Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
dickamm
dickamm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Arrow Still deciding on Kindle 2

Well, like many others, I received a Kindle 2 for Christmas, and have been having fun learning what is can (and cannot!) do for me. And the jury is still out, as I am deciding whether or not to return it. So far, it has not enabled me to enjoy reading any books that I'd like to read; I just don't want to buy an eBook just yet until I have decided this is the way for me. And I have learned that I cannot check out ebooks from the library!! I checked several out, but I can only read them on my computer. What's the use of having a portable Kindle if I am tethered to the computer to read ebooks?

Anyway, thought I'd join the forum, and perhaps be convinced I should keep it? I may start another thread in finding a way to check out ebooks from the library.

Thanks!
dickamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
There are some free books and very cheap books on Amazon that you could download to try out the Kindle. I have three eReaders, two Sonys and a K2. I have spent very little money buying books for either the Sony or the Kindle.

I have not checked out any library books for my Reader. I live in San Diego and the public library system is pretty limited in that department.

Good luck deciding. I love my K2. I vote that you keep it!
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi dickamm and welcome to MobileRead.I've had a Sony 505 for over two years and really like it. And, I can borrow eBooks from my library.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to the site.

If you like to read an Ereader is the way to go.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hello Dickamm, and welcome.

You say you don't want to buy an ebook until you are sure this is the route you want to take. That's fair enough, but you'll get a lot more enjoyment out of your Kindle -- and better appreciate its capabilities -- once you've got stuck into a book or two.

Why don't you download a couple of the free books from this forum, or from one of the many other free download sites. Choose a type of book that you're likely to enjoy. Then just start reading. When you do, try to focus on the book, not on the device.

After a while, you might find that the book is absorbing all your attention, and you almost forget that you're holding a piece of plastic and glass. If that doesn't happen -- well, maybe you'll decide to return it, but at least you'll be making an informed decision.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Welcome to MR. Unfortunately most libraries use Overdrive which uses the epub format and adobe DE DRM.

As mentioned above there are free books at Amazon and the Kindle is compatible with DRM-free mobi format. You can also convert other DRM-free formats to mobi using Calibre. Calibre also provides "recipes" that download a variety or content like "Science Daily", Newspapers and other information.

Enjoy!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
dickamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmama View Post
There are some free books and very cheap books on Amazon that you could download to try out the Kindle. I have three eReaders, two Sonys and a K2. I have spent very little money buying books for either the Sony or the Kindle.

I have not checked out any library books for my Reader. I live in San Diego and the public library system is pretty limited in that department.

Good luck deciding. I love my K2. I vote that you keep it!
Thanks for the feedback, SDMama. Yes, I have downloaded a number of free books from Amazon, and they have whetted my appetite, and thanks to another member, Daffy, I have now been able to download books from the library as well. I think this might just be a "keeper"!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome to MR!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #9
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi & welcome to MR. I am sure you find the answers you are looking for here. Although I decided against a Kindle due to it's limitations in file formats, I think it can be a good device. And you got it as a present so maybe it's a way for you to start exploring the world of eBooks.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
dickamm

Thanks to all!

Just to update everyone, I have finally decided to keep the Kindle 2. Daffy was very helpful in showing me how to enjoy books from other formats (ePub, etc.) that I get from the library on my Kindle, so now I feel there are no obstacles to complete enjoyment!

Thanks to all for your welcoming words and encouragement! Now onward and upward on Kindle 2!

Dick

Tags
library