Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

PDF question general to all ebook readers

This is not specific to the NC but applicable to all my ebook readers whether the NC or an eInk.

I have several Canon user guides for my various cameras and each is a PDF file. They all display well on a computer. But everyone of them shows a huge slanted box with "Copy" on each page when viewed in an ebook reader. The PDFs are locked of course, so I cannot figure out how to deactivate/hide that layer. Has anyone seen this in PDF files and is their a way to hide the copy layer? It is quite annoying when trying to read the manuals.

It isn't like these are purchased items Canon doesn't want shared. I understand that Canon would want to lock them to prevent someone from changing the text, but surely there is a way to get rid of the copy layer.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-12-20-2.png
Views:	305
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	63184  

Last edited by jswinden; 12-20-2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Hi, Jack. Did you ever figure out if it's possible to hide the Copy watermark? I have the same question. The only files I have encountered with this issue are the Canon User manuals too.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Here is a thread where users had the same problem and a solution they found. I'd bet that the eInk makes the watermark stand out in relief in ways that real ink or LCDs do not.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=380798
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook Color
This may be a moot/dumb question, but is it possible to use Calibre to convert the pdf file to epub (assuming the pdf file does not have DRM), and then maybe an epub editor like Sigil to remove the watermark (if the conversion didn't do that already)?
leday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
This may be a moot/dumb question, but is it possible to use Calibre to convert the pdf file to epub (assuming the pdf file does not have DRM), and then maybe an epub editor like Sigil to remove the watermark (if the conversion didn't do that already)?
It is DRMed. Why Canon DRMs a free book is beyond me, but they do. And even if it wasn't DRMed, there are so many images laid out in very useful format that calibre would never convert it correctly. It would be a jumbled mess.

EDIT: I should say I actually understand the DRM on their manuals, but the watermark I don't understand. So it is a copy, why do they care since the manual is given away free to anyone who wants to download it.

@Bookworm_Girl, No I never found a solution. I'll try the link above to see if it helps.

@RockdaMan, Thanks for the link I'll check it out. It does affect (shows up) on my NOOKcolor LCD screen as well as my eInk screens.

EDIT: I checked out the link. It was from 2007 and required running a complicated binary script that only worked on some manuals. I'll keep searching for a workable solution.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-10-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
mikehill33
mikehill33 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I remember seeing this watermark, it is something that Canon feels the need to add.

I think you can Google on the manual name and should be able to find a watermark free version.
mikehill33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
EDIT: I checked out the link. It was from 2007 and required running a complicated binary script that only worked on some manuals.
Check out the last post in that thread.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
leday
Groupie
leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.leday has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I googled "removing pdf watermark" and found this among many lists:
ttp://www.tipstrs.com/tip/10414/Remove-PDF-watermark-

I haven't checked it out, but who knows...might help...
Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by leday View Post
I googled "removing pdf watermark" and found this among many lists:
ttp://www.tipstrs.com/tip/10414/Remove-PDF-watermark-

I haven't checked it out, but who knows...might help...
This program is a total waste of time. They claim that it will find every image in a PDF then let you remove the images you want. In theory this means you could remove the watermark image. However, I tried it with three Canon manuals and it could NOT find the watermark image! Good thing it was a trial program and I didn't pay for it. And yes, the trial version puts a watermark of its own on the converted manual.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #10
leday
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
This program is a total waste of time. They claim that it will find every image in a PDF then let you remove the images you want. In theory this means you could remove the watermark image. However, I tried it with three Canon manuals and it could NOT find the watermark image! Good thing it was a trial program and I didn't pay for it. And yes, the trial version puts a watermark of its own on the converted manual.
OK good. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that.