Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 11-06-2020, 05:19 PM   #3001
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I finished Brothers In Arms by Lois Bujold (Vorkosigan Saga). Wonderful book! Again! Gardner Grover was as usual quite excellent.

I started the latest Jodi Taylor book, but am setting it aside. Distractions between election and bad news on my eyes are just making it hard to concentrate and Chronicles of St Mary's requires some concentration as events happen fast. I think I'll do another Myrtle Clover instead. So A Body In the Trunk by Elizabeth Spann Craig will be my next listen.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 06:16 PM   #3002
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I finished Brothers In Arms by Lois Bujold (Vorkosigan Saga). Wonderful book! Again! Gardner Grover was as usual quite excellent.

I started the latest Jodi Taylor book, but am setting it aside. Distractions between election and bad news on my eyes are just making it hard to concentrate and Chronicles of St Mary's requires some concentration as events happen fast. I think I'll do another Myrtle Clover instead. So A Body In the Trunk by Elizabeth Spann Craig will be my next listen.
I’m very sorry about your eyes. I know damage was done that couldn’t be undone, but I’d hoped that was the end of it and that they wouldn’t continue to degrade.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2020, 08:02 PM   #3003
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post

Sorry about your eyes. Have you looked into the National Library Service. They offer free audiobooks for those who are visually impaired. My mother has macular degeneration and loves this service. They even offer free audio players for those who are technology declined, like my 83 year old mother.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #3004
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Sorry about your eyes. Have you looked into the National Library Service. They offer free audiobooks for those who are visually impaired. My mother has macular degeneration and loves this service. They even offer free audio players for those who are technology declined, like my 83 year old mother.
Apache
Yes, very sorry about your eyes, but a second recommendation for the National Library Service. An amazing service for those who need it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #3005
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I had originally wanted to set her up using Audible through an echo, but she resisted. She prefers the reader supplied by the NLS. With the mild weather we get this time of year she enjoys sitting out side while listening.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 04:41 PM   #3006
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
A novel that's been on my TBR pile for a while: The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty - interesting story so far with excellent narration.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:19 AM   #3007
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I still have about 4 hours on Heir of Novron. I figure I should finish it this weekend. A 30 hour book takes a while when you listen in the car but don't have to commute anymore. I still find that I tend to nod off listening when I'm not doing something else.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #3008
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I’m very sorry about your eyes. I know damage was done that couldn’t be undone, but I’d hoped that was the end of it and that they wouldn’t continue to degrade.
The actual vision hasn't worsened at this point, but I'm taking the med with all the awful side effects to reduce optic nerve swelling to prevent more loss. It's just very frustrating. Nobody gets this back a second time much less a 4th time. But there are a very few of us who are atypical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I will ask my regular ophthalmologist about this the next time I'm there. I haven't been able to read printed material in years due to ghosting, but I guess he has to sign off on it. Thanks for the link. I might not need the equipment now, but eventually, I will have to come up with ideas on how to load Mp3 audiobooks onto my Ipods to listen.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-12-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #3009
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I finally finished up Heir of Novron. It was a very good book, read by a very good narrator and at 30 hours, it's an excellent value.

I decided to move on to the next book in Drake and Stirling's The General series (The Steel). It's just 10 hours long. Then I move on to Butcher's Peace Talks. That should carry me to the end of the year.

I had a bit of a problem switching books on the ride home yesterday. The categories was no longer accessible via books in carplay. Fortunately, Apple had fixed the bug, so the problem was fixed by downloading the 14.2 update for my iPhone. Audible now supports categories in carplay as well.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #3010
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I finished the 30+ hours of The Last Chronicle of Barset; the plotting was perfunctory albeit with a surprise or two, but the characterizations, dialogue and social commentary were exemplary and Timothy West did his usual marvelous narration. Sorry I am to be done with Barsetshire, but at least there’s more Trollope read by West in my future.

I’ve started the sixth Flashman book by George MacDonald Fraser, Flashman’s Lady read by Colin Mace. This is one of my favorite series of all time, right up there with Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey/Maturin books, so this is in the nature of a treat. I parcel these books out very slowly - I read the first of the series in the summer of 2016.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #3011
Tarana
Wizard

Since last posting, I finished Cleaning is Murder (Myrtle Clover) by Elizabeth Spann Craig and narrated by Judy Blue. She is doing an excellent job now narrating. This is the final audiobook in this series. I don't know if they are behind or if this is it because there are 3 ebooks out since 2019. Next is Plan for the Worst (latest Chronicles of St Mary's) by Jodi Taylor and narrated by Zara Ramm. She does such a wonderful job of narration - so much attitude. Finally, High Druid's Blade (Book 1 of 3 Defenders of Shannara) by Terry Brooks and narrated by Simon Vance. He struggled a bit the first few chapters, but sortof warmed to it then.

Just starting Book 2 of Defenders of Shannara called Darkling Child by Terry Brooks and narrated by Simon Vance.

Out of the shorts, Total Recall by Philip Dick and narrated by Phil Gigante was the only one outstanding. I'm happy to say that I don't have many short stories or novellas left that aren't part of a collection.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-27-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:03 PM   #3012
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Audiobook companion for My sister the serial killer
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:43 AM   #3013
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Now I'm on the last book of the third Elderling Realms series by Hobb, but I skipped Liveship Traders for now. I actually got somewhat far along in the next (I believe last) trilogy from the library before the hardening certainty that I had missed a trilogy or two, which spoiled a few things for me in terms of who will or will not die and how some relationships will go. Some people have remarked on how bleak they found this arc of the series, though, so maybe I did myself a favor. For some reason my library offered trilogies 1, 2 and 4, but not 3.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 02:30 AM   #3014
Tarana
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Now I'm on the last book of the third Elderling Realms series by Hobb, but I skipped Liveship Traders for now.
I have to use text-to-speech on this one. I have trouble understanding Ann Flosnik due to tinnitus. I have book one, but waiting to catch the other 2 on a sale. Have Tawny audiobooks though.
Old 11-27-2020, 02:53 AM   #3015
JustCoffee
JustCoffee began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm currently listening to "What every BODY is Saying" by Joe Navarro, a former FBI Special Agent and body language specialist. It's interesting.
JustCoffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations