Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
AllesMeins
AllesMeins began at the beginning.

Device: none
Will I be able to disable/delay screensaver on current kindle?

Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Kindle (the cheapest version) to use it as a digital recipe-display in my kitchen. One thing I'm concerned about is the screen-timeout I read about. I want the display of the device to stay on while I'm cooking.

So will I be able to somehow make sure that the screen stays on for at least an hour on an current gen kindle?

I've never owned a kindle before, but I'm tech-savvy enough that doing some "hacking" wouldn't be a problem.
AllesMeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Kindle sleep screen time can't be altered in the normal Kindle menus. After 10 minutes of no activity, the sleep screen appears. E-ink Kindles aren't the best devices for cookbooks IMO, if that is what you're thinking. The small Greyscale screens just aren't the best option for that type of book, not to mention the navigation issues with badly formatted digital cookbooks.

Fire tablets have time-out options, as do other tablets like iPads.

I use the Kindle app on my iPads for cookbooks, and have most of my own recipes in the Evernote app, also on all of my iDevices. I've used e-ink Kindles since 2009, but never for cookbooks or recipes.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllesMeins View Post
Hi, I'm thinking about buying a Kindle (the cheapest version) to use it as a digital recipe-display in my kitchen. One thing I'm concerned about is the screen-timeout I read about. I want the display of the device to stay on while I'm cooking.

So will I be able to somehow make sure that the screen stays on for at least an hour on an current gen kindle?

I've never owned a kindle before, but I'm tech-savvy enough that doing some "hacking" wouldn't be a problem.
Automatic sleeping (screen-timeout) can be disabled on kindles by the magic search string ~ds. Unfortunately, on kindles without jailbreak it can only be re-enabled by restarting (rebooting). The power button short press (manual sleep) does not work when sleep is disabled and non jailbroken kindles can not be powered off.

If you are OK with rebooting after each use, you can disable sleeping on kindles, or you can buy a current paperwhite kindle (PW4) and jailbreak it, but you would still have to remember to re-enable sleep.

Many people do not like to use kindles to display recipes for other reasons, but some do.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
AllesMeins
AllesMeins began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
E-ink Kindles aren't the best devices for cookbooks IMO, if that is what you're thinking. The small Greyscale screens just aren't the best option for that type of book, not to mention the navigation issues with badly formatted digital cookbooks.
Thanks for the warning... I already have most of my recipes in a database and could serve them to the kindle via webserver/browser properly formated. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Automatic sleeping (screen-timeout) can be disabled on kindles by the magic search string ~ds.
Does this still work on current Kindles? I came across this command on my search but some people always claimed that it doesn't work anymore with current firmware...

Last edited by AllesMeins; 11-08-2020 at 05:02 PM.
AllesMeins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:16 PM   #5
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Does this still work on current Kindles? I came across this command on my search but some people always claimed that it doesn't work anymore with current firmware...
I do not know. My most recent kindle is the 2017 Oasis 2, on which ~ds works fine.

You can hope that someone reputable who knows or is in a position to test will report or you can download a recent firmware from amazon and use kindletool to check whether
/usr/bin/ds.sh exists, but that is more work than I am willing to do.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2020, 11:54 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
It sounds like your requirements make a traditional cookbook, on a stand, better for you. Or a recipe from your computer printed, then taped to a wall or kitchen cabinet for viewing.

What benefit are you expecting the Kindle to provide as a recipe display? A Kindle screen is much smaller than, and graphically inferior to, a cookbook or printed sheet of paper. At least your cookbook doesn't automatically close on you after 10 minutes.

The only place I see for an electronic device displaying a recipe, is in an advertisement to sell you that electronic device.
haertig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

You would be better getting a Kobo. You can change the time before it sleeps or even turn off the sleep timer.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
It sounds like your requirements make a traditional cookbook, on a stand, better for you. Or a recipe from your computer printed, then taped to a wall or kitchen cabinet for viewing.
The only place I see for an electronic device displaying a recipe, is in an advertisement to sell you that electronic device.
A €120 to €130 10" Android tablet works fine for patterns and recipes. Some current ones only take a 32G SD card, but the Lenovo one at about €130 works with a 256 G micro SD.

About €8 for a folio cover stand by Trust.

An ereader is monochrome and above 7" gets very expensive.

Our Colour laser print usage has collapsed since I got a 2nd 10" tablet The savings in paper and toner will soon pay for it.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would also recommend an Android tablet. I have a bunch of recipes stored in Google Keep, which has very limited formatting, but it's a recipe so who cares. Even though I have a 10 inch tablet I almost always use my phone because it's near the kitchen and doesn't take much space.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But ye canna beat eink for masses of text based fiction!
Old 11-10-2020, 12:52 PM   #11
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
I converted all my recipes to an ebook, and when I find more I like just keep adding. So easy to find a recipe I want using the table of contents. My PW4 works perfectly for me even when it times out after the 10 mins.
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Yes, that works well for text, or recipes you write up yourself, but not for fancy PDFs with juicy photos
Old 11-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
Gandulf
Addict
Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gandulf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Yes, that works well for text, or recipes you write up yourself, but not for fancy PDFs with juicy photos
Find it easier making something from reading text, than from looking at a photo no matter how juicy it looks
Gandulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screensaver, sleep disable