Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 09-28-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Exclamation Apple software update kills "hacked" iPhones

The BBC are reporting that a new software update from Apple leaves "hacked" iPhones permanently inoperable.

The story reports that:

On Monday Apple issued a statement in which it said many of the unauthorised iPhone unlocking programs caused "irreparable damage" to the device's software.

The company said this would "likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed".

That warning has now proved correct as many owners are reporting their phones no longer work following installation of the update.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The BBC are reporting that a new software update from Apple leaves "hacked" iPhones permanently inoperable.

The story reports that:

On Monday Apple issued a statement in which it said many of the unauthorised iPhone unlocking programs caused "irreparable damage" to the device's software.

The company said this would "likely result in the modified iPhone becoming permanently inoperable when a future Apple-supplied iPhone software update is installed".

That warning has now proved correct as many owners are reporting their phones no longer work following installation of the update.
Apple purposely created the new firmware to check for an unlocked phone and cause it not to work. This is all the fault of Apple. It would be one thing if after applying the new firmware, the phone was no longer unlocked (which Apple could have done), but instead they decided to cause the phones to simply not work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I believe, though, that it's not only "unlocked" phones which are stopping working, but also those "locked" ones on which additional "unapproved" software has been installed.

I can see major lawsuits in the near future as a result of this...
Old 09-28-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I see a lot less Apple business as a result of this.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's not a good idea to rely on MSM for technical information. They got the details wrong this time.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/top/iphon...deo-304497.php

The phones aren't completely dead. It appears that they have reverted to a fresh out of the box pre-activation state.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Quote:
I see alot of people waiting for the hack to resurface again before updating to the latest version. Why would you update your friggin phone if you knew App$e would be releasing an update to lock you out of your phone?

Bottom Line: It was hacked successfully once, it's only a matter of hours before it's hacked again and Apple becomes $ony pursuing PSP homebrew users. Problem is, they can never plug the holes.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
My understanding is that when the iphones are purchased, customers have to sign a contract agreeing not to do this kind of stuff. If that's correct, they'll get no sympathy from me. You can hate rules and restrictions or even the companies that rely on them all you like. But if you're going to do business with them, you should be prepared to abide by those rules or else suffer the consequences with a little dignity (i.e., don't go whining about it).
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
My understanding is that when the iphones are purchased, customers have to sign a contract agreeing not to do this kind of stuff. If that's correct, they'll get no sympathy from me. You can hate rules and restrictions or even the companies that rely on them all you like. But if you're going to do business with them, you should be prepared to abide by those rules or else suffer the consequences with a little dignity (i.e., don't go whining about it).
I know a couple of Iphone owners, and they said they did not have to sign a contract.

But it is true that there are clauses buried in the warranty that specifically excludes from the warranty coverage any damage if you install unapproved third party apps.

Refusing to cover unauthorized apps is understandable; releasing an upgrade that freezes all Iphones with those apps is something else. They have set themselves up for a class action lawsuit. They will likely lose the suit because I bet they bricked the Iphones deliberately.

But nevermind the lawsuit. What they have done is a PR fiasco, and it will soon grow to be a major PR clusterf***. I give it two weeks before Apple caves, apologizes, and releases a new update that won't brick your Iphone.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I know a couple of Iphone owners, and they said they did not have to sign a contract.

But it is true that there are clauses buried in the warranty that specifically excludes from the warranty coverage any damage if you install unapproved third party apps.

Refusing to cover unauthorized apps is understandable; releasing an upgrade that freezes all Iphones with those apps is something else. They have set themselves up for a class action lawsuit. They will likely lose the suit because I bet they bricked the Iphones deliberately.

But nevermind the lawsuit. What they have done is a PR fiasco, and it will soon grow to be a major PR clusterf***. I give it two weeks before Apple caves, apologizes, and releases a new update that won't brick your Iphone.
It is not clear that they bricked the phones. Some have said they merely set them back to unauthorized and you can reauthorize them at ATT. However, what makes you think this is Apple's fault. I am sure this is an ATT requirement for subsidizing the cost of the phone in the exclusive contract.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

Not to be mean here but good for Apple in asserting some control over their product.

People buy Apple, not me, for the control they exert over their products and now want to complain when it adversely affects them.

This is no different than me hacking the rom on my Axim and bricking it and wanting Dell to replace it because I did something I should not have done.

No sympathy here from me, you play fast and loose, you accept the outcome.

Everyone had fair warning of this possibility and knows Apple's fanatical control of their toys they produce.

Don't like it, do not buy from them.

I like this and maybe it will give users pause next time they hack their phone that they may brick it.

These users got caught and now want to whine about it, they need not bother me.

I mean, who said to hack the phone and then to install an update they knew would brick the phone?

Good learning experience for all of us.

Now I am off to install the latest cooked rom for my axim from XDA Developers.

Just kidding on the last, already did it knowing and accepting the possibilty of making it a brick.

And only blaming myself for it, should it occur.

David

Last edited by Harpgliss; 09-28-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Harpgliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
It is 100% legal to be able to unlock your phone (in the USA) to use it with a different provider. So what Apple is doing is maybe not so legal.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Apple is at fault because they wrote the software. The software harmed Apple's customers. Why they wrote it is irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is not clear that they bricked the phones. Some have said they merely set them back to unauthorized and you can reauthorize them at ATT. However, what makes you think this is Apple's fault. I am sure this is an ATT requirement for subsidizing the cost of the phone in the exclusive contract.

Dale
The Iphone is not subsidized (yet). Everyone who bought one through ATT paid the list price.

Furthermore, the contract that Apple had with ATT is irrelevant to the people who bought an Iphone from an Apple store. Apple has no legal right to tell me I cannot run other software on my Iphone. They can refuse to support it, certainly. They have no obligation to test the upgrade to make sure that it doesn't break the third party software. Okay, fine.

But I think they deliberately made the upgrade restore only the unlocked Iphone to factory settings.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
This reminds me of the "silver bullet" that cable companies put out some years ago to kill off "unauthorized" decoder boxes. Basically, they were trying to prevent folks from getting decoder boxes from anywhere but the cable company. I don't recall what came of it directly, but I do notice that 3rd party decoder boxes are no longer considered taboo.

I see what you're saying Harpgliss, but I also think that this is a bit different from what you're viewing it as. You mention bricking an Axim and trying to get Dell to replace it. Trouble is, there's not really another product that's analogous to this.

If I buy a Nokia phone from Cingular, they lock it. I can go to any of scores of web services and get it unlocked. I'm still bound by my contract, unless I payed full price and declined to sign a contract. Neither Nokia, nor Cingular is harmed in any way by my unlocking my phone so that I can use it on another service if I should choose to do so at some point.

What's happening with these iPhones is that folks are buying them at full price, no subsidy. Evidently, in a lot of cases, they're not signing any sort of contract to use any particular service. They're unlocking those phones and using them with the service of their choice (something which has been established practice for other phones for some time).

If Apple releases an update that, as an accidental side effect, bricks them, that's one thing, if they set out as a specific goal to do so, that's another. I tend to agree that they would likely lose a law suit (and almost certainly face one) under that circumstance.

Exercising control over the use of Hardware is not something that most folks are prepared to accept. Exercising it over software is a somewhat different matter, though I can see Microsoft getting sued out of existence if they were to deliberately send out something that permanently locked up the OS if someone hooked up, say, a printer of a particular brand or something to it.

Declining to support something isn't the same as messing with the function of something that was already working.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
If Apple releases an update that, as an accidental side effect, bricks them, that's one thing, if they set out as a specific goal to do so, that's another. I tend to agree that they would likely lose a law suit (and almost certainly face one) under that circumstance.
The only "get out of gaol free" card they might be able to play is the fact that they told people in advance that this would be what the update would do. They could well argue, therefore, that customers applied the update in the full knowledge of what the effect was likely to be.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #15
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

Analogies aside, and maybe mine were bad, but people who installed software that was not designed to run on the Iphone accept that bad things could happen to it from either bad software or an update from Apple.

I understand Sony is this way with the PSP updates for their firmware also.

I just feel if you did the unlock thing when it was not supported from Apple, you took a chance it would break the phone.

I would be upset also but at me and not Apple.

David
Harpgliss is offline   Reply With Quote