Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #226
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I dislike series which are effectively short stories and which could (and probably should) be contained as one novel. So if Book 1 has only 100 pages... I'm not touching it. I like series which only have three or four (or less)... LoTR for example, and Stephen Baxter's "Northland" series. The Harry Potter series is outside that, it stands on its own. There are also a couple of series from Bob Mayer which went on... and on... and on... and I still don't know if I finished them all.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #227
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
There are also a couple of series from Bob Mayer which went on... and on... and on... and I still don't know if I finished them all.
Area 51! Yeesh, how many books did that take? 7 books in the main series. I appreciated that one though, as he started off with a fairly standard Tom Clancy-ish story, then each book got nuttier and nuttier. Richard Burton, Excalibur, Nosferatu, the Sphinx, Stonehenge... I suspect he was making half of it up as he went.

There's also two side stories and two sequel series. But I never read beyond the first series.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #228
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Area 51! Yeesh, how many books did that take? 7 books in the main series. I appreciated that one though, as he started off with a fairly standard Tom Clancy-ish story, then each book got nuttier and nuttier. Richard Burton, Excalibur, Nosferatu, the Sphinx, Stonehenge... I suspect he was making half of it up as he went.

There's also two side stories and two sequel series. But I never read beyond the first series.
Area 51, thats it. Amazing, I had forgotten the name of the series. Probably because it became completely forgettable, even though I felt driven to complete, and I think there was 9 or 10 books. There was Atlantis as well but that was only 5 or 6. Both started well. He was also writing under Robert Doherty.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #229
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I'm perfectly OK with most types of "series", but I rather detest "serials" except when distributed complete in a single volume.

I've read a number of series that worked well (e.g. the Lord Peter Whimsey series, the Sherlock Holmes stories, ...), even when it is best to read them in order. As long as each is complete in and of itself, I'm OK with their being a series.

When you have to read the whole set to get to the single conclusion then its a "serial", and it must be complete in a single volume or I won't read any of it. I had enough of the "tune in next week for the next exciting chapter..." long ago in early childhood.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 04:38 PM   #230
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I'm perfectly OK with most types of "series", but I rather detest "serials" except when distributed complete in a single volume.

I've read a number of series that worked well (e.g. the Lord Peter Whimsey series, the Sherlock Holmes stories, ...), even when it is best to read them in order. As long as each is complete in and of itself, I'm OK with their being a series.

When you have to read the whole set to get to the single conclusion then its a "serial", and it must be complete in a single volume or I won't read any of it. I had enough of the "tune in next week for the next exciting chapter..." long ago in early childhood.
I have another not so loving word for "episode" or "serial" books. If I buy a book I want an entire book, not a give me more money and I might tell you what happened part of a book.
One blogger (diy) published her book 3 chapters at a time and for money's sake, retitled chapters 12-15 and gave it away. Oh yes when you got past the 10% babble , it said chapter 12.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2021, 07:10 PM   #231
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I'm not sure which series are worse, ... or those which repeat the same details over and over and over again in every book.
I recently completed the 12 novels in the Saga of Seven Suns/Saga of Shadows series, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The story follows numerous characters (20+), and each character is treated to short chapters, each chapter in the novel jumping between the characters.

Not only are details between books repeated over and over, each chapter contains a "catchup" of events from the previous chapters for that character. Even though we just read about that character 2 chapters ago (about 5 minutes ago) easily one quarter to one half of the chapter is devoted to the "previously in xxxx character".
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #232
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I recently completed the 12 novels in the Saga of Seven Suns/Saga of Shadows series, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

The story follows numerous characters (20+), and each character is treated to short chapters, each chapter in the novel jumping between the characters.

Not only are details between books repeated over and over, each chapter contains a "catchup" of events from the previous chapters for that character. Even though we just read about that character 2 chapters ago (about 5 minutes ago) easily one quarter to one half of the chapter is devoted to the "previously in xxxx character".
I can understand having some catchup info at the beginning of each new book, but each chapter? The author must think readers have a really short attention span!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #233
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I could understand doing that if the book had been serialized, for example, in a magazine.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:51 PM   #234
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I like series if they are good. I like Hyperion Cantos, Dune series and Niceville series. I hate Odd Thomas. First two books were good then I lost interest. James Patterson Woman's Murder Club is good
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:45 AM   #235
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
I was going to say I don't like series that don't have a definitive "end", but then I remembered I'm a diehard of the Lincoln Lawyer series, so that's a boldfaced lie in general I enjoy Michael Connelly's works.

I like series with definitive ends because I can follow characters over a long period, and watch them grow. And it feels fun to work towards an ending.

I admit I'm hesitent to pick up unfinished series unless it's guaranteed to end (e.g. the author has a good reputation for finishing books or the release date of the final book is imminent). I really don't want to read GoT or other notorious unfinished series and be left waiting for who knows how long to reach a conclusion. There's plenty of finished series for me to enjoy.

I will say series beyond 3 or 4 books are daunting... Maybe I'll learn to enjoy them? A bit scared to try
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:37 AM   #236
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
I dislike series novels. I feel like I am the only one on the planet who feels this way. I just want every novel to be a new world of its own, with its own characters and without having to remember the details of the novels that have gone before it.

I think mystery novels where only the "investigator" type person stays constant are fine (and even they are entitled to evolve over time.
If I am understanding correctly, I am a 180 from this. I really enjoy Mark Nolan's series with Jake and Cody. Excellent works. Everyone has their own likes. Tomayto tomahto.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:40 AM   #237
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I heartily love the Gormenghast series, by Mervyn Peake.*

I heartily dislike the series by Lynn Flewelling - The Nightrunner Series, I think it's called. The main character is a whiner. And the author loves her info dumps. Anyway, I tried twice to get into it, but bogged down around 80-100 pages into it on both occasions. Now consigned to digital limbo. **

* If you dislike it, that's great for you!
** If you like it, that's great for you!

ADDED: But generally, I like book series, especially the two series by Karl Ove Knausgård.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-16-2021 at 06:44 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:24 AM   #238
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It’s been a long thread and I’m not going to reread it. There are two salient points and I’m quite sure they’ve already been made perhaps even by me. First, it’s useful to differentiate between series which consist of essentially standalones, even if there’s an evolving narrative through them, and serials, also referred to as series, which are episodic. The first don’t need to be read in order, the second do.

The second point is that they all deteriorate over time. Some get better before they get worse; some start to lose steam almost immediately. I abandon virtually all series before they die of their own accord, or the author does. A serial is more likely to keep me reading, even if most of the entertainment has gone. Just want to see how it plays out. Not always, though.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #239
chongjasmine
Connoisseur
chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chongjasmine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I actually prefer series, especially in the forms of trilogies to single novel. That might be due to the fact that I read in the fantasy genre.
chongjasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 06:21 PM   #240
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
I do enjoy the occasional series. They should be limited to about three books though. The author has usually exhausted most of the original concepts and ideas by then. An example would be The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. I have been eagerly awaiting the third and final book for 10 years now. (This might also be an argument against series. )

The exception might be Discworld by Terry Pratchett, because, well, Discworld.
Angst is offline   Reply With Quote