Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #61
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS Kindle View Post
What are the "packages"? What will they do? Please help with a newbie, thank you.
It's nothing for us to deal with. To the best of my knowledge it's the way the developers "package" the software hacks so they can be installed on the Kindle.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 PM   #62
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
Thank you very much

Could someone make an update for this hack:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66
(screensaver is the last page, DX.)
can i do it by myself with the packager? Thanks
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 12:42 PM   #63
SalvaG
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
can i do it by myself with the packager? Thanks
Yes, but the update fails in the middle.

Extract files:
kindle_update_tool.py e update_screensaver-lp_install.bin

Repack:
kindle_update_tool.py m --dx --sign --ex screensaver-lp_repacked_install bspatch install.sh framework-impl.jar.bdiff ss_lock.gif ss_pdf_lock.gif

Any idea ? thanks

Edit: ok, I´ve just seen the log file:
"
install: screensaver-lp v0.03, Sat Apr 25 06:30:19 UTC 1970
/opt/amazon/ebook/lib/framework-impl.jar md5sum mismatch (b1bd0280c1ad2d2b50b5d2e96eb8d81d), aborting...
"

help needed

Edit 2: ok, I´ve figured out what happens. The file framework-impl.jar was modified with firmware 2.3
ebs'd have to do a new .bdiff (binary diff, binary patch, you know), but he is missing since september... any volunteer ?

Last edited by SalvaG; 12-28-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 AM   #64
glitrbug
glitrbug began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
I have a Kindle one and have followed the earlier instructions and get as far as open the screensaver book and then I lose the right silver thingy, the left one stays next to "screensaver" and nothing happens. It will stay that way until the old screensaver comes on. When I press Alt + aA the silver thingy circles around until I press home. The new screensaver book refuses to open. I checked in the hidden folders under screen_savers and it looks empty but if I go in through my computer, kindle, pictures, screensavers, the 600 X800 jpg is right where I put it. Any ideas? this is making me nuts.
glitrbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 01:46 PM   #65
dandrewk
dandrewk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Greetings:

I am trying to uninstall the screensaver hack with no luck. Each time I try the Kindle says update is unsuccessful and reboots, with hack still in place.

I am trying to update the Kindle v.2.3, but first I do have to uninstall the hack.

Here is a screenshot of my Kindle's root directory:

note: there are several tmp files, which I assume Kindle put there with several failed auto updates to latest OS version. I have removed these, but still I cannot successfully run the uninstall.

Please help if you can.
dandrewk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #66
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please see the link in my sig for uninstalling and installing the screensaver hack. You must use the uninstaller that came with the version of the hack you installed originally.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #67
dandrewk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Please see the link in my sig for uninstalling and installing the screensaver hack. You must use the uninstaller that came with the version of the hack you installed originally.
Thanks daffy4u. I was able to locate the uninstaller that came with my version hack. Interestingly, that version shows it as hack 0.2, but my Kindle screen shows UFHack 0.1.

Anyway, I installed the 0.2 uninstaller and it was successful. However, my "settings" screen on the Kindle still shows that UFHack 0.1 still present. Yet, putting the Kindle in sleep mode brings up the dead guys instead of my own screensavers.

I then tried to manually install Kindle 2.3, but with no luck.

Any ideas? Restore defaults? Maybe a hard reset?

Dave
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #68
dandrewk

Just realized that UFHack is the font hack.

Hmmm, maybe UFHack also needs to be uninstalled before the 2.3 update will take hold?
Old 01-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #69
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewk View Post
Thanks daffy4u. I was able to locate the uninstaller that came with my version hack. Interestingly, that version shows it as hack 0.2, but my Kindle screen shows UFHack 0.1.

Anyway, I installed the 0.2 uninstaller and it was successful. However, my "settings" screen on the Kindle still shows that UFHack 0.1 still present. Yet, putting the Kindle in sleep mode brings up the dead guys instead of my own screensavers.

I then tried to manually install Kindle 2.3, but with no luck.

Any ideas? Restore defaults? Maybe a hard reset?

Dave
Do you have own K2 U.S. or K2 International? There are specific hacks for each version.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #70
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Just realized that UFHack is the font hack.

Hmmm, maybe UFHack also needs to be uninstalled before the 2.3 update will take hold?
Yes, it does need to be removed.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #71
dandrewk

Yup, removed both SS and UF hacks, updated to 2.3, reinstalled both hacks.

All is good. Many thanks for your help!
Old 01-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #72
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Yup, removed both SS and UF hacks, updated to 2.3, reinstalled both hacks.

All is good. Many thanks for your help!
Excellent!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #73
savanik
savanik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
ok, I´ve figured out what happens. The file framework-impl.jar was modified with firmware 2.3
ebs'd have to do a new .bdiff (binary diff, binary patch, you know), but he is missing since september... any volunteer ?
I have some unix hackery skills, but I haven't done any firmware patches for the kindle yet. Can you point me in the right direction for the source code and whatnot, I can take a swing at it.

Sav
savanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #74
SalvaG
Enthusiast

Hi

This is the hack made by ebs:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=66
which includes the source code.
The file "framework-impl.jar.bdiff" (I guess) patches the "file framework_impl.jar" (but only for 2.2 version; ebs was smart enough to do a check before patching).

The main problem is that the .bdiff file is a 12k binary file. I think only ebs would be able to make easily a new patch. Someone else would have to do the patch from scratch.

Last edited by SalvaG; 01-23-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #75
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Version supporting the new Kindle DX
http://www.avenard.org/kindle2/packager-0.8.tar.gz

Note of warning: untested; as I do not have a Kindle DX
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote