Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
christine3625
christine3625 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
new kindle and whispernet

i got a kindle for christmas....i had issue reg. the kindle to me and needless to say i had to do it over the phone. anyways i am here cause i have been trying to find out if infact i do need to go out and purchase a wifi router....(don't have wifi) and my kindle is not a 3g one. do the new ones not have whispernet? in order for me to download books or anything i have to always connect the kindle to the computer through the usb cable. i was told that i shouldn't have to do that at all...that its set up to just use whispernet when wifi is aviable. is there anyone that's able to help me. this has been such a pain.
christine3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
If you don't have wifi at home you will need a wifi router but many businesses offer wifi. Do you have a McDonald's close by? All the ones around me have free wifi. Starbucks is another location.

HTH
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Whispernet only works over a 3G connection. If you have a WiFi Kindle then (obviously!) you'll need to use a WiFi connection if you want to wirelessly download books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Whispernet is the term that means connectivity to Amazon, whether by wi-fi or 3G. The older Kindles only had 3G. If you don't have wi-fi, you should probably have gotten a 3G one, assuming you are within AT&T's coverage area. How did you think it was going to work, if you didn't have wi-fi, and didn't buy the 3G version?

Once your Kindle is registered (you might have to go to a Starbucks or something, and use their wi-fi to do so), you can download to the computer, then copy to the Kindle via USB. There is no magic - something has to connect between Amazon and your Kindle, whether over the air, or via a cable.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Amazon sells 2 different models in this line with only one difference: one includes the 3G cell phone connection (usually called 3g+wifi), the other does not and can only connect via wifi/wireless.

So since you have the wifi only version (which I also have), you have 2 options: get a router to setup wireless, or just use the USB cord and transfer the titles over that way.

One easy way to do this is also install Kindle for PC from the Amazon website. That way the Kindle for PC picks up your Amazon titles, and if you have your Kindle device connected via USB, the Kindle for PC can sync/load the books that way.

Whispernet is a generalized term for the ability to load your books from the internet, this can be done through 3G, wifi, or usb cord.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
and my kindle is not a 3g one. do the new ones not have whispernet?
3G = Whispernet.

There are two Kindle 3 models: the WiFi-Only model and the WiFi+3G model. You need to know which one you have.

If you have the WiFi-only model, then yes... you'll need access to a WiFi network to properly register and/or purchase books and download them from your Kindle.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl
One easy way to do this is also install Kindle for PC from the Amazon website. That way the Kindle for PC picks up your Amazon titles, and if you have your Kindle device connected via USB, the Kindle for PC can sync/load the books that way.
It doesn't work this way.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
christine3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Whispernet is the term that means connectivity to Amazon, whether by wi-fi or 3G. The older Kindles only had 3G. If you don't have wi-fi, you should probably have gotten a 3G one, assuming you are within AT&T's coverage area. How did you think it was going to work, if you didn't have wi-fi, and didn't buy the 3G version?
Once your Kindle is registered (you might have to go to a Starbucks or something, and use their wi-fi to do so), you can download to the computer, then copy to the Kindle via USB. There is no magic - something has to connect between Amazon and your Kindle, whether over the air, or via a cable.
*****i didn't buy it...it was a christmas gift. my SIL has one and doesn't have 3g or wifi and is able to use her's. sorry....like i said its new. i've never had anything like this before.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #9
christine3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
3G = Whispernet.

There are two Kindle 3 models: the WiFi-Only model and the WiFi+3G model. You need to know which one you have.

If you have the WiFi-only model, then yes... you'll need access to a WiFi network to properly register and/or purchase books and download them from your Kindle.
i have the wifi only one.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Christine - if you don't want to be bothered with WiFi, etc, the method you're using now of transferring books via the USB connection works absolutely fine. If you're happy with it, stick with it!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #11
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
My apologies, Whispernet = 3G, Whispersync = wifi and USB

Wish they would stop these generalized terms and just say "3G connection", "wifi connection" or "USB connection"
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:20 PM   #12
christine3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Christine - if you don't want to be bothered with WiFi, etc, the method you're using now of transferring books via the USB connection works absolutely fine. If you're happy with it, stick with it!
yeah actually i am not happy with it being that way and i kept hearing different things from different people saying that i shouldn't be having this issue. i don't mind getting a wifi router. my husband on the other hand seems to think that i don't need one in order to access the kindle store or get books downloaded on it without a computer connection or wifi.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #13
christine3625

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
My apologies, Whispernet = 3G, Whispersync = wifi and USB

Wish they would stop these generalized terms and just say "3G connection", "wifi connection" or "USB connection"
i completely agree!!!
Old 12-31-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
whiz16
whiz16 began at the beginning.

Device: sony
if you have an android 2.2 phone. u can open a wifi hotspot with it and connect your kindle to it. but well , its cheap if u have a data plan from your telecom else it will be expense..
whiz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine3625 View Post
yeah actually i am not happy with it being that way and i kept hearing different things from different people saying that i shouldn't be having this issue. i don't mind getting a wifi router. my husband on the other hand seems to think that i don't need one in order to access the kindle store or get books downloaded on it without a computer connection or wifi.
No, that would be the case if you had a 3G Kindle: it can download books without needing anything external, but with the WiFi model you do need to connect to a WiFi network, so you either need your own home WiFi, or else use a free one somewhere like a coffee shop.