Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:42 PM   #331
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Hmm, interesting rule. Will need to consider this rule for 2018. Don't realistically believe that I can hit the goal lines this year, will try to do better next year.
It's kinda where I'm stuck at. I suspected as much before I did the reading challenge this year. Now I can see it's true to my reading habits, no matter what month, I'll still only average 4 books a month. Some may be long others novellas, still the same amount of books read per month. Nonfiction was my challenge to myself, and I know I've read far more than before. So I've improved there at least. I didn't make my reading goals too challenging. I know myself all too well.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #332
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
Now I can see it's true to my reading habits, no matter what month, I'll still only average 4 books a month.
I don't know how anyone regularly reads four books a month, let alone the staggering amount more that I tend to see on here! I guess I have too many other things taking my attention away!

I didn't get any books completed in the last few months, but if I average out my reading for the year, I blew past my book a month goal...so I'm going with that.

-HM
Advert
Old 11-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #333
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
I don't know how anyone regularly reads four books a month, let alone the staggering amount more that I tend to see on here! I guess I have too many other things taking my attention away!

I didn't get any books completed in the last few months, but if I average out my reading for the year, I blew past my book a month goal...so I'm going with that.

-HM
I know I've seen the staggering amount of books read in this thread too, Wow !

I also do an averaging of books read, my system is I read two different books on different devices. They are also in different genres so I don't mix them up in my head. I never know which one will be completed first, and then added monthly.

I'm glad you exceeded you goals this year too !

Last edited by Wearever; 11-29-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #334
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I finished my 100th book today. I'm 400 pages ahead of my average page count, I expect December to be a busy month with less reading time than normal. I'm hoping I come out around average this year.

I've just started the latest full novel of Peter Grant/Rivers of London series, after that I'll read the short story. Then I only have 4 active series on my list, I can't remember when I had so little! I think that in December I'm going to see if I can find one or two new series to add to the list, hopefully I can get my "potential series" list down by a few.
Old 12-02-2017, 11:15 AM   #335
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
A few days late, but...

I am pleased with my reading thus far. 108 Books. 54 short stories. I am most pleased with hitting my "read more non-US authors" challenge. At the year, I am at 49% American authors and 51% non-American. I want to get it even lower next year! I might try to incorporate reading more female or non-binary authors as a challenge as well.

Geeky charts attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pages Per Month.PNG
Views:	211
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	160337   Click image for larger version

Name:	Country Breakdown.PNG
Views:	205
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	160338   Click image for larger version

Name:	Genre Breakdown.PNG
Views:	206
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	160339  
Advert
Old 12-02-2017, 12:06 PM   #336
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
A few days late, but...

I am pleased with my reading thus far. 108 Books. 54 short stories. I am most pleased with hitting my "read more non-US authors" challenge.
I was struck by this comment and your chart, so I took a quick count of the books I read this year and it was as I suspected; over half the authors were British. US authors were a distant second.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #337
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
I want to get it even lower next year! I might try to incorporate reading more female or non-binary authors as a challenge as well.
Speaking of next year, does anyone know when the new threads will be posted? It's time to plan!
Old 12-05-2017, 01:12 AM   #338
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Speaking of next year, does anyone know when the new threads will be posted? It's time to plan!
A good point. I'll see what can be done.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:24 AM   #339
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Most of my reading was for school and work this year instead of pleasure. It will probably be the same for the next few years until I've earned my degree.

Still, I look forward to 2018, as I plan to dedicate what reading time I have to series. Any standalone novels or short stories will most likely be pallet cleansers between the series.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #340
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The 2018 list thread is now available. Reserve your spot now!

The 2018 discussion thread is also available if you want to discuss in what's left of 2017 what your 2018 challenge will be.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #341
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I finished reading 7 books in November and I've reached a total of 75 for the year. Still falling behind my target of 100 by 25 books. As expected, I will fail to attain this by year end. TBR has eventually come down to 896. I don't hope to read more than 4 books in December due to otherwise preoccupied schedule.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #342
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The 2018 list thread is now available. Reserve your spot now!

The 2018 discussion thread is also available if you want to discuss in what's left of 2017 what your 2018 challenge will be.
Thanks! Reserved my place!
Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 AM   #343
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The change in my commuting has really cut into my reading time!
[...]
If I take ten off by the end of the year, I'll be doing well.
Only 11 books read in November. I think I must investigate good text to speech software for my phone. Not being able to read during my commute is disastrous!

As of now, my TBR is 4 book UP on the start of the year. If I can get any reduction at all my the end of the year I'll be pleased.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #344
drjd
The Couch Potato

Where has the 2017 List Thread gone? I guess 2017 is not over yet! I need to update it.

Edit: Never mind. Searched it and found.

Last edited by drjd; 12-05-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 AM   #345
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Now re-stuck until the end of January 2018.
Closed Thread