Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #76
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2 (2021), Aura H2O (2014), Story HD (2011)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelocotonto View Post
Could we change the size of the rootfs in the future, if necessary?
Yes, it's possible and should work fine as long as the partition numbering remains the same and the reserved bootloader+kernel area is untouched. That's where the hard coded offsets are, everything else depends on the partition table. Even so it's a risky modifcation that should not be done without sdcard access and a good backup of the original state.

I don't have a Sage so no idea if it's partitioned any differently.

Updating firmware works even if the filesystem is near full, provided the files unpacked replace existing files (so a file is deleted, its space freed, then overwritten with its new version - effectively the required storage space is not increased throughout the updating process).

It's adding new files (installing mods) where issues can appear if the mod author did not optimize for low storage space. You can write a program in Go but if it has a 5MB binary it should be put on the user partition, not in the rootfs as it could be already full. You can add a symlink in the rootfs or a small wrapper script if required, then make sure it's not blocking the partition so USB connection still work (all user partition data vanishes while USB is connected, "eject safely" has to be observed on both ends).
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:47 AM   #77
Deobulakenyo
Addict
Deobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it isDeobulakenyo knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Yes, it's possible and should work fine as long as the partition numbering remains the same and the reserved bootloader+kernel area is untouched. That's where the hard coded offsets are, everything else depends on the partition table. Even so it's a risky modifcation that should not be done without sdcard access and a good backup of the original state.

Updating firmware works even if the filesystem is near full, provided the files unpacked replace existing files (so a file is deleted, its space freed, then overwritten with its new version - effectively the required storage space is not increased throughout the updating process).

It's adding new files (installing mods) where issues can appear if the mod author did not optimize for low storage space. You can write a program in Go but if it has a 5MB binary it should be put on the user partition, not in the rootfs as it could be already full. You can add a symlink in the rootfs or a small wrapper script if required, then make sure it's not blocking the partition so USB connection still work (all user partition data vanishes while USB is connected, "eject safely" has to be observed on both ends).
Are patches adding mod files or just replacing configurations? I have to say sorry again as i am not a ptogrammer and all these techy talk is Chinese to me 😁 but i want to understand as much as my brain would allow me
Deobulakenyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 12:24 PM   #78
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, iPad Pro, Tolino
Quote:
Code:
[root@kobo ~]# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p1          282.5M    225.9M     52.6M  81% /
none                    170.3M         0    170.3M   0% /tmp
none                    170.3M     16.0K    170.2M   0% /dev
none                     16.0K      4.0K     12.0K  25% /var/lib
none                     16.0K         0     16.0K   0% /var/log
none                    128.0K     24.0K    104.0K  19% /var/run
/dev/mmcblk0p3           28.4G    819.5M     27.6G   3% /mnt/onboard
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:36 PM   #79
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I did this a couple of years ago when I replaced a 16 GB microSD card in my GloHD with an even bigger 64 GB one. After cloning, I increased both rootfs and recoveryfs to 1 GB each (you never know...) - and the user partition to 40 GB. I did this under linux so I didn't notice at first that the user partition was no longer active. Everything worked fine until I connected the Kobo to a Windows computer that just wouldn't mount the user partition. I just initiated a factory reset (at that time and firmware version it was still a "full" factory reset) because I also wanted to check if this would still work okay after resizing rootfs and recoveryfs. It did and this also set the user partition to active again, my Kobo was recognized again by Windows. So far, I haven't noticed any problems with the larger rootfs and recoveryfs.

Of course, such experiments are always less "dangerous" if you know that you can just put in your old microSD card if something goes horribly wrong...

Last edited by taos; 10-27-2021 at 07:08 PM.
taos is offline   Reply With Quote