Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #76
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
So far, I've had only two problems, not counting the 200MB ebook size limit using PC Upload:

1. Very frequently I have to tap two or even three times to make the page turn. This happened under iOS 9.3.5 and continues under iOS 10.0.2.

2. I was reading a book, turned the page and MR only displayed part of the text on the new page, then did the same when I opened a different book. iBooks displayed the pages without a problem. After some troubleshooting, I determined that closing MR for several minutes fixed the problem; just closing and relaunching did not.

Oh, I got around the upload limit by using iTunes File Sharing.

Last edited by romad; 10-02-2016 at 04:11 PM.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:01 AM   #77
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
1. Very frequently I have to tap two or even three times to make the page turn. This happened under iOS 9.3.5 and continues under iOS 10.0.2.

2. I was reading a book, turned the page and MR only displayed part of the text on the new page, then did the same when I opened a different book. iBooks displayed the pages without a problem. After some troubleshooting, I determined that closing MR for several minutes fixed the problem; just closing and relaunching did not.
Interesting. But it works for me--I haven't observed these problems on MapleRead. On contrary, I have seen much more serious problems with iBooks under iOS 10. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 AM   #78
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Interesting. But it works for me--I haven't observed these problems on MapleRead. On contrary, I have seen much more serious problems with iBooks under iOS 10. See https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I started searching for an iBooks replacement when iOS 9.3 blocked adding NON-Apple sourced epubs via Syncing with iTunes. I could still add PDFs but only ePubs downloaded from either their Support/Manuals page or iBooks could be added. Of course the cumbersome add-via-email path still worked, but it is really designed for infrequent use. The problem was never addressed by Apple in subsequent iOS releases nor was it apparently addressed in iOS 10.

MapleRead has iBooks beat hands down for ePubs; I haven't tried PDFs yet but if they work as well as ePubs, then I'll delete iBooks from my iDevices. The first problem (double-tap) is minor, and I figured out how to fix the second problem when it happens so I consider them more annoyances than major problems now.

Last edited by romad; 10-03-2016 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #79
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

I'd like to get clarification regarding PDFs.

Am I correct in understanding that PDFs can only be read in MR SE? I have several PDFs in iBooks on my iPhone; I'd like to get MR CX but if it can't handle PDFs...
Old 10-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #80
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
As stated clearly on their website, you need MapleRead SE to read PDF.

You can try MapleRead CX for free. I don't think it will let you import PDF in the first place (e.g. via PC Upload). For me, it's kind of hard / inconvenient to read most PDF on any iPhone anyway. Reading EPUB on iPhone is fine, as the text can reflow with any font size I choose.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2016, 07:24 PM   #81
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

The PDFs I have in iBooks on my iPhone are user guides & instruction manuals specific for the iPhone, my cars, and some applications. I even have restaurant's menu on it! I'm trying to eliminate the need for the iBooks app altogether. When I got SE, I was looking for something that handled ePubs better than and the other apps I looked at did both ePub & PDF. Rather than making a separate iPhone app, making CE & SE universal apps would have been a better route. OK, so now I have to look for a PDF reading app.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #82
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Just Recommended MapleRead SE

to a poster over on Apple Discussions:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7504236
Old 10-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #83
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad, iPad mini, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by romad View Post
to a poster over on Apple Discussions:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7504236
I found it at the bottom of page 5 of the thread.

P.S. In terms of ease of citing a specific post of a thread, MobileRead Forum is definitely more friendly.
sbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:18 PM   #84
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbaylor View Post
I found it at the bottom of page 5 of the thread.

P.S. In terms of ease of citing a specific post of a thread, MobileRead Forum is definitely more friendly.
Yes, Apple Discussions uses Jive and once you get past a certain number of posts in a thread, it stops displaying them hierarchically. Plus past a certain number of "pages" in a thread, the next, last, previous, etc. links don't work right.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #85
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Could anyone tell MapleRead's pros and cons against Marvin 3? I am using Marvin Classic right now. I will either upgrade it, or buy this. I like to keep hundreds of book inside the app.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:10 AM   #86
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Well, for me, I couldn't tell if Marvin allowed sorting by Author + Series which is a primary requirement to me.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #87
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GERGE View Post
Could anyone tell MapleRead's pros and cons against Marvin 3? I am using Marvin Classic right now. I will either upgrade it, or buy this. I like to keep hundreds of book inside the app.
I suggest you take a look of the detailed description of features with screenshots, reviews and FAQ (Help) on www.maplepop.com.

Many MapleRead users have converted from Marvin and iBooks, etc., for various reasons. If you tell me what you care most, perhaps I can give you some useful feedback.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:31 PM   #88
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Since MR CX can't handle PDFs, can you recommend a good iPhone app that can handle both ePubs and PDF's but is as easy as MR when adding those books? I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of apps only to find they aren't suitable.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #89
sbaylor
Addict

@romad
Are you happy with the PDF viewer of MapleRead SE?
Old 10-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #90
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired

Have not moved any PDFs to my iPad yet, but I'm talking about my iPhone which is the one with just about all the PDFs. I can't use MapleRead SE on the iPhone and MapleRead CX doesn't support PDFs.

I want ONE application to read both ePubs & PDFs on my iDevices, rather than one for ePubs and a separate one for PDFs. MapleRead SE is going to be the ONE app on my iPad; but I still need an app for the iPhone. If MapleRead SE was an Universal app, it would be on my iPhone in a heartbeat. Since it isn't, and if MapleRead CX supported PDFs, IT would be on my iPhone. Unfortunately, I am unable to see using a MapleRead product on my iPhone as none currently meet my minimum requirements.

Tags
mapleread