Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
glen
Edge User

Signing up for the beta

Maybe someone can clarify this for me-when I sign up for the beta, will I be able to download it directly to my eDGe via the updater, or do I have to download to my laptop and do the update via directions posted earlier?

I'm still hesitant about updating, but I rather be informed on how easy/hard it would be to update

Old 03-31-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
lobotom1
Edge User

You can power on your edge and check for update on it. It will download and install directly.

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

On your laptop, go to www.entourageedge.com and "Log In". Then click "My Account". Follow the instructions in red at the top of the page. At that point, run the Update app on your eDGe to download and install the beta directly.

Alternatively, on your eDGe, run the "Store" app and click the "My Account" link at the bottom of the page and do the same.

The update will not download until you've done the "opt in" step above.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
glen
Edge User

Yeah I know to get it

I'm staring at it wondering if I should go through with it or not.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
Yeah I know to get it I'm staring at it wondering if I should go through with it or not.
Unsupported, undocumented Beta? I am not installing it!

Edit: Well i did after all..

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 04-06-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Advert
Old 03-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
gecko
Edge User

Is supported - the support is in the forum, not privately, which makes sense; otherwise EnTOuRaGE would have to say the same thing over and over and over again. It's a common practice with betas (betai?) although not universal. There's the obvious problem that eNtouragE's presence here in the forum hasn't been so encouraging, though.

Undocumented, well, a change list would be nice. Maybe one's coming.

Anyway, where's your sense of adventure? It's not like we're talking about bungee jumping without the bungees, or ordering the "chef's special" in a Chinatown restaurant. I just did that a few days ago - got the "fried salad" which turned out to be an egg-roll shape, with very crisp rice paper for the wrapper, and the "salad" inside: canned fruit cocktail mixed with mayonnaise.

OK, it doesn't matter how the beta turns out for you, it's not going to be as bad as that, right?

Old 04-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
Michealj
Edge User

Hi, I see the "opt in" request when logged in with my EE but not when I am logged in with my laptop. I'm not sure why.

Micheal

Old 04-01-2011, 12:19 AM   #8
Glow
Edge User

In for a penny, in for a pound -- update in progress!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #9
Adiposius Maximus
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michealj View Post
Hi, I see the "opt in" request when logged in with my EE but not when I am logged in with my laptop. I'm not sure why.

Micheal
The opt-in marks your device for updating; when you're visiting on your laptop, it doesn't know which device to mark (in fact the device may not even be turned on).

Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
STL Droid
Edge User

Ok, there were links on support that allowed you to download dingo 1.1 and a "golden" zip file that would take you back from Ermine to Dingo. However, is there a way to get Ermine as an update.zip file? I worry that many who are hesitant at changing right now won't be able to in the near future if the entourage site goes down.

Any advice?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #11
sarah11918
Edge User

OK, just before I go ahead with this, I'm using the "local backup" app for the first time. (Backing up the library to an SD card.) Is that the extent of backing up I need to do before starting the beta update process?

Old 04-06-2011, 12:38 PM   #12
NiaTrue
Edge User

That's all I did, though I keep all APKs on my SD card in case I need to reinstall something later.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:44 PM   #13
sarah11918
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
That's all I did, though I keep all APKs on my SD card in case I need to reinstall something later.
Perfect. I end up emailing myself .apk files from my laptop a lot. So anything I can't easily get from one of the other market apps, I've probably got in email. Here goes nothing!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:25 PM   #14
gecko
Edge User

Sarah? Sarah? Are you there? Speak to us, Sarah.

Uh oh .....

Old 04-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #15
sarah11918
Edge User

Heh. Came out the other end of the tunnel just fine, thanks.