Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It's often more complicated than that... You have to do this first, then this, and finally this... That set of instructions often gets harder and harder to remember. And reading is just reading the text and going to the next page. Only one thing to remember (how do I get to the next page).
If I recall the layout of the PRS-700 correctly, one simply has to press the button labelled "Menu".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
Yeah, but you have to choose a book than etc. etc. I guess, she is just fine, if I open her one and she can read it. For now, she is extremly happy with that possibility. You must keep in mind, she never had a computer or something like that. You cannot compare her with us. Something technical that is easy and simple to us, is not as simple to older people.
Maybe one day she figuers out how to change books too. But for now, I will do that for here. She is simply happy being able to read again, and not feeling that useless anymore. I think we cannot imagine what it means for a person to loose step by step all the abilities you used to have.
The older you get, the less you can do. That is sad. People getting older and older but their bodys are not constructed to become that old.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos View Post
Yeah, but you have to choose a book than etc. etc. I guess, she is just fine, if I open her one and she can read it. For now, she is extremly happy with that possibility. You must keep in mind, she never had a computer or something like that. You cannot compare her with us. Something technical that is easy and simple to us, is not as simple to older people.
Maybe one day she figuers out how to change books too. But for now, I will do that for here. She is simply happy being able to read again, and not feeling that useless anymore. I think we cannot imagine what it means for a person to loose step by step all the abilities you used to have.
The older you get, the less you can do. That is sad. People getting older and older but their bodys are not constructed to become that old.
Keeping books in collections of 9 (or 10 without pictures) might make it simpler. not to overload the device and make it hard. or just keeping only 9 books on the device if she cant figure out how to turn the shelf pages. its extremely easy.

go home, look at your books, and touch the one you want to read.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:21 PM   #19
billy fiddle
billy fiddle began at the beginning.

Device: ipod touch - stanza
That's a great story. It tells me more about the 700 than any list of features. I can geek my way through a difficult interface but I don't like to anymore. The simplest and most intuitive interfaces take design sense. I have grown tired of "clunky". The 700 sounds like the best bet. Thanks for the story. It was fun to read.
billy fiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
sunsetsylvia
Enthusiast
sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sunsetsylvia has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (sangria red), PRS-350 (silber), Galaxy Tab
Sounds like something my father (78) would appreciate. And books in big font print are usually so expensive anyway.
sunsetsylvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 01:28 AM   #21
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

@Andybaby. basicly you are right, a few books on the reader would make it ease. BUT, you cannot change the size, the way the books are shown. It is to small for her, to read the writing or to recognize the cover picture. Even in the list view.

So I guess someone always will have to switch between the books and select a new one. Would be great, if you could change the size in the other menues too. So that might be a good thing, if Sony could integrate that.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:25 PM   #22
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Story Time:

So I have been longing for an ebook reader for quite a while now. I have given my parents the appropriate Christmas gift hints and offered to move my birthday to June should they like to buy me one. So here I am yesterday, renovating the bathroom, when the phone rings. It's my mother. "Guess what I am playing with?" she says. Naturally I guessed a puppy. "Wrong" she says "I am playing with that sony thingy that you want. One of my clients has one and she is letting me play with it." My mother is a home care nurse in Saskatchewan Canada and one of here elderly (83) clients received the reader as a gift because she is a book lover but her eyes have all but gone. She loves reading on it but her family only loaded 3 books on it so she keeps rereading those books. She has no computer so I promised to load the 700 up with books for her when I go visit my folks next week.

My Mom told me that her client who can't read books anymore has absolutely no problem reading off of her sony prs-700. My mom even wants me to make an ebook with all of her prescription information for her so she doesn't have to call my mom or the doctors every time she forgets which prescription is which and can't read the type on the bottles.

Just thought I'd share this story.

Mike
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #23
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
That is just plain neat!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
mos
Addict

Yeah, and I don't want to hear any more any complains about that the screen is not good for reading! My granny and mkylnds story shows us, that this is in almost every way the perfect reader.

Don'T load to many books on it. I think that will puzzel her.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #25
mklynds
That guy, no not that guy
mklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with othersmklynds plays well with others

Device: PRS600 Red
Quote:
Don'T load to many books on it. I think that will puzzel her.
LOL. I won't, I promise. My mom and her are going to make a list of about 20 books she would like. Then next time I come to visit I can add/remove books for her.
mklynds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Yeah, and I don't want to hear any more any complains about that the screen is not good for reading! My granny and mkylnds story shows us, that this is in almost every way the perfect reader.
Want your granny read in the sunlight from time to time? Yes?
...maybe i will lend her my PRS-505 for some hours...

(I'm just kidding, mos)
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 AM   #27
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
That's a neat story! I'm glad she has something else to fill her time with, that she enjoys doing.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote