Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #61
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Thanks for creating and revising AKC.

Ok, I like the concept and the simplicity of AKC but I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.

If I use a variation of the basic send to disk template, {author_sort}/_{series}/{title} - {authors} , then I have no problems. And, I would stop here, but I have 3000+ files that I would like to subdivide into more than just author, series collections.

But, if I try to add user generated columns, I run into problems.

for example, I first tried a column, science_fiction_fantasy, that was broken into SFF_Fant, SFF_SciFi, SFF_UFant (comma separated text, ... shown in tag browser)

using this template, {author_sort}/{#science_fiction_fantasy}/_{series}/{title} - {authors}, resulted in following type of file

x:\documents\Jim Butcher\#science_fiction_fantasy\Dresden Files\Storm Front.mobi

All that calibre apparently "sees" is the heading, not the data within the column.

I then tried just creating a yes/no column entitled SFF. That template, {author_sort}/{#SFF}/_{series}/{title} - {authors}, resulted in following type of file

x:\documents\Jim Butcher\yes\Dresden Files\Storm Front.mobi and "yes" and "no" collections.

My ultimate goal is a collection called "SFF" but I'm not there yet.

Any thoughts? Am I choosing the inappropriate column data format?

I'm doing all this on my old Kindle DX-2 running 2.5.6 since it has far fewer files than my everyday K3.

Thanks for any help.
ElizabethN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #62
thermopyle
Enthusiast
thermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
ElizabethN,

I'm not sure why the comma separated text approach works the way it does. I duplicated what you described and got the same result.

Having said that, however, I think the second approach you were using is the correct one for what you really want, but it needs to be adjusted slightly. If what you're looking for is a way to categorize your books as being Fantasy, SciFi, UFantasy (whatever this one is), the best way to do it is like this:

1. Add column of type "Text, column shown in tag browser" and name it Genre or whatever you want.
2. Set the genre values of your books to SciFi, Fantasy, or whatever you want the folder names to be (SFF, in your example, would also work).
3. Set your "send to disk" template to include /{#genre}/ somewhere in the output path.

That should be it for getting SFF or whatever in your folder output, at which point running AKC! will create the appropriate collection.

Let me know how that works!

Last edited by thermopyle; 12-18-2010 at 12:09 PM.
thermopyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #63
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

custom column success

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermopyle View Post

1. Add column of type "Text, column shown in tag browser" and name it Genre or whatever you want.
2. Set the genre values of your books to SciFi, Fantasy, or whatever you want the folder names to be (SFF, in your example, would also work).
3. Set your "send to disk" template to include /{#genre}/ somewhere in the output path.

That should be it for getting SFF or whatever in your folder output, at which point running AKC! will create the appropriate collection.
Worked like a charm with 2 custom columns.

I also read parts of the calibre manual & mobileread threads related to plugboard and template creation and custom and composite column creation. So I played around with all that as well.

Only difficulties now are
1)samples from amazon (which are usually drm-free) will not go into a collection using AKC

2)most books downloaded from amazon will not go into a collection using AKC, although some did. this has actually been a problem with other collection managers that I've tried. will have to see if there's anything in common between them all.

Question - Since AKC appears to re-write collections each time you run it, would any books/files that I move manually into a collection be removed from that collection the next time AKC is run?

Before I devote large quantities of time to manually adding books to collections, I want to find out what happens. I have a few pdfs that I sideloaded onto the kindle that have remained in their original collection through several AKC runs. I'm going to try to manually move some of those uncategorized books and samples into collections. I'll reboot aka update the json file then save it. Then use calibre to put a few more books on the kindle, run AKC, update and see what happens.

Thanks for your help and the program.

ps. ufant = urban fantasy i.e, Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews...

pss - rewording - AKC creates the collection but the file that should go into the collection doesn't. collection shows as (0).

Last edited by ElizabethN; 12-18-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-18-2010, 09:03 PM   #64
thermopyle
Enthusiast
thermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-booksthermopyle has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
Question - Since AKC appears to re-write collections each time you run it, would any books/files that I move manually into a collection be removed from that collection the next time AKC is run?

Thanks for your help and the program.
AKC! currently will overwrite any collections in the previous file. The next version will allow for author-maintained collections which will be ignored by the program--probably by the user adding a ~ prefix to the name of the collection, or some other identifying character.

You're welcome.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #65
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

samples and amazon purchased books

I noticed that none of my amazon samples and purchased books go into a collection without manually moving them into a collection using the kindle. This has been relatively consistent throughout trials of different kindle collection editors, including AKC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornington View Post
...2) The weird asin thing I mentioned above. This isn't "fixed" as such, but I've come up with several workarounds, which are described in the now-huge comment at the top of the script file.

Basically, I noticed that all the affected books were ones purchased from Amazon, whether they were stripped of DRM or not. So the simplest workaround is to reconvert them twice: First convert them to epub format and then convert the epubs back to mobi format. That'll strip out that embedded metadata asin and allow them to be managed as normal.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...47#post1255247 for script file
After reading through various threads, I came across Mornington's suggestion and gave it a try. I converted an azw file to epub then used the epub file to convert to mobi. I deleted the azw file from calibre and the original from the device and then send the new mobi file to the device. AKC! was able to add books to collections if the mobi, not azw, file was used. If I didn't delete the azw file then a revised azw file was sent to the device, even though a mobi file was also present. Without opening calibre, I can't remember if it sends over azw before mobi files if both are present.

For samples specifically, if the azw file was used, the kindle read the file as a "sample" with working links to the kindle store, but the file wouldn't go into a collection except manually. If the mobi file was used, the kindle no longer saw the file as a sample, so kindle store links didn't work, but AKC! was able to put the file into a collection.

So some of those empty collections that AKC! created were finally used.

Quote:
AKC! currently will overwrite any collections in the previous file. The next version will allow for author-maintained collections which will be ignored by the program--probably by the user adding a ~ prefix to the name of the collection, or some other identifying character.
So, until the next version comes out with above ability to keep my manually tweaked samples in their designated collection, I will avoid messing with samples and just clean up the amazon files that currently won't go into collections. I have plenty of those to keep me busy.
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #66
thermopyle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethN View Post
If I didn't delete the azw file then a revised azw file was sent to the device, even though a mobi file was also present. Without opening calibre, I can't remember if it sends over azw before mobi files if both are present.
I believe it does send the azw file by default. Just in case you are not aware of it, however, there is an option to send a particular format to the Kindle. Simply right-click on the books you want to transfer, mouse-over "Send to Device", and then go to "Send Specific Format To" and "Main Memory." When you click on that, it will pop up a screen asking which format you want sent to the Kindle. Simply choose mobi and that should do the trick.

I'll try to get the next version posted this weekend. Unfortunately the holidays have been a bit hectic otherwise I would have gotten that done earlier.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #67
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I'm considering trying this as I have 10 pages of books to scroll through to find anything. Also each track of an audio book is showing up in the library.
I do not understand this
"No user-input required, though .net 4.0 needs to be installed."
What is .net 4.0?
I do not want to jailbreak, root or modify my Kindle. Will your application work as is. I still have no collections at all as that option is not avaiable for some reason.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #68
thermopyle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieknits View Post
I'm considering trying this as I have 10 pages of books to scroll through to find anything. Also each track of an audio book is showing up in the library.
I do not understand this
"No user-input required, though .net 4.0 needs to be installed."
What is .net 4.0?
I do not want to jailbreak, root or modify my Kindle. Will your application work as is. I still have no collections at all as that option is not avaiable for some reason.
You have to register your Kindle in order to get collections to be a selectable option. That's quite easy, however--just enter your info, turn wireless on and connect to a router, and register it. Then turn wireless back off, if you wish.

.net 4.0 is a Windows framework. A lot of programs use .net. It's nothing to do with the Kindle--the .net framework has to be installed on the computer you're connecting the Kindle to, is all. You can download .net from Microsoft here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #69
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie

Quote:
I believe it does send the azw file by default. Just in case you are not aware of it, however, there is an option to send a particular format to the Kindle. Simply right-click on the books you want to transfer, mouse-over "Send to Device", and then go to "Send Specific Format To" and "Main Memory." When you click on that, it will pop up a screen asking which format you want sent to the Kindle. Simply choose mobi and that should do the trick.

I'll try to get the next version posted this weekend. Unfortunately the holidays have been a bit hectic otherwise I would have gotten that done earlier.
Thanks! I forgot that I can do that with calibre, I've gotten so used to just hitting the button and using my previous default. That way I wouldn't have to lose the original azw file from calibre.

Whenever you get the next version released is fine, I appreciate what you've done so far. I've got plenty of files to clean up on the K3 before running AKC on it. I've just been practicing with AKC on our kindle DX as it has far fewer files.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:56 AM   #70
Mike G
Mike G began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Deleted (sorry, couldn't find the delete post button)

Last edited by Mike G; 12-28-2010 at 06:00 AM.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #71
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Hello thermopyle,

What a marvelous idea for a program! Exactly the functionality I've been wishing my Kindle had. What's the point of folders if you can't navigate them?

You mentioned that you coded AKC! for your K3. Do you happen to know if it will run on a DX? I'm on a DXG and very keen to try it, but don't want to break anything.

With gratitude,
Wishing you a beautiful day,

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #72
Slizide
Slizide began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but is there a way to use this program to automatically add books to collections that are sent through email? For example if I email a book to my kindle email address it would then automatically add it to a specified collection.

Thanks,
Adam
Slizide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:47 PM   #73
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Does anyone have this program? The link in the 1st post is dead.
Thank you!
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #74
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Does anyone have this program? The link in the 1st post is dead.
Thank you!
I did a web search and found that three archives in China listed a copy, but I could not download any of them.

Check the wayback site, you might find some were that had a copy 7 years ago.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #75
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
knc1
Wow! Awesome! I found it! Thank you sooo much! Google Archives are no more reliable for me, tried it with some other websites before, with no success. So even didn't bother myslef to try it with this link.

Attached the latest archive from December 2, 2012, if anyone needs. Haven't tested it yet.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CollectionGenerator.62.zip (3.4 KB, 307 views)
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collection, generator, kindle