Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-28-2023, 12:09 AM   #1291
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's easier to understand Fahrenheit. I know that 72 degrees is a nice day.
I have no idea what 72 F feels like. It's almost like people who constantly use a unit system find it easy to understand, and people who don't, don't. Who knew we were all individuals?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:22 PM   #1292
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I have no idea what 72 F feels like. It's almost like people who constantly use a unit system find it easy to understand, and people who don't, don't. Who knew we were all individuals?
I think it's just a matter of what you're used to. I since I grew up with Fahrenheit the range of temperatures just come naturally to me, while I'd have to think a bit when it comes to Celsius. Generally, for me temperatures in the 70s F are comfortable, outside of that range it becomes uncomfortable although appropriate clothing makes colder temperatures comfortable.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:43 PM   #1293
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I think it's just a matter of what you're used to. I since I grew up with Fahrenheit the range of temperatures just come naturally to me, while I'd have to think a bit when it comes to Celsius. Generally, for me temperatures in the 70s F are comfortable, outside of that range it becomes uncomfortable although appropriate clothing makes colder temperatures comfortable.
I grew up with Fahrenheit, switched to Celsius and now have to think of just what a Fahrenheit temperature feels like. Must the same with shopping though quite a few stores still show prices in pounds instead of kilograms. Driving is a bit of a no brainer since you just stay at or below the posted speed limit.

After getting used to metric, it is just an easier system to use. Even something as trivial as calculating the weight of an aquarium when it is filled with water is much easier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #1294
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Must the same with shopping though quite a few stores still show prices in pounds instead of kilograms.
"Eh," I said, "How long since Canada used pounds! Oh I get it, he means 'ibs' pounds." Can't remember when I last saw one of those either.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; Yesterday at 05:50 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #1295
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
"Eh," I said, "How long since Canada used pounds! Oh I get it, he means 'ibs' pounds." Can't remember when I last saw one of those either.
If you are referring to pounds ( £) as currency, Canada started using the dollar back in 1858 so a bit before my time.
Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM   #1296
ownedbycats
Grand Sorcerer
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
"Losing ten pounds" means very different things in US English and British English...
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM   #1297
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bah, pounds, currency for the hoi-polloi.

Everyone worth knowing would know that anything worth having is priced in guineas
Old Yesterday, 07:07 PM   #1298
DNSB
Bibliophagist

British currency hasn't been nearly as much fun since decimalization. 12 pence to the shilling, 2 shillings to the florin, 2 shillings, 6 pence to the half-crown, 5 shillings to the crown, 20 shillings to the pound, 21 shillings to the guinea were so much fun.

The last person I know who had a guinea coin paid $5,000 Cdn for a George III guinea from 1813 in very good condition.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #1299
Thasaidon
Hedge Wizard
Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thasaidon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
British currency hasn't been nearly as much fun since decimalization. 12 pence to the shilling, 2 shillings to the florin, 2 shillings, 6 pence to the half-crown, 5 shillings to the crown, 20 shillings to the pound, 21 shillings to the guinea were so much fun.
You did not mention 4 farthings to a penny.

I can still remember being sent by my great grandmother, in the early 1950's, to the local grocers to buy her preferred loaf of bread. It cost so many pence and one farthing. I remember being surprised by this as the farthing had become quite rare at this time, though it was still legal tender.
Thasaidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM   #1300
BetterRed
null operator

£.s.d. combined with avoirdupois units of mass and imperial units of length resulted in a deftness of mental arithmetic that you'd be hard pressed to find today. My mother could tell the man who sliced the ham how much he should charge for the 7¼ ounces of 9s.6½d ham as he was weighing it, ditto the cheese etc, and when she was finished - the total.
Old Today, 03:00 AM   #1301
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
£.s.d. combined with avoirdupois units of mass and imperial units of length resulted in a deftness of mental arithmetic that you'd be hard pressed to find today. My mother could tell the man who sliced the ham how much he should charge for the 7¼ ounces of 9s.6½d ham as he was weighing it, ditto the cheese etc, and when she was finished - the total.
That it's a lot harder to calculate is not a point in its favour!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote