if it was possible to use some image or the cover of the book as screen when turning off the device instead of the "Powered off" message.
And thanks for your reply.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What version of KOReader are you using? The current nightly is here. I don't remember any release where the option was not there.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
the_doc
Connoisseur

That is 2015.11.431. I am using a newer one 2015.11.434, updated from the OTA option. It is the newest one.
Advert
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Shot in the dark: Do you have the "Advanced settings" (or whatever it's actually called) setting ticked? (I *think* it's in the "gear" top menu).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
the_doc
Connoisseur

Of course I have it. But I think now that maybe it is not working. I mean, it shows the same options with "Advanced settings" ticked and unticked.
With an epub open it shows:

- Table of contents, Bookmarks, Go to, Follow links.
- Set render style, Floating punctuation, Change font, Hyphenation, Page overlap, Highlight options.
- Status bar, Night mode, Network, Screen, Language, Show advanced options.
- Book status, History, OTA update, Version, Help.
- Dictionary lookup, Fulltext search, Calibre wireless connection, Evernote, Progress sync, Statistics, ZSync.

And it shows exactly these same items in the menu with the advanced settings option ticked and unticked.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The Screensaver option is right after "Highlight options". With your Mini, it might be that it is on a second page of the menu. (Especially if you have it on landscape mode.)

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #9
the_doc
Connoisseur

Well, it is not. And as I said, I got the same options with advanced settings ticked and unticked.
It is not anything that worries specially. I was just curious. So, I'll wait for the next update and I will make a clean installation deleting before all the files instead of overwriting them. And we will see what happens.
Thanks =)

Last edited by the_doc; 06-05-2016 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #10
the_doc
Connoisseur

I just updated with the last development option available through OTA.
I deleted the koreader directory in my e-reader (I did a back-up first). I downloaded from the computer the version 2015.11-442 from http://koreader-eu.ak-team.com/
I uncompressed it and I installed it in my kobo. Clean installation.
Same problem. The Screensaver option right after "Highlight options" is not available and I get exactly the same menu options with advanced settings ticked and unticked.
So it seems something is wrong with the option "advanced settings".
Anyway, because I have a clean installation with all the default settings I tried to use the new "screen server folder" option. When I put the e-reader to sleep it just shows me the last book cover. It ignores the directory I input in the screen server folder option. I guess showing the cover of the book is the default setting and I cannot change that behaviour because I cannot access the option to do that.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The option to use the book cover should have been moved to "settings.reader.lua" from the "defaults.lua". It appears to be gone from defaults, but I don't yet see it in settings.reader.lua. (I have "KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK = true" in my "defaults.persistent.lua". You could try adding it to yours, with it set to false.)

I don't know why your KOBO is not having the menu option though.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-06-2016 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
the_doc
Connoisseur

Thanks.
I added the option with notepad++ to defaults.persistent.lua. It ignores it though. It still shows the cover of the last book in sleep mode.
The option KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK doesn't appear in the default.lua.
Well, it is not important. And small bugs are normal in development versions. It it is not solved in next versions, I'll open a ticket in github.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:27 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I'd open a GH issue right now .

KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK appears to be gone, yet it's still checked to devise whether or not to show the "Screensaver" settings menu entry.

As for the "Advanced settings" menu entry, I have no clue what it's supposed to do either, so, might as well add that to the mix .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:26 PM   #14
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Someone might also, question why there is the checkable "Show advanced options" in both the File Manager and Reader Menus. The "Advanced settings" menu item is only in the File Manager Menus. I don't think there is any difference with either or both of the "Show advanced options" checked.

The "Advanced settings" menu item opens a listing of the "Defaults", where taping on the listed option brings up a message box to make/change the setting. (You will get an "Unsaved Options" message when you later exit KOReader.)

Luck;
Ken

P.S.; It would make sense, to me, if there were "Advanced Settings" in each menu, that set options that applied to the functions associated with that menu.

The Advanced Settings in the File Manager Menu would provide for changes to the File Manager display/functioning and "global" options.

The Reader Menu (with an Epub open) Advanced Settings, would provide for CR3 defaults and that ebook's settings.

The Reader Menu (with a PDF open) Advanced Settings, would provide for PDF settings/defaults.

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-07-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 AM   #15
the_doc
Connoisseur

The "screen server folder" typo is solved in the last OTA development version. But I still cannot access the screensaver last book option. Only the typo was corrected.
I opened a ticket in Github for the "show advanced options" menu entry that does nothing.
At Maltby. Yes, I was talking about the "show advanced options" when I said "advanced settings".