Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
drn001
drn001 began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Calibre won't read library

Hello,
I'm new to this, so there is probably some easy answer, but I can't figure it out.

I would like to run Calibre on my notebook (which is my primary tool when I travel) and my desktop. I installed Calibre on my desktop and it ran great. I copied my library to a memory stick and copied to the external hard drive I use with my notebook. When I installed Calibre on my notebook, I specified the Calibre library I had installed on my external hard drive, but instead of using that, it read the iBooks library on the same drive and wrote that over what I had spent some considerable number of hours producing on my desktop. So, the question: is there a way to install Calibre on my notebook such that it will work with a synced library on both computers.

Perhaps more troubling, the Calibre library associated with my desktop won't load. The library is there, and Calibre identifies it as the relevant library but is somehow loading the library that was associated with the library on my notebook which, as far as I can tell, is not at the specified location (i.e. J:/Calibre library).
drn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
there are 3 areas on your HD that are used by Calibre
1) the program files section (needs admin rights ti create)
2) the (standard) user settings (usually hidden). This is where your preferences, current Library name and LOCATION and plugins are kept
3) The Library (the Author and Book folders)

If you did not touch the preferences folder, you probably MOVED metadata.db

What does the titlebar of the empty Calibre Library window say
(Mine says MainLib, which is the Library name and the name of the folder that contains metadata.db)
Is that name match where you found the books (authors folder)?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2017, 07:49 PM   #3
drn001

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

I probably don't even know how to describe the problem well. On your query, if the titlebar is right at the top, mine says "calibre - ││Calibre Library││". The thing that throws me, other than general ignorance, is that when I add an ebook to the library, it adds it just fine, and the new ebook appears in the list of ebooks in the main window. The problem is that that list, except for the couple of new books I tried adding, is from the original library I added and then spent some time editing metadata (which was easy and very cool, but none of the edited ebooks show up in that list). However, "Calibre Library" does actually contain the edited ebooks.

For what it's worth, the Calibre Library file contains both a metadat.db and a metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file. Both have todays date but, I assume, reflect the list of books that are shown in the main window of Calibre.

If you've got any suggestions, I'd be most grateful to try them.

Thanks, again.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drn001 View Post
For what it's worth, the Calibre Library file contains both a metadat.db and a metadata_db_prefs_backup.json file. Both have todays date but, I assume, reflect the list of books that are shown in the main window of Calibre.

If you've got any suggestions, I'd be most grateful to try them.

Thanks, again.
You are correct. Those are for the current Library
Since the folder name IS the Library name (Calibre Library is just a default name. It can be anything).

Search your computer for metadata.db, you may have 2 folders (different path) with Libraries. (return here if you find more than 1 and we will continue)
Old 10-09-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
drn001

I don't find any other metadata.db files. What does seem to be true is that the only files that are "missing" in the files listed in the main window in Calibre are files that I changed (and all of those are missing). I did notice that, for the books that are missing, the records in the window point to files that don't exist. Specifically, the numerical identifier for the file in the window does not match the numerical identifier in the library file (where a file does exist). I guess the question is: is there a way to read the existing files into list in the window and delete the records in the window that point to files that don't exist? Sorry to try your patience.
Advert
Old 10-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
I don't find any other metadata.db files. What does seem to be true is that the only files that are "missing" in the files listed in the main window in Calibre are files that I changed (and all of those are missing). I did notice that, for the books that are missing, the records in the window point to files that don't exist. Specifically, the numerical identifier for the file in the window does not match the numerical identifier in the library file (where a file does exist). I guess the question is: is there a way to read the existing files into list in the window and delete the records in the window that point to files that don't exist? Sorry to try your patience.
Create a New Library (in a new location): right click the Library Icon: Create / Switch: Create (option to use the existing structure, useful if you have custom columns)

Backup you 'Bad Library' just in case things go really south.
Once that completes, Switch back to the 'bad' Library: Select All (ctrl+A): Right-click: Copy to Library:<the new name>: Delete after copy.
Switch to the New Library.

What is left in the Old (bad) folder, are titles that Calibre lost track of.
You can use the Add Books: the from directories Single book in dif formats to pick those up.
Preferences Adding Books has options for when duplicates are found
Old 10-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #7
drn001

Wow, thanks.

I'm on it. I'll let you know when it works. Again, thanks.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
drn001

I think I must have done something wrong. I think I followed your directions exactly and now the main window in Calibre is empty. Nothing went horribly wrong because my library is now happily in its new folder. Furthermore, I can add a new ebook, which is then added to the new folder (along with all the old books). Interestingly, in the new library there are now folders for the old versions of ebooks that I either edited or changed somehow (these folders contain only a metadata file and nothing else. All working folders contain an epub file, a cover, and a metadata file).

While I think I followed your instructions, there are at least two places where I may have erred. First, I did not copy the metadata file from the "Bad library" as there was a metadata file in the "new library" after I created it. Second, toward the end of your previous post you note: "What is left in the Old (bad) folder, are titles that Calibre lost track of." However, when I deleted the "bad library", all titles were gone, and when I opened Calibre, there were no ebooks listed in Calibre's main window.

Again, I recognize that this is something I did wrong, but I can't figure out what it might be.

Thanks, again, for your patience.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

COPY to Library is NOT an OS function.
It is a right-click (context menu) option.

Creating the Library (step 1) made the metadata.db (0 books)
Copy to Library, moves the books and make entries as it goes.
Delete after copy removes folders that transfer

What is left, is your problem books

RULE #1: Never use the OS to make adjustments to any file or folder in the Library. Calibre does everything needed from the GUI or CLI tools and keeps the DB in sync with reeality
Old 10-10-2017, 02:22 PM   #10
drn001

Ah. I see. Unfortunately, I think, I now have no books to copy. When I right click the main window in Calibre, where I DO see the copy to library (delete after copy). When I choose that option I get a message saying "no books selected", which is certainly true since there are no books in the window to select. I'm really sorry I'm so dense, but how do I select the books in the library if they aren't in the window and I should stay away from using Windows? Again, apologies and thanks.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Ah. I see. Unfortunately, I think, I now have no books to copy. When I right click the main window in Calibre, where I DO see the copy to library (delete after copy). When I choose that option I get a message saying "no books selected", which is certainly true since there are no books in the window to select. I'm really sorry I'm so dense, but how do I select the books in the library if they aren't in the window and I should stay away from using Windows? Again, apologies and thanks.
You don't
Your Library is totally broken
I can't see what you still have, so I can't suggest ways to do repairs.

BTW Calibre will NOT allow creation or switching to just any occupied folder.
Switch only allow selecting a folder with the DB (top level of a library).
Create requires an Empty folder.

Something was done to cause something to stomped on things
Old 10-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
@drn001 - did you not follow this advice ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Backup you 'Bad Library' just in case things go really south.
BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #13
drn001

I did follow that advice. My library still exists, it sounds like I just can't use it with Calibre. You did your best, with dubious "help" (i.e. me), and I appreciate it the attempt. Many thanks.