Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #16
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The problem is that the original meaning of ``cult'' 1) a religious system of belief. has been subsumed by the pejorative definition of 2) a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox or extremist. You may mean 1, but most people will perceive 2, which is to be blunt, offensive when describing another person's belief system which is honestly believed in, orthodox, and not extreme.
In recent news, the residents of the YFZ (Yearning For Zion) Ranch were characterized as belonging to a "polygamous cult". And, many people when they hear the word "cult" will envisage a relatively small religious community with a charismatic (bordering on dictatorial) leader.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I was under the impression that orthodox Amish were not to be connected to outside influences. That means airwaves, phonelines, electric wires out of their communities and vehicles that can lead out.
I've seen pictures of woodshop equipment and I can say they are not opposed to high technology, unless it is connected to the "outerworld". They had all machinery running on hydraulic power with all oil lines running to a diesel compressor. They also had some power tools running on compressed air and lighting on a generator. Now, some farms run on solar power. Very impressive.
What intrigues me is the fact that since airwave mediae are banned, how can they use cellphones, and that includes the kindle. This girl, unless she used forbiden papers or godforsaken internet, knew about a pretty obscure device(socially).

To find such information without knowing exactly where to look takes quite a bit of research. By this I mean finding that there are electronic devices that can help one read books. This is still a concept that is not popularly known, I still get that bewildered look once in a while. "What...a device to read books electronically?"
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #18
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I am wary of any "cult", "sect", "society" or "fraternity" that imposes rules and regulations on me. I can accept people who believe in them, but for me, anything that forces me to do something, I try to avoid.
While I was born and raised a roman catholic, I decided to "drop out" because I no longer agree with the way of "my" church. This does not necessarily mean that I am an atheist, I just do not like the way religion rules our world.
I see most of the world's problems are based on religion or religious differences (Israel, Afghanistan, 911, Iraq, Bosnia, Vietman, etc.) so I try to extract the "etiquette" that religion preaches to it's followers (no killing, no stealing, do unto others etc), be a good human being and do whatever else I want.

So I generally have a problem with "extremists", even if they are jolly people who just grow crop and ride on their horses. I find I have nothing in common with them, except for the "be good" part. I find it not "natural" to resist the "natural" progression in technology and science, so being forced to stay away from TVs or Radios or Kindles or eBooks is an unnatural ... blockade. Just like forcinge women to wear burkas, forcing babies to have their foreskin cut off, forcing people to not eat pork, and so on.

Then again, I never was one to be in a sports club, a fraternity or other gathering of like-minded people, I usually ignored IRC gettogethers and would never go to a forum-user-meeting. Call me an hermit (heremit?), but I believe that if you depend on other people or fantasy beings, you are not independant and easily manipulated.

Now this has nothing to do with the original post. I just felt the urge to share this, since this thread started to focus on the Amish.
Let me just say again, that I respect the beliefs of anyone, and anyone can do whatever they want as long as they do not hurt me doing it. I just can't understand it all.

Last edited by mores; 06-11-2008 at 01:49 PM.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #19
TheJohnNewton
Addict
TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.TheJohnNewton is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Boox Nova 2
If there is a sect that rules out aPple products I may have to look into joining. Ducks, covers, and runs...
TheJohnNewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:24 PM   #20
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
you talkin' to me? Huh?
Are you ... talking to me?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #21
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Use either definition of "cult," it comes down to the same thing when referring to organised religion.

Personally, any organisation that gets a federal exemption from compulsory education makes me very nervous. Google Wisconsin v. Yoder, 406 U.S. 205 (1972) if you are curious.

A person's religious beliefs demand no more respect from me than their personal belief that they look good in a bikini or speedo. Delusion is delusion, and as such, will receive no deference from me.

Surmise that the waitress heard some folks talking, or maybe a youth experimenting with Rumspringa checked it up on the intertubes.

Point of Clarification:
Am not trying to harp on the Anabaptist Church. I truly dislike all of them.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:59 AM   #22
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Your choosing to not consider and respect others beliefs reflects more on your lack of character than anything else.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:24 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
The problem is that the original meaning of ``cult'' 1) a religious system of belief. has been subsumed by the pejorative definition of 2) a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox or extremist. You may mean 1, but most people will perceive 2, which is to be blunt, offensive when describing another person's belief system which is honestly believed in, orthodox, and not extreme.

William
Believe it or not, I've actually been criticised for using the word "niggardly", by someone who entirely incorrectly assumed that it had some connection with a derogatory term for a black person.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:19 AM   #24
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@ Will:

What I lack is patience for people who think their own opinions are inviolable. Indeed, lack the character to withstand hypocrisy.

Not that I intend this thread to devolve into a theological debate, but I really do not feel that a person or group is absolved of responsibility for their actions because of their belief system. If people had to cop to their own activities (terrorism, physical and mental abuse, violence) rather than hiding behind some centuries old ethos, the world might not be a better place, but it would certainly be a more honest place.

If you believe the earth is flat, I would love to see your evidence; otherwise, you're a nutter.
If you believe it is OK to enslave people because a very old book tells you too, I need more evidence; otherwise you're a jerk.

See very little reason to privilege either with respect or understanding. Of course, that is my opinion. It means just as much--or little--as yours.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #25
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
@ Will:

What I lack is patience for people who think their own opinions are inviolable. Indeed, lack the character to withstand hypocrisy.

Not that I intend this thread to devolve into a theological debate, but I really do not feel that a person or group is absolved of responsibility for their actions because of their belief system. If people had to cop to their own activities (terrorism, physical and mental abuse, violence) rather than hiding behind some centuries old ethos, the world might not be a better place, but it would certainly be a more honest place.

If you believe the earth is flat, I would love to see your evidence; otherwise, you're a nutter.
If you believe it is OK to enslave people because a very old book tells you too, I need more evidence; otherwise you're a jerk.

See very little reason to privilege either with respect or understanding. Of course, that is my opinion. It means just as much--or little--as yours.
As is the case for all free people, you can believe anything you wish. However, all the beliefs you seem to espouse, can be summed up in one word: intolerance.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #26
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Folks, we haven't gone there yet, but this thread is headed in an unpleasant direction. I'd like to suggest that we drop the subject of religion and stick with discussing the Kindle, its market pervasiveness, or, if you absolutely must fight about something, the alleged evils of DRM.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote