Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Kindle for Samsung launched in 90 countries

From CNET:
http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-and...e-for-samsung/

Quote:
Samsung and Amazon are getting together for a new chapter for ebook fans: they're co-authors of a new ebook service called Kindle for Samsung.

Kindle for Samsung is described as a "custom-built ebook service" for Samsung devices, working on the Samsung Galaxy S5 and any phone or tablet running Android 4.0 or above. It's available now in 90 countries around the world.

The service includes Samsung Book Deals, which gives you a free ebook each month. You can't choose any book, sadly, but you do get to choose from a selection of four titles every month.
Presumably they mean any Samsung phone or tablet running Android 4.0 or above.

This...is...big...

Samsung owns one of the biggest hardware installed bases for phones and tablets on the planet and has for years been building up an iBooks-style ebookstore with some... regional(?) success... Getting them to sign up for Kindle means Amazon gets first crack at casual readers looking for ebooks in the Samsung world. Plus, it ensures somebody else (Nook, Kobo, Tolino?) doesn't sign Samsung up. I suspect the App will be a preload on future Samsung phones abd tablets.

The free monthly books? That sounds like Amazon First, which features Amazon Publishing titles. If so, that is a *double* win for Amazon.

Fallout?
Well, scratch Samsung as a possible buyer or partner for Nook.
Extra pressure on app-only ebook vendors...

Now to see if other similar deals follow. Even if they don't Amazon grabbed the ripest plum available in casual reading land.

Edit: Samsung press release notes the app can be found at the Samsung app store:
http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=35871

...which I can confirm. Both Kindle for Android and Kindle for Samsung can be found at Samsung Apps, but only Kindle for Android at the Amazon Appstore.

Amazon's page:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/kfs...g=thedigrea-20

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-17-2014 at 08:03 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Presumably they mean any Samsung phone or tablet running Android 4.0 or above.
Doesn't work for Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 running Android 4.2.2
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
I wonder if they will also allow Samsung owning Prime members to get the lending library.. I hear its not all powerful, but would still be a nice perk
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Nice. Samsung owners can have this Kindle version over the Android version.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Oh good, add yet another version of the Kindle app for Amazon to keep up with. They rarely modify the ones they have now. I personally think it is totally insane to create a separate Android app just for SamSUCKS. The normal Kindle for Android app is really lackluster, they should have spent time on it instead. Besides, all those so-called Amazon freebies are basically crap that very few people want, hence the reason they are free.
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Which device and version of Android do you have?
Samsung Galaxy S4, Android version 4.4.2
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #7
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froide View Post
Samsung Galaxy S4, Android version 4.4.2
I've never used the samsung app store, cause I have enough stores to shop. is that the only place to get it?

ETA:...glad I read this. missed the announcement that the 4.4 update was ready on my network (have you had any issues after update?)

Last edited by gabby98; 04-17-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
I've never used the samsung app store, cause I have enough stores to shop. is that the only place to get it?

ETA:...glad I read this. missed the announcement that the 4.4 update was ready on my network (have you had any issues after update?)
RE: GETTING SAMSUNG BOOK DEALS
Not to worry; after downloading the Kindle for Samsung app from Samsung's App Store, you can access and purchase the Samsung Book Deals from within that app.

RE: 4.4.2 UPDATE
Looking forward to the 4.4.3 update, which I hope will improve battery performance and eliminate the now sometimes-sluggish performance and occasional device freezes.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Oh good, add yet another version of the Kindle app for Amazon to keep up with. They rarely modify the ones they have now. I personally think it is totally insane to create a separate Android app just for SamSUCKS. The normal Kindle for Android app is really lackluster, they should have spent time on it instead. Besides, all those so-called Amazon freebies are basically crap that very few people want, hence the reason they are free.
Tell us how you really feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post

I updated about a month ago and I haven't had any issues. I have and S4 running on T-Mobile's network. I've read online about people having issues with 4.4.2 though so YMMV.

I installed it on my phone. I'll see how I like it. I don't normally read on my phone but I'm curious to see how this version of Kindle will be different from the Android version on my Nexus 7.

ETA: After doing a quick perusal, the only thing different is the home page and that's a cosmetic difference. It's white and brown instead of the black you see on the Android version. I prefer the Android version look wise. Besides the freebies, I'm not seeing what so unique or different about this version. Looking through the comments on the article, I'm apparently not alone. In fact, someone noted that the Samsung version doesn't even have the choice of fonts as the Android version.

Last edited by faithbw; 04-17-2014 at 12:35 PM.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
gabby98
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
Tell us how you really feel.

I updated about a month ago and I haven't had any issues. I have and S4 running on T-Mobile's network. I've read online about people having issues with 4.4.2 though so YMMV.

I installed it on my phone. I'll see how I like it. I don't normally read on my phone but I'm curious to see how this version of Kindle will be different from the Android version on my Nexus 7.

ETA: After doing a quick perusal, the only thing different is the home page and that's a cosmetic difference. It's white and brown instead of the black you see on the Android version. I prefer the Android version look wise. Besides the freebies, I'm not seeing what so unique or different about this version. Looking through the comments on the article, I'm apparently not alone. In fact, someone noted that the Samsung version doesn't even have the choice of fonts as the Android version.
thanks on both notes
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #11
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Thanks, I love any method of getting free books. And jswinden, while some might be crap I know that Elizabeth Street was a good book IMO and I got it for free about 2 years ago. I've downloaded Bone River as that one sounds good as well. I've had great luck with the monthly books on Prime so far though this month I didn't see any that might strike me. I'll look at them again before the month is over.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 05:13 PM   #12
Vroo
Zealot
Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vroo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of Kindles, PocketBook HD3/InkpadX, inkBOOK, Kobo
I don't have eligible Samsung phone, so two questions:
- are these books really free (and forever available) or they will be just lent for one month?
- is there a necessity to use Samsung device to reading - or the book will be also available on another kindle devices? A perfect way would be to use Samsung app to claim the book and to read it on Kindle device.
Vroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #13
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It also works on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
I downloaded it and coexists with my regular Kindle app.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
janrey
Groupie
janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.janrey can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle3, Voyage
Vroo, they are really free, forever available and after downloading to your Samsung device are available to download to any other device. The normal price is not that much, about $4.99 but Elizabeth Street had been as high as $9.99 when it first came out. The only ones that are "rented" are the kindle library available with Prime.
janrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:02 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It also works on a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.
I downloaded it and coexists with my regular Kindle app.
Can they link to the same user account or are they separate?
I.e., can you activate the Samsung reader with an existing Kindle account?
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote