Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #76
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, (1) this book is fiction, and (2) I don't want to give anything away, even with spoiler tags.

I'll just say that the author skillfully created a plausible story and did not do violence to historical facts.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #77
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I would have been interested to read Compulsion, but unfortunately is is expensive, and neither of my libraries has a copy.

I assume that the Hitchcock film Rope was based on the same case.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2019, 05:14 PM   #78
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
I would have been interested to read Compulsion, but unfortunately is is expensive, and neither of my libraries has a copy.

I assume that the Hitchcock film Rope was based on the same case.
Yes, it was, but pretty loosely, and Rope deals only with the murder, not the trial. There's a film version of Compulsion that I remember as being quite good--Bradford Dillman and Dean Stockwell play the murderers and Orson Welles plays the lawyer.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #79
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, the name was familiar, but I hadn't linked it to that film, which is one I have never seen. Thanks for that.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #80
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Thanks so much for nominating H Is For Hawk. It inspired a whole train of reading for me; I thought it was one of the best books I read that year.

I love this quote below.

Quote:
That's what I love about reading: one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you to another book, and another bit there will lead you onto a third book. It's geometrically progressive - all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.
― Mary Ann Shaffer, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2019, 11:51 AM   #81
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Anyway, I'm glad the title was raised. I've had it on my TBR for several years now since reading H Is For Hawk and The Goshawk. I'm hoping to get to it this summer.
The Sword in the Stone as a separate book is somewhat different from the version in The Once and Future King. It has several episodes cut and replaced by scenes from The Book of Merlyn, which was never published in White's lifetime.

The Once and Future King version does not have Wart's encounters with Madame Mim or the giant Galapas.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #82
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I've heard that it has a very chequered publishing history (appropriate for a retelling theme ). I'm planning on reading it in the 1958 collected version as book 1 of The Once And Future King.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #83
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I love this quote below.
Yes, that's the most wonderful thing about books; the endless possibilities on offer. You never know where the next book will lead you.

I love the ending of Silverlock where Shandon doesn't take the third drink from Hippocrene because he wants to keep wandering in the Commonwealth - perfectly understandable.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #84
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Well, crud, no Kindle version available in the US. That stinks. Why does this seem to happen every month?

I'll be back...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post

I was going to nominate The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart which, of the ones I have read, is my favorite of the Arthur (or specifically Merlin) retellings.
[/B].
Hi Dazrin - I just wanted to pass that Mary Stewart’s The Crystal Cave is back in the US kindle store. I double checked, because I remembered buying Arthur saga as a single volume a number of years ago. However, it was subsequently removed from the store.

A new publisher has now brought them out again, as single volumes, along with several of her mysteries. They’re also on for a good price right now.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #85
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
Hi Dazrin - I just wanted to pass that Mary Stewart’s The Crystal Cave is back in the US kindle store. I double checked, because I remembered buying Arthur saga as a single volume a number of years ago. However, it was subsequently removed from the store.

A new publisher has now brought them out again, as single volumes, along with several of her mysteries. They’re also on for a good price right now.
Do you have a link? I only see the audiobook at Amazon US: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=the+cryst...ref=nb_sb_noss
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:45 PM   #86
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know - it’s hard to find. I erased my first message, because after posting, I couldn’t find it in the regular list under her name in the kindle store - I had to search for it. I hope this works: https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Cave-...W2CF4Z7TQSYJ4V
Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #87
Victoria
Wizard

Book 2: https://www.amazon.com/Hollow-Hills-...FSNRDQTA82R22Q

Book 3: https://www.amazon.com/Last-Enchantm...FSNRDQTA82R22Q

Book 4: https://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Day-Ar...FSNRDQTA82R22Q
Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #88
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I know - it’s hard to find. I erased my first message, because after posting, I couldn’t find it in the regular list under her name in the kindle store - I had to search for it. I hope this works: https://www.amazon.com/Crystal-Cave-...W2CF4Z7TQSYJ4V
It will let you buy that in the US? I see the listing but it returns "This title is not currently available for purchase" for all four titles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	169
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	170200  
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 04:07 PM   #89
Victoria
Wizard

Gosh - I’m sorry about that! I just bought the first book to test it, and it worked fine. However, I’m a Canadian but have my kindle account with the US amazon (it predates ebooks being sold via Canadian Amazon). So maybe there is a geographic limitation with the book....I occasionally run into that in reverse. Darn!
Old 03-12-2019, 05:02 PM   #90
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

If you have an Australian account with Kobo you can get the four books in one volume under the title of Legacy for $A8.85. Pretty odd when the individual books are $A12.99! I don’t know about Amazon as I don’t deal with them.