Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-24-2024, 08:58 AM   #31
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
They're nicely done, and I recognize the artistic talent, but I have a preference for simplicity so I actually prefer the ones with just the title and a simple image in the center on a solid background, like this:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...1000_QL80_.jpg

Last edited by twowheels; 02-24-2024 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Remove IMG tags, it's too big.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 06:22 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
They're nicely done, and I recognize the artistic talent, but I have a preference for simplicity so I actually prefer the ones with just the title and a simple image in the center on a solid background, like this:

To me, I don't like that cover.

How about this cover?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Small-Gods.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	651.2 KB
ID:	206614
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2024, 02:17 PM   #33
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I like that far better than the original link, which had far too much going on in the images, but still like the simplicity (and series level consistency) of the cover that I linked.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:50 PM   #34
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:

These are the best covers by far.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 06:58 AM   #35
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I like that far better than the original link, which had far too much going on in the images, but still like the simplicity (and series level consistency) of the cover that I linked.
The point of the Kirby art is the complexity. You can easily create your own simple covers with the Cover Creator plug-in on Calibre.

I have them all on paper. Some are later editions with the author and title simply on the top and bottom of the artwork. Most are the original UK covers with author and title in a box near the top on top of the wrap full bleed artwork.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2024, 11:36 AM   #36
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The point of the Kirby art is the complexity. You can easily create your own simple covers with the Cover Creator plug-in on Calibre.
Sure, and I acknowledged the talent that went into creating them, but there's this funny thing about preferences -- they vary from person to person. The cover creator output is far too simplistic for my liking as there's no visual cue, you might as well turn off cover view and just use a list view in that case -- the covers I linked have what I personally consider to be the ideal balance between simplicity and quick identifiability due to their distinct consistency -- the Kirby covers are thematically indistinguishable from other fantasy novel covers in my mind.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:37 PM   #37
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
The cover creator output is far too simplistic for my liking as there's no visual cue
Are you confusing the Cover Generator in the Metadata Editor and the Cover Creator Plug-in, which lets you add an image, change fonts, sizes, padding, order, etc?

Then there is The GIMP for people not wanting to subscribe to Adobe for Photoshop. Each element on a different layer and you can create a commercial quality cover. Export flattened copy as PNG or JPG.

Inkscape for vector based artworks.

As you say, personal preference, and it's easy to change on ebooks vs paper library.

I think all my Terry Pratchet is on paper, about two and a half book shelves. Most bought in the 1990s rather than original releases.

Mostly I pick the original publication versions of covers for ebooks and cobble something if there is nothing.

But I've also made covers for decades for original works. Easier now. I remember a ray traced 3D castle dining hall took over a day (30+ hours?) and was poor, so I went and took a photo inside a castle (35mm film and then lab Photo CD). Loads of castles here.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:04 AM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Sure, and I acknowledged the talent that went into creating them, but there's this funny thing about preferences -- they vary from person to person. The cover creator output is far too simplistic for my liking as there's no visual cue, you might as well turn off cover view and just use a list view in that case -- the covers I linked have what I personally consider to be the ideal balance between simplicity and quick identifiability due to their distinct consistency -- the Kirby covers are thematically indistinguishable from other fantasy novel covers in my mind.
I find the Kirby covers to be rather unique. A lot of covers are sometimes too simple with not enough going on. Some are mostly words. The Kirby covers have to do with the actual book. They are funny and well drawn.

Can you please give an example of similar covers?

Some of the worst covers are for the Dresden Files series as they are quite wrong. The hat is wrong as there is no hat and the duster is wrong as it's leather and not some kind of cloth.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote