Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
shrimphead
shrimphead began at the beginning.

Device: Plastic Logic
Pixel QI screen demo in Texas (May 31-June 5)

According to the Pixel QI blog:

Quote:
I’m typing this note on one of the first screens out of the fab, with the backlight turned off, retrofit into an Acer AspireOne netbook, in a poorly lit hotel room in Asia with a crisp high resolution epaper experience. We will be showing off the new screen in private next week: both at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan (June 2-6) and SID Display Week in San Antonio, Texas (May 31-June 5).
Perma-link

Mary Lou Jepsen really nailed it when she said (I'm paraphrasing here) -> the whole eInk reader think is not really about the eInk readers at all. It's really an extension of the processor wars (where everyone's gizmo tried to outdo the next on processor speed etc). Now we are on the screen wars: who's is the most efficient? Which lasts longer? Which has the best response time? Which is the easiest to read? etc...
shrimphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I wonder what it would take to get credentials for the San Antonio show?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2009, 02:41 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I might be able to get you in.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #4
eal
eal began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
from what is written

"We will be showing off the new screen in private next week: both at Computex in Taipei, Taiwan (June 2-6) and SID Display Week in San Antonio, Texas (May 31-June 5)."

I would bet the displays will be shown in private to select potential customers and won't be available for general viewing
eal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
Well atleast we finally have some news to talk about. Hopefully someone they show it to will be impressed enough to use it an product though i hope we get it some tablet like device and not just in netbooks.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
DG25
Enthusiast
DG25 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Web tablet and e-reader = WIN
DG25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
any chance apple could use this screen in it's rumored tablet deivce?

Though i would like to see what sort of quality this screen can produce when displaying video as that would be an important part for apple.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
shrimphead

Quote:
any chance it will be a touch screen?
I've not got any references but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Pixel Qi 3Qi will not have a touch screen any time soon. Which to me is a great disappointment. But from her talk with the O'Reilly Radar she is working on it.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #9
shrimphead

Here is Mary Lou Jepsen's "Low-Cost, Low-Power Computing" from the O'Reilly ETECH 09 Talk. She talks about the ideas behind the screen.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:28 PM   #10
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I don't need products--get me an OEM screen to swap into my netbook around the $100 mark
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #11
shrimphead

Latest pics of the Pixel Qi screen in colour and ePaper mode:

Quote:
By popular demand here is the first picture of our new screen. In the above picture, two 3qi screens are shown side-by-side: one of our screens is in full color saturation with its backlight on, the other of our screens is shown in its epaper mode with backlight off. These screens will be available this fall in netbooks and ebook readers. Size: 10.1″ diagonal.
Mary Lou

PS: I’ve had many requests for a peak at the 3qi screen outdoors: I took the snapshot below yesterday, on my iphone (sorry, it’s just not a great camera) outside in the hot tropical sun. The laptop is on top of a shrub. Apologies for the glare from the metal bezel of the screen; this will of course be covered up in a real product. Nonetheless, we think its a stunning screen.
via Pixel Qi

Tags
eink, pixel qi, screen