Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #61
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
You just mentioned why it's bad for the customers. The removal of memory card interfaces have nothing to do with the price, it's just an excuse. The real reason is the control upon the sources.
You've slightly lost me there. Why does the removal of a memory card slot on a device which is intended purely for user-loaded content (as the Sony is) have any impact whatsoever on content sources?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:58 AM   #62
LarryNYC
Groupie
LarryNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony DPT-S1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You've slightly lost me there. Why does the removal of a memory card slot on a device which is intended purely for user-loaded content (as the Sony is) have any impact whatsoever on content sources?
Yeah, I'm lost too. I can load any PDF I want onto the Sony. There are no blocks based on DRM. Perhaps that is why Sony stayed away from other formats than PDF so they don't have to deal with the DRM issues.
LarryNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 11:01 AM   #63
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
Yep - Sony quote 10,000 PDFs at 1MB each (which is typical for a business document). Those of us who have 300MB PDFs are of course slightly less fortunate . (That's why I bought a 256GB iPad.)
iPads are terrific, I'm tempted to get an iPad Pro, but I already stare into two 27" screens all day long. It's nice to give my eyes a break from such brightly lit displays by using an eInk device, such as the DPT-S1, for taking notes and making sketches.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:05 AM   #64
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryNYC View Post
iPads are terrific, I'm tempted to get an iPad Pro, but I already stare into two 27" screens all day long. It's nice to give my eyes a break from such brightly lit displays by using an eInk device, such as the DPT-S1, for taking notes and making sketches.
I entirely understand your concern. I've never personally had any issues reading on LCD screens, but I appreciate that many people do. I do prefer to read fiction on my eInk Kindle Voyage, though.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #65
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Is Box.com the only cloud option? No Dropbox?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #66
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Simply, because one (Sony) controls the way the user adds files to the device. Pretty much like Apple does with her iTunes.

It is true that Sony could also restrict the use of card interface, but this required some software programming whereas the HW removal was simpler and cheaper.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:23 PM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The device mounts as a USB mass storage device (i.e. an external drive) and you can add any content you wish simply by copying files to that drive. I'm afraid I really don't see how this is any more or less restrictive than using a memory card. It does not require the use of any special software like iTunes.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #68
aydio
aydio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
The device mounts as a USB mass storage device (i.e. an external drive) and you can add any content you wish simply by copying files to that drive. I'm afraid I really don't see how this is any more or less restrictive than using a memory card. It does not require the use of any special software like iTunes.
It could be the case this time. From what I see, Sony is promoting the way of adding files via a cloud service or a printer driver that pretends the DPT-RP1 to be a blank piece of paper where the document is printed on. However, I don't think it's because Sony wants to control the way people load PDFs onto the digital paper but rather because it seems more intuitive to the average user (everyone knows how to print a document). The conparison with iTunes is not really fitting because Apple, unlike Sony, is forcing an ecosystem upon you (the iTunes store, App Store, iBooks store, etc.)
aydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Let's wait and see, but I really REALLY doubt that the USB mass storage capability is going away.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:31 PM   #70
LarryNYC
Groupie

Quote:
I entirely understand your concern. I've never personally had any issues reading on LCD screens, but I appreciate that many people do. I do prefer to read fiction on my eInk Kindle Voyage, though.
I use the DPT-S1 for my work, mainly for taking notes, and have only read one short story on it, Chekhov's Gooseberries, if you'd like to know. I also prefer the Kindle for reading, in my case the Oasis. It's just easier to read in bed with the Kindle, and, of course, the Kindle has a nice backlight.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 AM   #71
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
I am sorry then, if this is true. The reviews I have read did not mention any method to upload PDFs than via WLAN, thus my conclusion.

Anyway, let's hope the internal memory is of a good quality, otherwise one may have to throw an expensive device because one bit is locked after finishing its R/W cycles.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No problem at all. Just wanted to clarify that it does, in fact, mount as an external drive, just like other eInk devices do.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:14 AM   #73
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It might be longer for a non-Japanese version to be released. The spec page mention that the NFC protocol is FeLica, a proprietary protocol used in Japan for, I believe, more than 15 years. This is not compatible with NFC used in the U.S. and Europe.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:18 AM   #74
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What would NFC be used for on a device this large? I always associate NFC with portable devices, which this hardly qualifies as.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #75
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Supposedly to lock and unlock, also perhaps to make it the active printer in a home network. It comes with an app that allows you to print PDF files to it, kind of similar to how you can insert PDF files in OneNote.