Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2017, 10:22 AM   #1
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre 3 Icon size

I have a 3840x2160 monitor and I found the icons to be gigantic.

Navigating to Preferences -> Look and feel -> Icon Size = Small, fixed the problem for the main window but had no effect on "Edit metadata" or "Covert books" windows.

It seems the setting in preferences is not global.

In general, everything seems to be outsized in some odd way that I can't put my finger on. The text looks fine with the default MS Shell Dlg 2 [8pt].

Maybe it's the spacing in the book details main window. Each line seems to have a lot of space above and below the text. In full-screen mode, I have 42 books visible and I think I had more in the previous version.

All in all, I find Calibre 3 to be excellent and I've not had any issues other than the above.

BTW, I 'm running Windows 10.

Thanks for all your efforts Kovid.
LordP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Turn off high resolution scaling. Preferences->Look & Feel->Adjust for high resolution screens

that should get you back the same behavior as in 2
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
LordP
Zealot
LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LordP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I should have been a bit more thorough.

I did try turning off the scaling but did not like the look (icons are really, really small). Using small icons give a much better look, on the main window.

I tried it again and wanted to tell you that I see the same amount of books in the main window (42) - it must be a matter of perception I guess.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
I tried it again and wanted to tell you that I see the same amount of books in the main window (42) - it must be a matter of perception I guess.
Try adjusting Preferences->Look and Feel->Extra spacing to add between rows in the book list to a negative number.

On a 1920x1200 monitor, using Verdana 8pt font, I have it set to -11, and that gives me 53 lines full screen.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #5
LordP
Zealot

Thanks, BetterRed, it made the main window seem less empty.

I can see now that most of the global adjustments (are they global?) are not having any effect on the other windows. Maybe in a future release?

Early days.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordP View Post
Thanks, BetterRed, it made the main window seem less empty.

I can see now that most of the global adjustments (are they global?) are not having any effect on the other windows. Maybe in a future release?

Early days.
This may help explain some stuff ==>> Unexpected: calibre 3.0 high-dpi support looks weird

The changes within Qt are presumably global because it does all the UI stuff, beyond that I'm not sure. If something looks seriously bad post some screen shots.

BR
Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #7
Pavati
Pavati began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Prior to calibre 3.0 calibre displayed in more tight, compact look. I had 16 icons with text on main bar, now only 14 of them fit. Also book details pane now displays larger white spaces between lines and much less text is being displayed without scrolling. The amount of books displayed was reduced too, but I managed to adjust it by setting spacing to low minus values.

I read here that turning off that new high resolution option ("Adjust for high resolution screens" - is that the one?) should bring calibre to how it looked in 2.+ but that helped nothing - still only 14 icons fitting on screen, also the Book Details section hasn't changed

Due to sight issues I have a setting in Windows to display everything in 125% scale. But I've had that on for years, and previous versions of calibre prior 3.0 weren't affected like that and much more info/text would fit on screen.

Last edited by Pavati; 06-20-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Pavati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM   #8
LordP
Zealot

@BetterRed

No, it does not look "bad", just odd.

The picture illustrates what I'm talking about, you can see the main screen at the top with a piece of the "Edit Metadata" screen below that.

I have the high DPI scaling set to "Automatic" - my screen is 3840 x 2160.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11vs3kh.png
Views:	269
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	157443

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-21-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: copy invisible image from tinypic to MR
Old 06-21-2017, 06:40 AM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Moderator Notice
@LordP - I couldn't see your image at tinypic so I upped it to here. I think the board blocks some image hosts, I was able to dl image form tinypic and ul to here so it wasn't me.

Click the paper clip icon in Advanced mode to get to attachment upload screen.

BR
Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
LordP
Zealot

Sorry. I did reduce the size and assumed that tinypic was ok since the posting mechanism allowed it.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

It might have been tinypic that didn't want me to see it, or my ISP, or some politician

The 600x600 limit is for the image displayed in the post, the MR facility will always* show thumbnails even when an image is posted inline, the image behind it can be up to 1.5MB for jpegs and 1.0 MB for pngs.

BR

* I think
Old 06-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #12
Pavati
Pavati began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 3, Kindle Paperwhite 3
Any advice why turning off high resolution screens support in options does not bring calibre to previous 2.x look as it was adviced elsewhere? I don't wish to set icons to small...
Pavati is offline   Reply With Quote