Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-08-2024, 08:31 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rid View Post
I am probably more anal than you, and it annoys the sh!) out of me after a while! Pun intended...
Oh, I'm pretty anal also. It's just that all my devices are heavily customized and to factory reset them would be a huge bother. I've never felt any need for it. I've only had slowing down issues with a couple of very cheap laptops and ereaders many years ago; since then I no longer buy cheap laptops or phones, and the midrange/high end ones have had no issues even after several years of use (except the battery problems with some Dell models. Dell is pretty notorious for its poor batteries). My ereaders have not gotten slow either, even with thousands of books on them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:30 PM   #17
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura HD (R.I.P.) :(
Hahaha I am pretty much the same. But I hate that you replied, because I now have to admit a mistake. Just got a new cheap phone because that was all I wanted and needed. But it has so many small issues, slow, network cuts out some times etc. that I should have spent more.

My current laptop (10yr old) was good spec i7 etc. almost more than I still need today (no video editing etc), but because M$ and others need to make insane profits I have to upgrade the hardware to suit W11!!!!
Rid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2024, 09:43 PM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Hahaha I am pretty much the same. But I hate that you replied, because I now have to admit a mistake. Just got a new cheap phone because that was all I wanted and needed. But it has so many small issues, slow, network cuts out some times etc. that I should have spent more.

My current laptop (10yr old) was good spec i7 etc. almost more than I still need today (no video editing etc), but because M$ and others need to make insane profits I have to upgrade the hardware to suit W11!!!!
Who knows how long this will be the case, but at least for now, the 'Unsupported' status if Windows 11 is very soft, and you *can* install Windows 11 on your laptop and it works just fine. (But a 10 yr old laptop should be on it's last leg anyhow.)

Not to mention, insert obligatory pithy "Just install Linux".
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 09:51 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Not to mention, insert obligatory pithy "Just install Linux".
Linux doesn't have some programs I regularly use. Not to mention that Linux is not a good option for people with no IT background and no one to help them to resolve their computer issues. With Windows, I can google and usually find a solution that can be understood and implemented by a lay person like myself; with Linux I get advice/suggestions I have not the faintest idea what to do with. I have no IT person among my friends and family - actually everyone I know is even more ignorant in such things than I am, and I'm pretty ignorant already. So Google is my only friend in case of computer troubles, and for this reason I need Windows, not Linux.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:58 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yeah. I don't actually need very high-end tech either, but the cheap options are usually just so bad I've given up on them, as I grew mightily annoyed with them after only a couple of years. OTOH all my mid/upper range devices have continued running well even after 5-6 years, with no issues other than battery in some cases.
Advert
Old 03-08-2024, 10:34 PM   #21
Rid
Groupie
Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Rid can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Who knows how long this will be the case, but at least for now, the 'Unsupported' status if Windows 11 is very soft, and you *can* install Windows 11 on your laptop and it works just fine. (But a 10 yr old laptop should be on it's last leg anyhow.)
Unfortunately this usually means some sort of USB or ancillary type of driver. Plus W11 is just a rip off of a MAC so I will probably get a MAC as they seem much more intuitive than windows. I think the days when a MAC was a lot quicker than Windows has passed now though. But they seem more reliable.

I cant do Linux, I am too lazy...
Old 03-08-2024, 10:35 PM   #22
Rid
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yeah. I don't actually need very high-end tech either, but the cheap options are usually just so bad I've given up on them, as I grew mightily annoyed with them after only a couple of years. OTOH all my mid/upper range devices have continued running well even after 5-6 years, with no issues other than battery in some cases.
Yeah I think my last expensive phone on a contract was 6yr.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:52 PM   #23
Rid
Groupie

Quote:
(But a 10 yr old laptop should be on it's last leg anyhow.)
In todays world of mass consumerism this is how big corporations want you think. It is an infinite economy that they control.

Remember when LED light bulbs first came out and they touted it would last a lifetime but they cost $14 each? I still have those light bulbs, but the new bulbs cost are a lot cheaper but they have a use by date. A lot less than the older LED bulbs (maybe 15yr) I have replaced a few "new" bulbs that have not lasted a year.

Last edited by Rid; 03-08-2024 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 04:42 PM   #24
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I've never done a factory reset to any of my electronic devices (ereaders, laptops, tablets, phones...), ever. Unless I was going to sell them, of course.
I love saying phrases like that. Like "They are exactly the same, only different."
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 05:16 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I love saying phrases like that. Like "They are exactly the same, only different."
I meant doing a factory reset to improve speed or performance, like the poster I replied to. That I've never done. I've factory reset devices I was going to sell, to remove any personal data.
Old 03-09-2024, 06:29 PM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I meant doing a factory reset to improve speed or performance, like the poster I replied to. That I've never done. I've factory reset devices I was going to sell, to remove any personal data.
I think I knew what you meant, it is just that sort of phrasing that makes me laugh.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 07:34 PM   #27
mgrimace
Connoisseur
mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!mgrimace rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Libra 2
As an alternative implementation, I use Calibre-Web with kobo sync. Kobo sync replaces the Kobo’s in-built store with your own self-hosted library = all your books show up natively in ‘my books’ on the device, and you just tap the ones you want to download. I currently have my entire library browseable on my Kobo, but you can also just have it sync to a specific shelf (e.g., a ‘kobo’ shelf to only display a subset).

All of that to say, no more USB, no more copying books. My workflow is now:
- put book in ‘uploads’ folder for calibre
- calibre automatically monitors ‘uploads’ and copies book to library, automatically converts to .kepub
- calibre library is shared == calibre-web. Book automatically appears in calibre-web and on automatically on the device when it syncs.
mgrimace is offline   Reply With Quote