Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
jnousis
jnousis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
New Sony PRS-505 Reader user!

Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself to the community. I have been reading the forums for some days and finally decided to sign up since I ordered a Sony PRS-505 Reader from ebay today. Hopefully I will have it next week.

I was between irex and sony. I will be reading pdf ebooks mainly and the size of the screen was something that I had many concerns about. However I saw that with the recent update you can increase the font size so I would prefer a smaller device. Ideally I would love to be able to synchronize my rss feeds as well but anyway I believe sony will cover almost all my requirements.

I also saw that many people compare these devices with mobile phones like iphone or treo. What I wanted to mention for that case is that e-ink technology should not be compared to any backlit/tft/lcd technology. If you are on a PC all day and then you need to take a break to read a book, your eyes won't relax if there is a backlit. I saw many people referring to ebook readers as "book replacements" and that's the whole meaning. I do have an iphone and I can hardly read more than 1 hour without getting my eyes tired not to mention the small screen size. On the other hand I can easily read a book for 2,3 or 4 hours.

As a conclusion I would like to thank you all here for supplying such useful information and advice.

-John
jnousis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #2
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Welcome to the forums -- I don't think you'll be disappointed in the 505, but that depends on the sort of PDFs you plan on reading.

I've had my 500 for well over a year and I've loved reading on it practically every day (except for those books I wanted to read whose publishers are too shortsighted to have released their books in Sony format!) with no eye-strain or fatigue.

I came to the Sony from reading a lot of books on my Palm Tungsten T5 and the lack of backlight on the Sony is such a welcome relief!

Enjoy!
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hi John,
Welcome to MobiRead.
Great site, great people on this forum. Peoples questions and contributions are always welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnousis View Post
Ideally I would love to be able to synchronize my rss feeds as well but anyway I believe sony will cover almost all my requirements.
There are two technologies that really help sync rss, three really but SONY's software is alwasy so terrible.

First you can use Calibre. Though this is not automatic, but with one click of a button you can download and copy it to your device.

The next option is FeedBooks. On their FeedBooks news page you can resister to receive ANY RSS feed, they have canned solutions, and you can also add your own. It will download a format of your choice PDF/ePub.
To Auto-Sync your RSS feeds download their executable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnousis View Post
I also saw that many people compare these devices with mobile phones like iphone or treo. What I wanted to mention for that case is that e-ink technology should not be compared to any backlit/tft/lcd technology. If you are on a PC all day and then you need to take a break to read a book, your eyes won't relax if there is a backlit. I saw many people referring to ebook readers as "book replacements" and that's the whole meaning. I do have an iphone and I can hardly read more than 1 hour without getting my eyes tired not to mention the small screen size. On the other hand I can easily read a book for 2,3 or 4 hours.
Are you basing this comment on medical reasons or just personal preference?

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi John and welcome to the Forum. I used an iPaq for years and found the eInk equipped Sony much more comfortable. Hope you like it too.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Congrats! I hope you enjoy your Reader.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #6
jnousis
jnousis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 Reader
Thank you all for your replies.

@=X=: The links are perfect! I signed up with feedbook and also using calibre which is simply great! The e-ink and screen comparison is based totally in my experience, not on any medical resources. From what I can see many people here have the same experience.

-John
jnousis is offline   Reply With Quote