Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 PM   #1
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
change 'device id' in CC, howto

I received my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 today & am now downloading the books from Calibre which has Android 7, Marshmallow.

The copy of CC was "restored" from Google backup & apparently had some data settings like the CC library was set to my Asus's settings that has the library on the SD card. I was able to change the SD card location/id to the Tab S2.

A problem arose where Calibre thinks it is downloading the books to my Asus zenpad with the generic device id of P027. Was not able to change it before the job of downloading the books & will wait after the finish to see what I can do on the Calibre end.

However, how can I change the device id from P027 to T713 in CC?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:14 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
However, how can I change the device id from P027 to T713 in CC?
If I am understanding what happened correctly, go to CC Settings / Connecting to calibre / Wireless device connection, tap "Device name shown by calibre", then enter what you want.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
If I am understanding what happened correctly, go to CC Settings / Connecting to calibre / Wireless device connection, tap "Device name shown by calibre", then enter what you want.
Thanks, found that AFTER I uninstalled & reinstalled from the Play Store. After the reinstall from Play Store (fresh copy?), the P027 was there as well as the default directory pointing to the SD card on the P027; this tells me the uninstall did not delete/uninstall(?) the old id, default directory & the format for downloading.

However the books are still in my Tab S2 SD card, so will be trying to download about 5 books to see if I will get dups; if not I'm set otherwise will be wiping out everything to start really fresh. The problem will be how to get rid of the old settings or have the new default directory & device id override the old stuff.

Moral is not to "restore apps from another device in Google" to 'shortcut' installation onto a new device.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
crane3
Guru

SAVED! When I connected to Calibre, CC sent metadata to C for syncing. At the end, the books were in sync with Calibre so that I did not have to download any books.
Interesting that there were 4 books listed with "coded" file names which were different from the book name itself & will be changing those PDFs.

Looks like CC is saving me from myself!

EDIT: How do I change the book title generated by CC? The book name is correct on Calibre; CC book details shows the path to the book & is correct but somehow the title is not the same. The book details displays different info from books with correct book titles!

Last edited by crane3; 04-26-2018 at 01:58 PM. Reason: additional info needed
Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
EDIT: How do I change the book title generated by CC? The book name is correct on Calibre; CC book details shows the path to the book & is correct but somehow the title is not the same. The book details displays different info from books with correct book titles!
I am not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying that CC shows a different title than the one shown by calibre?

CC "generates" a book title in only one specific instance: during a wireless device connection when CC scans the book folders and finds epub books that are not in its database. It extracts what metadata it can from the books then hands that metadata to calibre for correction. If calibre matches that book to one in the library then calibre will send new metadata to CC. If calibre cannot match the book then it remains as an unmatched book. Calibre cannot match the book if the UUID in the book file doesn't match the calibre library, or if the title/authors don't sufficiently match.

You can see which books in CC do not match a book in calibre's library by connecting as a wireless device then going to the "Device view" and looking for books that are not "In Library". Sorting by the In Library field is the easiest way to group them together. For books that don't match but are actually in the library, use the "Match books" calibre operation. For a given book in the device view, right-click on the book and choose "Match". Do the search, etc.

If there are a lot of them then it might be faster to delete them using the device view then resend them from the library view.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
crane3
Guru

Thanks. I will just delete & resend the book. 3 of the books were just scanned sheets of instructions that came with some devices which I no longer have or is borked; I do want to save the 1 book, 'Understanding Ldap'.

The puzzle is that the downloaded books were good as is; after I uninstalled & reinstalled CC, 4 books got their titles regenerated. However will check on the device view as it arouses my curiosity.

Last edited by crane3; 04-26-2018 at 04:16 PM. Reason: clarification?