Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-26-2024, 05:58 AM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
No, it's .epub (no DRM). But it hadn't even finished downloading. The file that got quarantined was .part. Anyway, I later used kubuntu (I dual boot) to download and unzip it. Scanning the unzipped folder, Windows AV found nothing. But it still thinks the zipped epub has a trojan. Because it's an epub3 ? Because it's about javascript?

BTW, I got a credit of $14 from kobo, so that went well at least.
Turn off your AV and see what happens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 10:30 AM   #32
SomeSteve
Addict
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
Would some kind soul give an example of how to run it to search for a specific book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Of course. Find a book on your favourite Kobo store. Copy the URL, and run the script with that URL as an argument.

eg. "https://www.kobo.com/gb/en/ebook/the-crystal-cave-1"
Thank you.

You will probably not be surprised to learn that this is the first script I have ever run. Before posting here, I had it in working order, after some trouble getting the Mechanize module installed, but I had no idea how to specify what book to look for. I figured that I needed to put something after "kobocompare" in the command line, but I thought I would have to mess around with variables or something.

Anyway, thanks again.
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 12:07 PM   #33
Tawn
Connoisseur
Tawn began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
Perhaps it was triggered by it having another extension (.epub) yet actually being a zip file. That's a classic old school way used to trick someone into opening malware.

Other file formats are similar, eg Java jar files are just zips in disguise. I've seen AV software replace class files in jars with PDFs, which amazingly caused software to break

In this case though, whatever it was that interfered with your download needs to be taught about epubs.
Yes, I'm quite familiar with Firefox extensions which are .xpi but basically just zip files. However epubs aren't new so I find it difficult to understand why Windows Defender wouldn't know about them. It must be something specific to certain epubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Turn off your AV and see what happens.
I would expect it would download, just like it did from kubuntu. Seems pointless unless you're actually expecting something else.
Tawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 02:06 PM   #34
kitimitsu
kitimitsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E, Kindle Paperwhite 4
I've done the price match in Kobo to Kindle books a few times now and it is not a very difficult process and you get your money back quickly. Usually before I buy the book on Kobo site, I check the Read Sample portion of the Kindle book and look under the Copyright Page section to compare the eISBN number to the ISBN number for the same book on the Kobo site. However, the issue is not all samples for Kindle books show the eISBN number and you cannot use the ISBN number for the paperback version. Of course you can buy the Kobo ebook version but you are taking a chance that it might not be the same version on Amazon and then you just paid more for a book than you wanted. I prefer to check ahead so know if I will be getting my money refunded for the price match.
kitimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote