Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #1
celpas
celpas began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2017
Is the slight yellow gradient on Kindle Oasis normal?

I just bought an Oasis 2017 and when I increase the brightness above 18 there is a slight dimming/gradient at the left of the screen away from the buttons. It’s especially noticeable if I rotate the device upside down when the tint shifts to the right of the screen away from the buttons. I came from a Kindle Paperwhite 2012 which had dark cones at the bottom so is this gradient normal?
celpas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:03 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I do not notice it on my Oasis. If you read at a light level that high it will zap your battery life
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by celpas View Post
I just bought an Oasis 2017 and when I increase the brightness above 18 there is a slight dimming/gradient at the left of the screen away from the buttons. It’s especially noticeable if I rotate the device upside down when the tint shifts to the right of the screen away from the buttons. I came from a Kindle Paperwhite 2012 which had dark cones at the bottom so is this gradient normal?
It's entirely normal and can be seen on most of the Oases. Not all people notice it, however. And it depends on the light level also. I certainly see it on mine (light at the level 9-10 usually) in a dim room, not so much in daylight.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Even when I read a paperback, the room lighting leaves one part of the page slightly dimmer than the other side. Specially in towards the binding. Strange how we never notice *that*!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Even when I read a paperback, the room lighting leaves one part of the page slightly dimmer than the other side. Specially in towards the binding. Strange how we never notice *that*!
This is clearly intolerable and the makers of electric lights should be ashamed of themselves. It's never like that in the sun! (Except when cloudy.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I think the question should not be "Is it normal?", rather, "Is it acceptable?" on a device that costs this much. I would be much more willing to accept this on a PW that is 1/2 the cost of an Oasis. You've heard the saying "You get what you pay for". That's usually said to denigrate a cheaper piece of equipment. But it should apply to the higher cost premium stuff too. You should get what you pay for.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote