Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-27-2024, 10:40 AM   #1
troubledMan
Connoisseur
troubledMan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
Is it possible to use kindle's dictionaries as Kobo's? How?

Hi all,

The title says almost all. I'm user of some Kindles and the main reason I do not read in a Kobo is the (so and so) quality of its dictionaries. So I wander if it is doable to take a dictionary from a Kindle and make it as the dictionary of a Kobo.

Thank you in advance and forgive me if the question a) has been answered before, and b) is a silly one.
troubledMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 11:34 AM   #2
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Check here https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict

It’s not the Kindle dictionary, I think it’s better.

Installation : Copy the dictionnary inside the .kobo/custom-dict/ folder on your eBook reader.

Last edited by deleted2; 02-27-2024 at 11:37 AM.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 12:05 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by troubledMan View Post
The title says almost all. I'm user of some Kindles and the main reason I do not read in a Kobo is the (so and so) quality of its dictionaries. So I wander if it is doable to take a dictionary from a Kindle and make it as the dictionary of a Kobo.

Thank you in advance and forgive me if the question a) has been answered before, and b) is a silly one.
You don't say which language dictionary you're talking about but, last time I looked (in 2020), the current default Kobo Oxford English dictionary was already more up-to-date than the Kindle [Edition 3] equivalent.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 12:07 PM   #4
troubledMan
Connoisseur

I don’t know if those are better, but I would like to use the normative dictionary in Spanish, the dictionary of the Real Academia Española, that comes installed in the Kindle. Thank you, anyway.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:07 PM   #5
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
Check here https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-reader-dict

It’s not the Kindle dictionary, I think it’s better.

Installation : Copy the dictionnary inside the .kobo/custom-dict/ folder on your eBook reader.
I don’t know if those are better, but I would like to use the normative dictionary in Spanish, the dictionary of the Real Academia Española, that comes installed in the Kindle. Thank you, anyway.
Advert
Old 02-27-2024, 12:11 PM   #6
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
You don't say which language dictionary you're talking about but, last time I looked (in 2020), the current default Kobo Oxford English dictionary was already more up-to-date than the Kindle [Edition 3] equivalent.
Excuse me, you’re right. I’m talking about the Spanish dictionary. And the one for English. I’d like to know if is it posible to install kindle’s dictionaries into a Kobo.
Old 02-27-2024, 12:59 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Excuse me, you’re right. I’m talking about the Spanish dictionary. And the one for English. I’d like to know if is it posible to install kindle’s dictionaries into a Kobo.
The English dictionary Kobos use these days is the same as Kindles use - the Oxford dictionary.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:03 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No you can't install Kindle dictionaries on a Kobo.

It is technically feasible to convert from Kindle format to Kobo format, because I did it for the 2 Kindle English dictionaries a few years ago. However, I didn't find any general utility to do it as a "magic button" conversion. I needed plenty of time to understand both the Kindle/Kobo formats and some bespoke programming to get there.

Since then, @geek1011 has developed dictutil - utilities for creating Kobo format dictionaries more easily but I don't think anyone has ever added a utility to extract the Kindle format data (a special mobi format) into the required intermediate format which is then converted to Kobo format without needing to write bespoke programs.

The Kindle dictionaries were (are still?) DRM-protected, so step 1 is always to remove the DRM before you can start to extract the word/definition data.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:55 PM   #9
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
No you can't install Kindle dictionaries on a Kobo.

Thank you. I guess I'll just have to stay tied to Kindle & Amazon.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:01 PM   #10
LatinLover
LatinLover began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Thank you. I guess I'll just have to stay tied to Kindle & Amazon.
No need to stay with amazon, here is the RAE for kobo. Just copy-paste into custom dict folder
Pidan y se les dará; busquen y encontrarán; toquen y se les abrirá. Porque todo el que pide, recibe; el que busca, encuentra; y al que toca se le abre
Attached Files
File Type: zip dicthtml-drae-es.zip (7.30 MB, 112 views)
LatinLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 03:22 PM   #11
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:

Here, you have the Spanish dictionary https://github.com/BoboTiG/ebook-rea...s/es/README.md

It comes with all the etymology. Very complete. But if you absolutely want a particular dictionary, just stay with Kindle if you think it has a better one.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:08 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Since then, @geek1011 has developed dictutil - utilities for creating Kobo format dictionaries more easily but I don't think anyone has ever added a utility to extract the Kindle format data (a special mobi format) into the required intermediate format which is then converted to Kobo format without needing to write bespoke programs.
Not sure if it supports the kindle format, but there's also PyGlossary, which converts between most of the dictionary formats (including dictutil's internal one).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:45 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Not sure if it supports the kindle format, but there's also PyGlossary, ...
No, I don't think it does.
Old 02-27-2024, 10:06 PM   #14
troubledMan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinLover View Post
No need to stay with amazon, here is the RAE for kobo. Just copy-paste into custom dict folder
Pidan y se les dará; busquen y encontrarán; toquen y se les abrirá. Porque todo el que pide, recibe; el que busca, encuentra; y al que toca se le abre
Thank you very much!
Old 02-28-2024, 08:52 AM   #15
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Kobo's dictionaries used to be poor, but these days they use the Oxford dictionaries, just like the Kindle, and you can get them for many languages as well. If you click on a word in a foreign language book, the Kobo should download the relevant dictionary.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote