Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 AM   #1
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Anyone received 902/903, shipping started?

Hi

The new pocketbooks were supposed to start shipping by Nov 15th, in Europe at least.

So has anyone received it yet? or has the shipping started?

Kindly do post your comments (and if received, comments on PDF viewing)

Thanks
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 AM   #2
dainys
dainys began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook G3-> PB 360-> PB Pro 902 (preordered)
Hi,
yes, some have got 902 already... There is impression from one: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=13
In germany, but google translate is you in help.
Mine is on the way, on Tuesday hope to get...
dainys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! But i couldnt make much out of the translations.
Please do post your experiences.
TIA
Old 11-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
twoflower
Enthusiast
twoflower began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902
My local reseller expected to have 902 in stock on 22nd (yesterday), but it apparently has not arrived yet. I hope it will during this week.
twoflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:19 AM   #5
BrightSoul
BrightSoul doesn't litterBrightSoul doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 902
I did receive it on tuesday, I'll be posting pictures later today.

It's a nice product and I'm very happy with its good PDF support, even though I've found a few issues so far. I'd be even more happy if they were resolved in the next firmware update.

- The g-sensor is not working for me. Even after calibrating it, it does nothing. When I turn the device sideways, the orientation won't change. I can do that manually though, via the "Rotate" icon in the menu.

- Note taking doesn't work. When I select "Note" in the menu, I can see the display flashing for a second but then no panel comes up. Or, if it comes up I can't see it.

- Reflowing PDFs with complex layouts blocks the device, even if it's just one page. I extracted page 23 from this newspaper and tried to reflow it. I can see content arranged differently but then the device becomes unresponsive. All the buttons stop working except the one for switching the thing off. I see an hourglass on the bottom left corner of the screen which won't go away for minutes, i.e. for the time I waited.

- I don't know if it's intended but, I can't rotate nor zoom when I'm browing the web using Midori.

- When I plug the usb cable in, the device starts recharging even though it's supposed to ask me whetever to recharge or mount the drive in Windows. When I plug it out and in again, the drive gets mounted. Still, I'm not asked what to do, though.

Has anyone else encountered these issues?

Last edited by BrightSoul; 11-25-2010 at 06:24 AM.
BrightSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
repods
Addict
repods is on a distinguished road

Device: irex DR-800S, M92S
ok.. but with the pdf zoomed is it ok ?
repods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
Hi

The new pocketbooks were supposed to start shipping by Nov 15th, in Europe at least.

So has anyone received it yet? or has the shipping started?
I've been told today that my PB903 will be shipped either or on Monday - as background info, in case it is of any use, I bought it from the UK, and I am pretty sure I was the first person to order. Hope it does indeed ship by Monday!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:32 PM   #8
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSoul View Post
I did receive it on tuesday, I'll be posting pictures later today.

It's a nice product and I'm very happy with its good PDF support, even though I've found a few issues so far. I'd be even more happy if they were resolved in the next firmware update.

- The g-sensor is not working for me. Even after calibrating it, it does nothing. When I turn the device sideways, the orientation won't change. I can do that manually though, via the "Rotate" icon in the menu.

- Note taking doesn't work. When I select "Note" in the menu, I can see the display flashing for a second but then no panel comes up. Or, if it comes up I can't see it.

- Reflowing PDFs with complex layouts blocks the device, even if it's just one page. I extracted page 23 from this newspaper and tried to reflow it. I can see content arranged differently but then the device becomes unresponsive. All the buttons stop working except the one for switching the thing off. I see an hourglass on the bottom left corner of the screen which won't go away for minutes, i.e. for the time I waited.

- I don't know if it's intended but, I can't rotate nor zoom when I'm browing the web using Midori.

- When I plug the usb cable in, the device starts recharging even though it's supposed to ask me whetever to recharge or mount the drive in Windows. When I plug it out and in again, the drive gets mounted. Still, I'm not asked what to do, though.

Has anyone else encountered these issues?
That doesn't sound too good.
Do you have the latest FW installed ? I've heard they fixed a few issue just before the first shipment.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
rhari79
Addict

Quote:
How about simpler pdfs? These devices tend to have some limitations..
Old 11-25-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
BrightSoul
BrightSoul doesn't litterBrightSoul doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 902
Picture time!
http://picasaweb.google.com/gentili....cketbookPro902

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Do you have the latest FW installed ? I've heard they fixed a few issue just before the first shipment.
Yes... I think. I'd like to be proven wrong though. You see, firmware version 20101110 is available to download from this page. My pocketbook shows version 2010116, i.e. a newer firmware?!? This is confusing... see it for yourself on this picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by repods
ok.. but with the pdf zoomed is it ok ?
Zooming is fine; scrolling a zoomed PDF, on the other hand, not as much.
This is a newspaper page I zoomed in, so that I could read the fine print better:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

You can see that part of the text is now outside the screen. Well, I can't scroll left or right to see that text since the left and right buttons on the D-Pad are mapped to "previous page" and "next page" (another firmware issue?). I can scroll down and up though, but not by small amounts. When I tap "down" once, the page is scrolled all the way down. This is what I see then:

So, right now, the best way to read a newspaper is to turn the device sideways, like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79
How about simpler pdfs? These devices tend to have some limitations..
They're much better. See the device displaying this PDF:

You don't really need to zoom it, but if you did, a 110% would suffice to remove the white padding around the text. It can be reflown, too!

The pocketbook does a wonderful job with this PDF, in my opinion.
I believe that images are upscaled using the "nearest neighbor" algorithm which is kinda low quality compared to bicubic or bilinear resampling methods. But then again I don't know if e-readers possess enough computing power to accomplish bicubic resampling.
BrightSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:06 PM   #11
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Awesome!! I'm going to buy the 902~~
It looks very nice for textbook.

Last edited by CalvinL; 11-26-2010 at 12:35 AM.
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #12
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
You might want to double check that screen orientation is set to automatic in system (not fbreader, etc.) settings. What I found out (in PB360) is that if you manually change the orientation even once, this will be disabled. Weird I know. They should fix this.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:08 AM   #13
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Picture time!
Thanks a lot for the huge amount of pictures !!!

The FW issue is somewhat confusing. I wonder if they use different FW version for Europe and US or the page has not been updated.

I wonder about your memory. The "About device" picture says you have 1076MB total whereas the 902 specifications says 2GB Memory. Seems you are missing ~1GB.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:26 AM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
ciao, Brightsoul
Thanks for the pictures and your report. Just one thing, though:

Quote:
Yes... I think. I'd like to be proven wrong though. You see, firmware version 20101110 is available to download from this page. My pocketbook shows version 2010116, i.e. a newer firmware?!?
the new firmware number has 8 figures, your has 7: so I suspect the new version is 10, whereas your version is version 6, so I would say not the most up to date one. My 2 cents.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:27 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Just a tip for the scrolling issue (if you often use zoomed pdfs). You can remap the keys (especially your cross keys) to scroll the PDF instead of turning the page. This works only in zoomed PDFs, of course.

Reading zoomed PDFs is easier when you use a stylus like on the Xo3s, of course.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote