Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
netrobot
Edge User

How to use the "off-margin" space on home screen

This may be documented but I haven't found it, and there may be an easier way, but I thought I'd throw it out there:

On the Home screen, there are two dots (PE) at the lower-left and lower-right. If you tap them, the screen pans left or right revealing open space. I decided to organize my Home screen icons using that space.

I tried several things, but here is what worked:
Tap the dots to display the screen space you wish to use. (you can also swipe in an open area in the direction you want to slide)
Tap the 'X' icon to show the applications screen.
Touch and hold on the app you wish to display in that Home screen space and drag it to the edge.
The icon will now be on the Home screen. This is not different from the usual way you do this, but what I find interesting is that, if you chose an app that was already on the Home screen, it's now there twice, in different views. If you only want an icon in one view, touch and hold on the unwanted one and drag to the trash.

What's interesting is that there is apparently no way to drag an icon directly to the left or right onto an adjacent view.
Another thing I've noticed is that, Icons remain on the Home screen even AFTER the application has been Uninstalled.

Last edited by netrobot; 05-19-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Filark
Edge User

I was just playing around with this yesterday myself! I did not know you could tap the dots, thought they were just there like page numbers.

I succeeded (some of the time) in dragging an icon from one screen to the next by pushing it to the edge of the screen.

My big discovery (Ermine) is that if you hold the stylus over the X you get a popup view of all your desktops, much like you get in Windows 7 now. The popups stay until you tap. Nifty!

Advert
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
netrobot
Edge User

Hey! That's nice. On the one hand, it's fun to discover things. On the other hand, it's irritating that we HAVE to discover them.

The fundamental principle of Unix (and now Linux) remains: "If it was hard to write, it should be HARD TO USE"

Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
Filark
Edge User

ROFL @ netrobot!