Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 PM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
There is just something about how the font is on the top of the screen with a e-ink reader. Again, I can't explain it. It was a wonder when I got my first kindle, the K1 in 2008. And I still can't explain it. Eyes glide over and don't strain. They feel relaxed and I get get inside the story and forget everything else. With phone and tablet, i am always just outside of the story as I notice the reading part. The physical part of it. Again, I just can't explain it.
Yep. I can't explain it either. And, really, I don't think there is any real reason to feel obligated to explain it or "justify" it. eInk readers just work much, much better for me.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #62
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Hey, I'd rather Katsunami take advantage of reading from his phone while he can. I loved the portability of the Itouch - just can't read from it any longer. The Kobo app is great, but 15 minutes out and my vision is blurred. One of those large Iphones would probably work, but I'm holding out against a Smartphone until I have no choice due to the cost (I'm a flip phone woman). We're losing out on taxi service to Uber and Lyft and that's going to become a problem for everybody without Smartphones. Just another thing to figure out.

My late sister preferred using a Fire to read - apparently the lighting was better for her than the paperwhite 1.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:03 AM   #63
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I checked that on my Tab A 10.5 with a reading app open and I agree.
I haven't checked it; I calculated it

1920 x 1200, width/height
Pythagoras yields a 2264 pixel diagonal
Specs say the diagonal is 10.5 inches long.
There are 216 pixels in one inch.
The screen is thus 8.89 inch wide, and 5.56 inch high.
In landscape, one page would thus be 4.45 inch wide, and 5.56 inch high.

Pythagoras yields a diagonal of 7.12 inches for one page.

So it's a tiny bit smaller than I first said. Probably was a bit careless in rounding.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-20-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:50 AM   #64
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I love those videos where the person is reading, or doing whatever, on their phone while walking and steps in a hole or the one where they walk straight into the shin high wall of the fountain and fall in face first! That one is priceless!
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #65
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I haven't checked it; I calculated it
I assumed that you had calculated it. I just confirmed it by actual measurement of the display area because I knew the E Ink fanboys would otherwise just dismiss, in their minds, such a positive aspect of a tablet as not being true .
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #66
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I assumed that you had calculated it. I just confirmed it by actual measurement of the display area because I knew the E Ink fanboys would otherwise just dismiss, in their minds, such a positive aspect of a tablet as not being true .
Good thing you checked though, because the calculation is incorrectly assuming 216 pixel per inch on the diagonal. Same difference if he used the "pixels" along the diagonal of the whole tablet merely to get the width and height of the display and ignored pixels afterwards altogether.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:26 PM   #67
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Good thing you checked though, because the calculation is incorrectly assuming 216 pixel per inch on the diagonal. Same difference if he used the "pixels" along the diagonal of the whole tablet merely to get the width and height of the display and ignored pixels afterwards altogether.
For the record, actual measurements of the display area on the device match all of Katsunami's calculated ones, including both the diagonals (within the accuracy of measurements by a metric steel rule--so within, say, 0.5mm--then converted to inches @ 25.4mm/inch) .
Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #68
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't know about the rest of us "E Ink fanboys" but the screen resolution on a tablet is the least of my concerns when rejecting a tablet for general reading. I'm guessing that "tablet fanboys" are more concerned about this sort of thing.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 PM   #69
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
For the record, actual measurements of the display area on the device match all of Katsunami's calculated ones, including both the diagonals (within the accuracy of measurements by a metric steel rule--so within, say, 0.5mm--then converted to inches @ 25.4mm/inch) .
That means Katsunami calculated correctly. He just used "pixel" as a length unit of 1/216th inch. In this case whether he did it on purpose (without saying) or by accident yields the same results. Imagine non square pixels, for example.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:16 PM   #70
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Why would you think that? I'm getting a bit tired of all this "e-ink fanboy" thing. One can be a fan of e-ink and also like tablets, phones etc., just not for book reading. I love my Kindles. I also love my smartphone and my Surface tablet and my new laptop with a 4k screen. I spend a fair amount of time with each of them. Yes, I read books only on e-ink, but that doesn't automatically mean I can't appreciate any other devices.

(Of course I get that you meant it as a joke. Still, it's getting a bit irritating.)
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 PM   #71
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know about the rest of us "E Ink fanboys" but the screen resolution on a tablet is the least of my concerns when rejecting a tablet for general reading. I'm guessing that "tablet fanboys" are more concerned about this sort of thing.
But I didn't say anything about screen resolution at all - I only confirmed the dimensions of the display .
Old 09-20-2018, 10:32 PM   #72
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Why would you think that? I'm getting a bit tired of all this "e-ink fanboy" thing. One can be a fan of e-ink and also like tablets, phones etc., just not for book reading. I love my Kindles. I also love my smartphone and my Surface tablet and my new laptop with a 4k screen. I spend a fair amount of time with each of them. Yes, I read books only on e-ink, but that doesn't automatically mean I can't appreciate any other devices.

(Of course I get that you meant it as a joke. Still, it's getting a bit irritating.)
Perhaps not as irritating as all the posts expounding the wonders and advantages of E Ink over everything else that appear in these forums could be. Tablets and phones are hardly ever mentioned in these forums, in comparison, and in the main when they do they refer to objective attributes (such as the sizes I have just been providing) rather than subjective ones.

So perhaps, you are just being a little overly sensitive about the matter.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:42 PM   #73
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
But I didn't say anything about screen resolution at all - I only confirmed the dimensions of the display .
Okay, like me edit my response than.

I don't know about the rest of us "E Ink fanboys" but the screen dimensions on a tablet is the least of my concerns when rejecting a tablet for general reading. I'm guessing that "tablet fanboys" are more concerned about this sort of thing.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #74
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Perhaps not as irritating as all the posts expounding the wonders and advantages of E Ink over everything else that appear in these forums could be. Tablets and phones are hardly ever mentioned in these forums, in comparison, and in the main when they do they refer to objective attributes (such as the sizes I have just been providing) rather than subjective ones.

So perhaps, you are just being a little overly sensitive about the matter.
Or, perhaps, you're being unnecessarily snide about the matter. <-- See the "smiley"? That obviously means this is just a joke.

My main "subjective" reason for using an eInk Reader instead of a tablet is the FACT that LCD screens are uncomfortable for my eyes when reading and eInk screens aren't. This very real issue, despite the insinuation that it isn't. "Objective reasons" (in other words, reasons that don't apply "subjectively" to me) are beside the point. But, of course, we "E Ink fanboys" do bring up objective reasons for preferring eInk Readers — lighter, longer battery life, single use, etc. — but these are pooh poohed by you "tablet fanboys" since they don't "fit."

Oh, I almost forgot the smiley.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 PM   #75
AnotherCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Okay, like me edit my response than.

I don't know about the rest of us "E Ink fanboys" but the screen dimensions on a tablet is the least of my concerns when rejecting a tablet for general reading. I'm guessing that "tablet fanboys" are more concerned about this sort of thing.
Like some other things (well, at least one springs to mind) - the bigger the better .

Katsunami's thread has, however, prompted me to look at using my phone again for reading, if only occasionally. The first devices I read on, way back, were PDAs so got used to small devices, then later E Ink and occasionally my phone, then for several years now tablets. I read a mix of fiction and non-fiction (including reference). When I go anywhere I usually have a computer bag or postie type bag with me so throwing a tablet in is no problem.

But sometimes I go off to just an appointment or similar without those and if they are running late end up with a bit of time to spare but nothing to read. So I have now just installed my reading app on my phone and have it syncing bookmarks, notes etc. with my tablet. I use a 5 inch phone which, I'm guessing, has about the same screen real estate as the old smaller PDAs, certainly enough for me for occasional fiction use.