Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-12-2022, 01:30 PM   #1
zadep
zadep began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Kobo Clara 2e discimage

My Kobo Clara 2e died off. I tried to wake it up but without result.
I have opened my Kobo but I need a SD card image.

Is it possible to get a discimage to try tofix it?
Thank you in advance.

Peter
zadep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How did you brick your 2e?

Given that it's still under warranty, contact Kobo to get it sorted.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadep View Post

Thank you in advance.

Peter
At this time, no one with a Clara 2e has created a disc image file for the μSD card and supplied it for sharing.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 03:27 AM   #4
zadep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How did you brick your 2e?

Given that it's still under warranty, contact Kobo to get it sorted.
I was using XC Soar, and it has been working fine... Until.
I tried a version of backing up files, that seem to be incompatible with newer versions of Kobo.

I've tried to install a card with the "old Clara", but it has been unsuccessful.

After doing all this, I dont think Kobo will cover with any warranty.

Cheers

Peter
Old 12-13-2022, 07:07 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I was using XC Soar, and it has been working fine... Until.
I tried a version of backing up files, that seem to be incompatible with newer versions of Kobo.

I've tried to install a card with the "old Clara", but it has been unsuccessful.

After doing all this, I dont think Kobo will cover with any warranty.

Cheers

Peter
You can try and see what happens.

Another option is to buy another 2E and copy the image so you'd have two 2Es.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:25 AM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you can try a manual factory reset (power off, then press and hold power button for 30 seconds)

https://help.kobo.com/hc/en-us/artic...-Kobo-Clara-2E

but it will only work if bootloader, kernel and recovery partition are left untouched
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 10:06 AM   #7
zadep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can try and see what happens.

Another option is to buy another 2E and copy the image so you'd have two 2Es.
Yup.
You're right.
Although painful, I'll need to buy a new one, to copy the SD card of.

My experience with the first one, was that the SD card was glued into it's retainer. Very difficult to remove. (is this normal?)
Therefore I refrained to do so, not to damage the logicboard.

Thanks for all your help.

Peter
Old 01-20-2023, 11:33 PM   #8
Mojav
Mojav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara2e, Nexus 7, Samsung S7 Tab, BN Nook Simple Touch
I’m in The same boat with my first Clara 2e. After imaging a new 32gb and a 128gb card- I lost USB loading support and my Pc does not recognize the Clara 2e when plugged into the usb port. I purchased a 2nd Clara 2e to keep it stock and not remove the internal card. Still can’t seem to get the upgraded memory card on the 1st Clara 2e to work.
The only issue is the ability to mount the usb drive.

Any tips are appreciated. I’ve swapped PCs, ports and cables to no avail
Mojav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 02:17 PM   #9
pastapojken
pastapojken began at the beginning.

Kind of the same boat here? I think? Got it today, switched it off and opened it up with the intention of preparing it and create an image backup while waiting for the bigger card to arrive.
At first I couldn't get the SD card to show up on Linux at all so I changed reader and then it did but I think something is weird with the partition table or something? The "lsblk" output was super wierd.
Anyway I plugged it back in the Kobo in order to check that it was all fine and the Kobo does not react. Shows up as "NXP Semiconductors SE Blank 6SLL" in "lsusb" and restarts if I hold the power button 15 seconds, so I'm assuming somehow the sd card got corrupted & it can't find the boot partition?
Anyway the kobo still takes charge so it's not fried (I checked with a usb power meter).

I'm usually pretty handy with circuits and the like but this has me utterly confused (although please note that this is my first kobo...).
pastapojken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:45 PM   #10
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojav View Post
Any tips are appreciated. I’ve swapped PCs, ports and cables to no avail
I remember that I solved a similar problem after upgrading the storage of a Kobo Glo HD some 5 years ago (the third (FAT) partition with the books would no longer show as USB mass storage in Windows after enlarging it in Linux) by doing a Manual factory reset. I think that probably reset the active/boot/whatever flag to the correct partition. I had a backup of the book partition so I could just copy back books, database, and configuration files afterwards.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 12:38 PM   #11
fritolays
fritolays began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Graphite DX, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:

Thank you in advance.

Peter
Over here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=350664

Last edited by fritolays; 01-23-2023 at 09:24 PM.
fritolays is offline   Reply With Quote